Total worth of USA's nuclear weapons

tali

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:02 pm
What is the total financial worth of USA's nuclear weapons - and how does it compare to other nuclear nations ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,532 • Replies: 25
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 06:18 pm
@tali,
Total financial worth is what regards?

You mean the total worth of the nuclear materials in the weapons if we converted them into fuel for power plants or other non-weapons uses?

The total cost of producing the weapons in the first place and or maintaining them?

Worth if we sold them on ebay one at a time or in job lots?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:03 pm
@BillRM,
I'm waiting to see them sold at the $0.99 store!
roger

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 01:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Only the remainders. The first two or three should make a pretty good price. If it turns out they don't work, the rest will be give aways.
tali

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 07:26 am
@BillRM,
If we are keeping the thread serious then we'll stick with the most blinding obvious one.
"The total cost of producing the weapons in the first place and or maintaining them?"
BillRM

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 07:55 am
@tali,
If we are keeping the thread serious then we'll stick with the most blinding obvious one.
"The total cost of producing the weapons in the first place and or maintaining them?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It might have been nice if you had been, a little clearer in the first place now would it not?

There is no such thing as financial worth for an object with no market so unless such countries as North Korea begin selling such weapons to others nuclear weapons have zero financial worth in the common meaning of the term.

ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:09 am
@tali,
Are we talking about "cost" or "worth". These are two separate issues. There are things that cost a lost and are not worth very much... and there are things that are worth a lot but don't have much cost.

The question is whether nuclear weapons that you don't use have any "worth". I wouldn't even pay $0.99 for one-- since I don't even know where I would store it.
BillRM

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
@ebrown p,
The question is whether nuclear weapons that you don't use have any "worth". I wouldn't even pay $0.99 for one-- since I don't even know where I would store it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No problem with storing a nuke as they had small ones that can fit into your closet and would even allow my ultralight to become a nuclear bomber!
ebrown p

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 09:39 am
@BillRM,
For someone like me, who has no interest in being a nuclear bomber, even a small nuke I could put in my closet isn't worth $0.99 (the fact that I wouldn't be willing to sell it, and that its disposal would have a big cost, such a nuke would actually have a negative worth).

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 10:08 am
@roger,
They still make great stocking stuffers for Christmas! Very Happy
0 Replies

tali

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 02:26 pm
@BillRM,
I think we are going off in tangents - some hypothetical and some philosophical(although i feared this from the onset)
What has the USA spent in cold hard cash terms(and adjusting for inflation)from Day One on their nuclear weapons programme ?
djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 02:29 pm
@tali,
tali wrote:
What has the USA spent in cold hard cash terms(and adjusting for inflation)from Day One on their nuclear weapons programme ?

37 dollars and 56 cents
tali

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 11:43 am
@djjd62,
Lol ! No you are getting mixed up - that's what you charge to rent your smelly abused ass out.Lol!
djjd62

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:05 pm
@tali,
i'm guessing that the amount i quoted is probably a little low, but since you have no other point of reference, either accept it or prove me wrong

as for my ass, it's quite hygienic and abuse free
tali

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 11:30 am
@djjd62,
Okay i 'll take your figures and expand them to 3.7 trillion and 56 cents.
Apologies for questioning your rectal conditions.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:29 pm
@tali,
LOL your question illustrates Oscar Wilde's observation "Americans know the price of everything and the value of nothing."

You got to be specific on costs - are you capitalizing R+D? The Russians did plenty of research on their own but stole a helluva lot as well, and the Israelis stole practically everything. Maintening the weapons also varies with time, e.g. we no longer manufacture tritium so expect Canadians to supply some of theirs. Then there's different security costs, if your weapons are stockpiled in the middle of Siberia or near downtown Seattle. And so on.
Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:33 pm
I keep seeing this thread title, and wondering if he has a buyer . . .
roger

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:34 pm
@High Seas,
Ah, but maintenance is not capitalized. It is an expense.

Question: are we depreciating the things, and if so, what is the class life?
roger

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:36 pm
@Setanta,
Inshallah
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 02:36 pm
@Setanta,
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Back with the Falklands war the price of an Exocet missile suddenly reached $2m (at the time considerable money) in the black market. Bid, not ask - but the way our public finances are going, we may just have to hold a fire sale.
0 Replies