dupre

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:18 pm
I've been searching for the city with the lowest cost of living in the U.S.

Evidently, Joplin ranks this year as the second lowest, in its category.

Anyone know what the lowest is?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 44,985 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:30 pm
dupre- Don't know offhand, but this may be helpful:

http://www.bestplaces.net/

0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 06:11 pm
WOW! Terrific site.

Thanks so much. The city I had picked originally has an enormous crime rate and is more expensive than some others on the list.

Much appreciated.

I'm checking out Brownsville, San Benito, and Los Fresno now.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 06:21 pm
dupre, Are you retired? Just wondering, because many Americans move to Mexico for their retirement where the cost of living is on the cheap, and usually improve their living style tremendously.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
Hi. cicerone imposter. I did notice online that many Americans are retiring abroad. I can see you doing that, you are such a world traveler, but frankly, that's a bit of a stretch for me.

I am not retired, however, I do work from home. Actually, I have an office now, since the home is going through major renovations. It's not my house, and I'm not sure I want to stay.

I would need to be somewhere FedEx can get to without any extra out-of-country charges.

The above Web site really helped. Paris, Texas was touting itself as an idea retirement spot. Turns out the violent crime there was, gosh, I think, four times that of Brownsville. Lots of rapists and crimes against children, oh my! Brownsville average cost of housing was $66,000 to the national, I think, $112,000 with an 80 percent cost-of-living. The site may be dated with their Brownsville info, though. I think Nafta turned a few things around for them.

I also found Eagle Pass, still less expensive than even Brownsville, but I couldn't find any homes available so far.

I'm really thinking New Braunfels. I did live there for a year, and even though it is pricey compared to the others, the city offers much.

Thanks for asking.

Do you know anything about retiring abroad?

Sounds adventurous and affordable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
Brownsville, Eagle Pass, and Larado are border towns. If you are moving, I would suggest you keep looking.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:32 pm
roger, is it really that bad? The statistics are favorable compared to Paris, Texas, next to the Arkansas border! LOL!

I'm looking now at, by mistake--I meant to search for Eagle Pass--Eagle Lake. Found a neat house, actually two, for less than $35,000. Seems like a nice enough town, if you don't have to make a living off their economy.

And everything is green there.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:46 pm
Just an opinion:
The border between the US and Mexico is horrible.
Both sides.
I wouldn't live in Brownsville, Tijuana, Piedras Negras, Eagle Pass, Laredo or Juarez if my salary was doubled.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 01:59 pm
Dupre, try this site.

Best Places to Live
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 03:39 pm
mckenzie, thanks! An interesting site. I've just spent time sizing up Indiana and Florida.

Geez! I had no idea anyone in the world was paying $77 per $1,000 for property tax. But I guess that's why Franklin, IN gets a 5 (1 being the safest) out of 100 for crime rate.
0 Replies

lost my calgon

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 02:39 pm
dupre...
you want fedex benefits.....move to Avon, Indiana !!! Or better yet, Plainfield, Indiana. Both cities have a low crime rate and are growing so fast it seems new schools are always in the making. These two cities are just 40 minutes from Franklin, Indiana but are within 10miles of the FED EX main headquarters, shopping, doctors, and the airport. They have great access to everything you need and still have lots of land available!!!!!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 01:19 pm
Hello, lost_my_calgon. Welcome to able2know. Love the name!

Thanks for the idea. I've decided to settle pretty near to where I am currently living after all. Low taxes, safe area, some not-too-expensive housing is available. I have a friend out there and there is a budding literary community, near Austin and San Antonio: Canyon Lake, Texas.

Thanks for your input and the information about FedEx.
0 Replies

THE GAME

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 12:31 pm
Cost of Living in paris
Just a little FYI
Paris is rated as #2 in the lowest cost of living ratings in Texas cities
The New Rating Guide to Life in America's Small Cities
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2004 01:02 pm
Hello, the Game. Which city is #1 in the lowest cost of living rating in Texas cities?
0 Replies

miketitell

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:03 am
Houses from 10,000.00 and up
Trona California 93562
Three hours from Los Angeles not a pretty town but a low cost of living
a nice place to retire on low income
dupre

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:22 am
Hi, miketitell! And welcome to Able2Know.

Is there really an inexpensive place to live in California?

Hard to believe.

Thanks for the info. My boyfriend would very much like to be in Calif as opposed to Texas.
dupre

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:22 pm
Wow, over 12 thousand hits on this thread!

Must be an important topic for people!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:23 pm
I did learn that Roma, Texas, on the border has the lowest cost of living in Texas.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:24 pm
okay ... well ... i see there are threads that have lots and lots more ...

<sigh>
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:43 pm
HA!

it is an important subject.

Especially now with the economy doing back flips and companies laying off in an attempt to keep up..
0 Replies