chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 01:05 pm
I just finished repainting my walkways and driveway, and will put on a sealer in the next few days.

While working, I got the idea to print out some pictures, like a koi, or flowers or something, and place them in a couple of spots.

I was thinking I could print them on clear transparancies, ones with an adhesive backing.
But, I don't think the sealer would be enough to keep them down, keep them sealed in and kept from peeling up.

I'm not commited to this idea, just a random whimsey.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what to paint on top of a clear transparency.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,997 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:38 pm
I think you're better off cutting them out to make a stencil and then painting them on before sealing them. I don't believe the transparencies will stick, either.
Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:40 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I just finished repainting my walkways and driveway, and will put on a sealer in the next few days.

Nothing to add here chai. Just wondered if you were interested in popping over and doing the same for our small concrete patio in our back yard?

You're such a workhorse! Wink Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:49 pm
@Mame,
Mame's got it - make a stencil - paint it on. There's a more than even chance the transparencies 1) won't stick and 2) will be lifted by the sealer when you apply it on top.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:51 pm
@chai2,
Epoxy.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 02:56 pm
If your hell bent against painting a design you could use wax or tissue paper.. I've done it on rocks, wood and glass, but you'll have to use many layers of sealent, which will change the colour of the design.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 03:39 pm
thanks everyone

yeah, my first thought was to make a stencil, and paint it on.

However, it's hard to impossible to to that on concrete, since you never get a completely even surface. I know that from painting a harlequin design on my patio. I love the way it looks, and my next project as it cools down is to either touch it up, or pressure wash it and start from scratch with maybe a different design.

Straight lines/geometic patterns work best. After penciling in the lines with a straight edge, you can apply masking tape to get the edges straight. You have to make sure every millimeter is firmly down on the concrete, or the least little amount of paint will seep under. I could never get a stencil to adhere that closely.

I welcome any other suggestions though.

Reyn, I'm far from a workhorse, I'm one lazy person.
2PacksAday

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 04:47 pm
@chai2,
I'd test this first...maybe you happen to have a cinder block laying around.....try a coat of clear epoxy paint, put the pic right into the fresh paint, let it dry, then put another coat on top of it.
chai2

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2009 05:48 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

I'd test this first...maybe you happen to have a cinder block laying around.....try a coat of clear epoxy paint, put the pic right into the fresh paint, let it dry, then put another coat on top of it.

cinder block Laughing

my husband insists that's a yankee thing. I always say cinder block now to get a rise out of him.

Yeah, I'm gonna try that.
Rockhead PM'd me one word....urethane.

While checking around, I found a website that actually sells sheets that are specifically for conditions outside, waterproof, with UV protection, and all that stuff. It's called waterslide decal paper. I'll call them tomorrow and see if it will work in my situation. From the description, it's made for laser printers, and protects the ink.

ok, I'm on a mission.
0 Replies