How do you make the perfect one?

lovejoy

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 08:16 am
Medium boiled egg that is.

Usually I only eat hard boiled eggs to go with a salad which is easy enough, put egg in cold water, bring to boil and leave 5 minutes

but I want to do a couple of medium eggs to go with finney haddock. Any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 4,000 • Replies: 24
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by lovejoy
Merry Andrew
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 25 Sep, 2009 10:42 am
@lovejoy,
lovejoy wrote:

I want to do a couple of medium eggs to go with finney haddock. Any suggestions?

D'ye mean 'finnan haddie'? Never heard of finney haddock.

My mom used to do soft-boiled and medium-soft eggs all the time. The only thing I remember about that is she put them in boiling water, not cold, and timed it quite precisely. But don't ask me exactly how many minutes. You may need to experiment with that until you get it right.
lovejoy

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2009 04:11 am
@Merry Andrew,
Finny haddock
Finnan haddock

same thing
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:30 am
This truly is the site where cooking experts hang out not one of you can tell me how to boil an egg?????????
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:37 am
@lovejoy,
thats a bit hard

perhaps you've overcooked it
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:43 am
Here's Cav's take on hard boiled eggs. Sounds like you've got the technique and only have to get the timing down.

http://able2know.org/topic/27622-1
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 01:46 am
@lovejoy,
To me your question has already been replied.

Let's start again:

1- Fill a pan, which dimensions are adapted to the eggs, with sufficient water to cover them.

2- Put it on a medium fire.

3- When the water starts boiling (simmering) put your eggs in there.

4- Let the water boil for two minutes.

5- Take your eggs out.

6-In order to facilitate taking out the eggshell you can cool down your eggs under tap water.

It works for me...
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:32 am
Doesn't work for me Francis every time I put eggs in boiling water within seconds the shells split and egg white is floating around the pan
Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:36 am
@lovejoy,
You are boiling them in too high a temperature.

Remember, water simmering when you put them in, medium fire, two minutes.

The shells never split in this case.

Try adding salt to the water.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:46 am
I use an egg cooker, I measure the water at "medium" put the eggs in and turn it on, when the light comes on I take out perfectly medium cooked eggs.
Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:55 am
@dyslexia,
Automated process, Dys, all American..

For the enlightenment of the crowds:
Boiled egg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:56 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
You are boiling them in too high a temperature.

Ah... Water boils at a constant temperature. Changing the burner will affect how fast the water boils, but not how hot the water is.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 09:59 am
@DrewDad,
now I'm curious, what is the difference between "simmering" and "roiling" when it comes to water boiling.
Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:02 am
@DrewDad,
You maybe a good teacher, but I doubt of your cooking abilities...

Temperature gradient affects cooking...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:07 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
Temperature gradient affects cooking...

Er... Temperature gradient? Water is a very good conductor of heat; there isn't likely to be much change in temperature between the bottom of the pan and the top of the pan.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:08 am
@dyslexia,
That, I could understand. Applying too much heat causes turbulent water, which causes the eggs to crack.

But the water temperature remains the same in either case.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:14 am
@DrewDad,
Then tell us how to cook the perfect egg...
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:24 am
@Francis,
Fry it in bacon grease.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:29 am
@lovejoy,
You're doing something wrong. Try putting a teaspoon of salt in with the boiling water. It won't actually prevent the shells from splitting if that's what they're prone to do but it will seall the srack quickly and prevent any of the egg itself from floating out into the water. But that splitting of shells should not be a constant thing, just occasional, if the shell has been weakened for some reason. I don't understand why they should always split.

And, btw, Francis is quite correct. Water may start to boil at a constant temp., but that temp. certainly increases as the water boils. Else there would never be any evaporation. There sure is such a thing as a temperature gradient.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 10:53 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
And, btw, Francis is quite correct. Water may start to boil at a constant temp., but that temp. certainly increases as the water boils. Else there would never be any evaporation. There sure is such a thing as a temperature gradient.

I suggest you try it with a thermometer.

Increasing the heat applied to the pan will increase the rate at which water turns to steam, but not the temperature of the boiling water.

Also, adding salt will make the water boil at a higher temperature. (Although probably not by a significant, or even noticeable, amount with any typical amount of salt.)