cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:48 pm
Here's a twist to your seeking the "lowest cost of living" city in the US.

I think you need to balance the potential of earnings against the cost of living; if you can't make a living in the lowest cost city/town/village, then it doesn't make any difference. Most people need to balance income vs out-go to determine the location of their choice.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:56 pm
I guess...it's just that I work from home and can work anywhere, so why pay high rent in Austin, Texas?

BUT, my rent's not that high and I do like where I live.

I'm building my business and want to have a modest home with low, low taxes and be able to grow my own darn tomatoes...you know?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:11 pm
dupre wrote:
I guess...it's just that I work from home and can work anywhere, so why pay high rent in Austin, Texas?

BUT, my rent's not that high and I do like where I live.

I'm building my business and want to have a modest home with low, low taxes and be able to grow my own darn tomatoes...you know?

Are you interested in buying a house on 3 acres just across the border in OK? The taxes are really low! Razz
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:12 pm
hey fishin'

got one for sale?
0 Replies

a 2 k

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 03:56 pm
Dupre, this thread was started in 2003, so I'm just curious to know, did you ever decide on a place to live? If so, what place did you choose and what were your reasons for choosing it?

I too am looking for a place with low crime, low taxes, and a low cost of living.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:20 pm
How nice of you to ask!

I currently live in a lovely low-priced tiny apartment of only 480 sq. ft.

The complex has gorgeous landscaping, long-term tenants, and a private park.

My window overlooks an amazingly beautiful tiled pool. And I like my neighbors.

In my apartment I do have over a thousand reference books and my brand-new handcrafted 6'3" grand piano, AND I run my business from here, so living well on the cheap can absolutely by done.

I am considering retirement at a retirement RV Resort. You can bring your Park Model Home.

They offer a lifetime lease for almost nothing and it comes with your water and electrical hook-ups ready to go. They have WiFi, an indoor heating swimming pool, acres and acres of land and trails, a hot tub, campfire stories, Karaoke, a restaurant and more.

I will also be able to go tubing and canoeing, horseback riding, attend star gazing parties with telescopes, share my books with the onsite library, etc.

I can even--finally!--have my own garden.

I think the lowest price lifetime lease of the land is around ten thousand. You don't pay ANY taxes on that.

The lowest price Park Model Home I've found, complete with brand-new brand-name appliances, etc. is about $20,000. If you go this way, do check the levels of toxins used in construction.

If I live in it year-round, I would have to pay property taxes on it as a residence, but at that location and for that low of a value, my taxes would be dirt cheap.

I'll get about acres of beauty and privacy when I want them and lots of interesting neighbors, too.

Here's a link to the one I'm considering when I have the money saved up.

http://www.caribbeancowboyrvresort.com/
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:26 pm
Stunning Park Model Homes

http://www.superiorparkmodelhomes.com/

There are many more vendors.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:31 pm
dupre, Looks like you have found what you were looking for. Congrats!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:33 pm
Thank you!

a 2 k, welcome to able2know.

What sort of place are you looking for?

What sort of hobbies, landscape, and lifestyle would include most of what you hope for?
PiecefulHeart

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 03:55 pm
@dupre,
Hi -
We're looking too. Getting close to retirement and frankly have had enough of the humidity here in Arkansas. I just do not think that you should be able to feel the air when you go outside.

We currently have just over 5 acres and the cost of living is rather great but ... we'd like some place drier. Any suggestions? I've hit all of the 'check it out' sites and while they come up with some good suggestions, I'd like to find out who lives there and why they like it.

We live currently in Greenbrier, AR (about 30 minutes NW of Little Rock). It is a growing area and not too far from a bigger city. We'd like something about the same. So we're open to checking out other sites if you know of some. We have been talking about Texas since there is no state income tax but just wondering if the costs are made up in other areas (like property tax or vehicle licensing).
mom2bbjandag

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:11 pm
@PiecefulHeart,
How about 4-5 br, 3 ba house on 84 acres in a country setting, dead-end blacktop road, 3 mi from Wal-Mart, 4 mi from very nice hospital. Great schools, low crime. Low cost of living... my family of 6 lives on about $31K a year, including all housing. No state income taxes in TN (at least not yet!). Lots of nice land to build on, usually $2K-3k an acre, less if you buy more. Property taxes very low. West TN area, 2 hr drive from Nashville or Memphis, 1 hr drive to Jackson (TN), less to other larger towns. We have about 3,500 people here. Beginning to be more of a retirement community, but it's laid-back, quiet and close knit.
0 Replies

Johnnie

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 06:21 pm
Try the small towns in Iowa. I recently saw a house for $12,000. with property taxes less than $100. a year. The same house in Milwaukee would be over $200,000. Unreal. The jobs don't pay that well you would be doing good at $10 or $12 an hour. Great place to retire.
dupre

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2009 09:44 pm
@Johnnie,
Thanks, Johnnie. Hadn't even looked at Iowa. Great idea!
0 Replies

s0caltrukker

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 03:33 am
@miketitell,
LMAO!!! Trona stinks, literally. I grew up in Ridgecrest back in the late 70's and the 80's. We use to go swimming at the Trona pool. Kerr McGee was the name of the sulfer plant.
0 Replies

s0caltrukker

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 03:51 am
@dupre,
Trust me, you dont want to live in Trona or as we used to call it "Tuna" The place reeks of sulfer. Have you and/or your boyfriend ever lived in Cali? Are you looking to rent or buy? Cause if you looking to buy now is the time. I guarantee you California will be the first to rebound and when that happens home values will once again go through the roof. Pretty much most of the state is pretty cheap right now. Except the coastal and major cities. But anywhere on the High Deseret(Victorville, Mojave, Barstow) or Central/San Juaqin Valley(Fresno, Bakersfield, Stockton, Modesto, and even Sacramento) Stay away from the Bay area, LA/OC, and San Diego
0 Replies