Surviving Disaster

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:53 am
Anyone ever watch any of these shows? I watched how to survive a hijacked plane. It was full of useful information. I also learned how to land the plane if the pilots are not able so this could be helpful even if somehow both pilots were incapacitated for any other reason. This is especially going to be helpful as I will be traveling for work in a couple of weeks " yes and now I am terrified of flying.

And what have you learned today?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 2,879 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 10:58 am
@Linkat,
I always try to sit next to a nun when i fly...
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@Rockhead,
I would prefer to sit next to the "flying nun".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
Sure I am a knee-jerk liberal-- but this was my real reaction when I watched that show (my teen-aged son made me do it).

At first when the swarthy Middle-Eastern looking men high-jacked the plane. I remarked, out loud, that at least they let there be one man with dark skin among the heroic passengers.

Well, you can guess what happened....

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:16 am
@ebrown p,
No there was a black dude that helped take out the middle eastern terrorists.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:17 am
@Linkat,
No there wasn't, there was a black lady. The only dark skinned dude was the terrorist sleeper.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:20 am
The real problem is that the terrorists watch these shows too-- meaning that now they will know better than to answer a cell-phone thrown under a seat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:22 am
@ebrown p,
Maybe I'm getting Survivor mixed up with Surviving a Disaster. and besides that I didn't notice color - other than it was obvious that the terrorists fit the steriotical mold, but what do you expect on Spike TV?
ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 11:29 am
I wonder what are the odds that someone with no flight experience would be able to land a commercial plane without anyone dying. In the show they had radio contact with a pilot on the ground-- I am sure that the experts have an estimate of what the survival rate would be.

Also, linkat: A question (and no googling allowed).... do you remember, off the top of your head, what the emergency frequency is? (to me that was the only realistically helpful information in the whole show, although why they don't have a big red "SOS" button for these situations is beyond me).

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:08 pm
@ebrown p,
was it 7700? Or is that for something else - it sticks in my head.

I agree there should be some big button that says push if pilot is dead. Something any bonehead could find.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:09 pm
@ebrown p,
Well I will have to go back and re-watch this episode before I fly out. The one postive is that it will scare me thinking about all the wonderful things that could happen in flight that I won't sleep the whole night and will sleep instead on the flight. Thus making me useless if needed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:13 pm
@ebrown p,
Somewhere between slim chance and fat chance.
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:16 pm
@roger,
Great - now I'm be worried the whole time. I better get started practicing just in case.

Well I'm good I just found this on wikiHow. I'll be ready - now I just need to keep my eyes out for some big guys to take out the hijackers.
roger

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:24 pm
@Linkat,
You Go! Check in with a flight school. Ask for a discount because you don't need to learn how to take off. Let me know ahead of time; I'll keep an eye on the news for headlines involving Linkat.
Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:28 pm
@roger,
That might even be a better idea. I would think though that most small flight schools only show you how to land small planes. I wonder if I asked they would show me how to land a large plane?

Just want to be prepared in case. I used to practice writing with my toes when I was a kid, just in case I lost the use of my arms.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
Roger... I had this same argument with my 15-year old, who took the position that he could do it. I think that if they start installing controllers on planes with thumb sticks and a green triangle button... maybe a 15-year old could do it (I am thinking about writing the NTSB with this idea). I have never heard of a civilian ever even attempting to land a plane.

Linkat... you really don't need to worry.

First, the great majority of passengers on hijacked planes live to talk about it.

Second, compared to all of the other bad things that happen to airplanes (like pilot error, mechanical failure or bad weather) hijackings are pretty rare.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:32 pm
@Linkat,
or you could just take a parachute as a carry-on...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:33 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Maybe I'm getting Survivor mixed up with Surviving a Disaster.
and besides that I didn't notice color - other than it was obvious
that the terrorists fit the steriotical mold, but what do you expect on Spike TV?
That 's what the terrorists ARE. We r not still having any more problems with the VIKINGS.

David
Nee-jerk conservative libertarian hedonistic fonetic speller
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:34 pm
@Rockhead,
I wonder if that would make it through security.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Sep, 2009 03:45 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Roger... I had this same argument with my 15-year old,
who took the position that he could do it. I think that if they
start installing controllers on planes with thumb sticks and a green
triangle button... maybe a 15-year old could do it
(I am thinking about writing the NTSB with this idea).

On MYTHBUSTERS, thay both used a flite simulator
to find out if either them coud land a big jet. One of them had been
a Naval Seal for some years. Thay each crashed it on landing.
Neither of them even knew where to begin.

Quote:

I have never heard of a civilian ever even attempting to land a plane.
I 've read of that, but not with big jets.

David
0 Replies