Tent cities spread in Vancouver

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:31 am
C B C . C A N e w s
Tent cities spread in Vancouver
Last Updated Tue Oct 14 10:00:31 2003
http://www.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/print.cgi?/2003/10/13/tentcity031013

VANCOUVER-- What started as a protest against the lack of affordable places to live in Vancouver, has now spread to several city parks where tent cities have sprung up.

Vancouver park

Groups of homeless people are taking over parks throughout the city. "They are causing a lot of citizens to really feel like the parks are being taken over. Where will it stop. In many ways it's reflecting negatively on the homeless," said city councillor Jim Green.

At any given time there are at least four tent cities in different parts of downtown Vancouver. Hundreds - some say thousands of people - live in them.

Attempts to force the people to leave have led to controversy and conflict. The city says it is considering all options.

One of those options is to follow the example of Seattle, just south of Vancouver, where the city has sanctioned permanent tent cities.

"I don't think you can police tent cities out of existence, or legislate tent cities out of existence, because you'd have to legislate and police the problem - which is homelessness - out of existence," said Al Poole, spokesman for the city.

In Seattle, the tents can only stay for 60 days before moving on to the next location. No more than 100 people can live in the same area. And the land must be donated by private owners, or churches.

Al Poole

"We have a lot of anecdotal data that indicates people graduate from tent cities on a regular basis. In some ways it's like transitional housing for some people: work, save money move on. To me, that's the American way," said Poole.

But it is unlikely Vancouver will approve tent cities anytime soon. And social welfare activists say things are about to get worse.

In April stricter rules come into effect on welfare qualifications. Vancouver expects the changes will force 6,000 to 8,000 more people onto the streets.

Written by CBC News Online staff
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,014 • Replies: 3
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:35 am
Canada's version of Berkeley's People's Park
Are the Vancouver events Canada's version of Berkeley's People's Park?

History of Berkeley's People's Park:
http://www.pandemonia.com/pandemonia/occupation/explanation.html
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:52 pm
Seattle hasn't exactly "sanctioned permanent tent cities"... What it has done is grudgingly accept one group of permanent tenters, who may stay in one spot on PRIVATE PROPERTY (this usually translates to a church parking lot) for three months at a time. Then the tents must move to another spot, preferably in another part of the city.

The citizens of the tent city self-police, allow no drugs or alcohol, and keep the grounds where they stay clean. In addition, unemployed members (quite a number of residents either have steady jobs or work as day laborers) clean up litter on nearby streets and generally go out of their way to be good citizens.

At first there were complaints from nearby residents, but I haven't heard anything lately except that they leave a neighborhood cleaner than when they move into it. No one has reported any problems that I've heard of...

I think it beats forcing the homeless to sleep in doorways and thickets.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 03:26 pm
Wy
Wy, seems like a reasonable win-win arrangement.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies