What qualifies a man to talk about an issue like feminism?

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:40 am
@aidan,
Quote:
No, but you seemed to be outlining the positives inherent in that state without stating the negatives. I have gotten the impression from what you've written that you see it as being a fairly positive situation for mother, child and grandparents.

It's positive when it is positive which it usually is.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@Gala,
That's not the point, the point is, you're putting all the responsibility of not getting pregnant on the female. Sure, condoms break, but men are equally responsible if the woman gets knocked up.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let add some more comments it is not the male who will take the risks/discomfort of carrying a child to term and it is very very unlikely that a male with no marriage contract with you is going to be involved in the day-to-day rearing of a child.

The only thing the society can do is try to force the male to add funds toward the rearing of the child.

A female is the one who will end up bearing the costs and the rewards of having a child out of wedlock and not the male and fair or not that is how it is.

All and all it is far better to have a stable/long term relationship with a man who had willing sign on to getting up in the middle of the night and changing the babies ETC.

In other word not getting knock up before having this partner is a good idea and the woman is the one with the most to loss not her male sex partner if she does not do so.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:02 pm
I don't really get what the deal is with the whole men/virgin thing anyway.
You've got to be a bit weird to crave really **** sex with a wet fish.
I think Family Guy summed the issue up pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTW9aHf--co
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Now wait a minute Queenie. You can't go around maintaining that you are a member of the intellectual elite and then start equating something you don't get with being weird. That's D-stream comprehensive logic and inclines me to think that there's a possibility that you owe your university place to your physical attributes rather than your academic brilliance. Or, I suppose, that there was a quota to be filled on the positive discrimination malarkey.

You may not get it because of your reading all those Harry Potter books rather than those I have recommended.

A man likes to see an expression of surprise/wonder/awe on the face of a lady on that first entry of his thingy into her machine and only virgins can do it properly. I have seen it acted very well though on a number of occasions.

I also don't see why you assume that it would be "**** sex".

One is forced to assume if she is not a virgin that a time period has elapsed since her previous encounter. Do you think its length is of any importance. (Of the time period I mean).

You are always going to get confused if you persist in rejecting the received wisdom of the ages. It is a simple fact that the college or village bike and the second-hand dartboard has to make do with the remainder of the men after their more virtuous sisters have taken their pick. It is irrelevant what you think about that. It is a fact. Men do not care to walk the bride away from the altar or even the desk of a local government official and be winked at knowingly by their mates.
Gala

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:49 pm
@BillRM,
You're confusing who shoulders the responsibility with who is equally responsible. In theory, the guy ought to take on half the responsibility. Does this happen in real life? No. And therein lies the imbalance.

However, I am not going to be so cautious as to worry whether a condom will break or not. If it did break, and I'd gotten pregnant, well , abortions are legal, I would have had one. Mind you, my boyfriend would have had to have chipped in to pay for it...
Gala

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Quote:

Amen, sister.
BillRM

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@Gala,
If it did break, and I'd gotten pregnant, well , abortions are legal, I would have had one. Mind you, my boyfriend would have had to have chipped in to pay for it...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a very strong supporter of abortion rights but still it is amazing to me that any female would express such a lighthearted attitude toward ending a life within her.

Hell I can remember years later being unhappy about deciding to fix one of my female cats when she had a litter inside of her.

I can only hope that you will have a long life with great sex and with no children.
------------------------------------------------------------------
PS to any of you who are living in South Florida I have two very cute kittens who still need to find homes out of a litter of four. The mother decided to move her kittens behind a wall in front of my home and then neighborhood kids was interfering with the mother and her kittens so I ended up with them on an enclosed back porch.

They all had been check out by my vet and are litter train by way of the mother.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 02:13 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Now wait a minute Queenie. You can't go around maintaining that you are a member of the intellectual elite and then start equating something you don't get with being weird. That's D-stream comprehensive logic and inclines me to think that there's a possibility that you owe your university place to your physical attributes rather than your academic brilliance. Or, I suppose, that there was a quota to be filled on the positive discrimination malarkey.

Actually, I got an excellence scholarship without even having an interview or visiting the college so I think it was probably down to my application.

And I don't maintain that I belong to the club of the intellectual elite, do you not remember our postmodernism conversation?

Quote:
You may not get it because of your reading all those Harry Potter books rather than those I have recommended.

Yes, I am willing to admit Harry Potter may have hindered my development.

Quote:
A man likes to see an expression of surprise/wonder/awe on the face of a lady on that first entry of his thingy into her machine and only virgins can do it properly. I have seen it acted very well though on a number of occasions.

That is the most hilarious thing I have ever read.
Where did you get that idea from?
For most girls, loosing your virginity hurts like hell.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 02:19 pm
@Gala,
Quote:
You're confusing who shoulders the responsibility with who is equally responsible. In theory, the guy ought to take on half the responsibility. Does this happen in real life? No. And therein lies the imbalance.

Actually, I can only think of one person who I've heard this happen to, and it's because it was a one night stand with someone she didn't know.
I know a lot of girls who have had boyfriends/boys bending over backwards to try and help them.
In England I think there's definitely a consensus the responsibility is equal.
BillRM

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 02:34 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I do know here in the states of one case personally of a former co-worker who along with his family was the primary care givers to his young son he had by way of an ex-girlfriend.

That is not normal here in the states however.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 03:30 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
That you got in on your brilliant application does not alter the point about you declaring something weird because you don't get it. I was only having you on about it being your charms.

Quote:
That is the most hilarious thing I have ever read.
Where did you get that idea from?
For most girls, loosing your virginity hurts like hell.

I have experienced it.

If you put it about that it hurts like hell girls will tense up and it might well be the fear of it that causes the pain. There's a Russian proverb about that sort of thing.

It is also possible that the pain is caused by insufficient lead in time or inappropriate circumstances.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 03:37 pm
@spendius,
Maybe.
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't know anyone who has described 'awe'. All the girls I know said it hurt.
We all lost our virginity to our first boyfriends who were also virgins, so maybe that has something to do with it.
spendius

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 04:57 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Probably.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:11 pm
All the best feminists are men. We are just generally much better at it than women.
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:19 pm
@Eorl,
Someone's in a cheeky mood today. Very Happy
Eorl

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:44 pm
@msolga,
Yeah, on this thread, couldn't resist. (On that other thread I was quite serious, but it probably wasn't apparent. I'm the boy who cried "clown", I guess).
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:48 pm
@Eorl,
Oh I'm sorry (about my comment on the other thread), Eorl. I really thought you were joshing (about your feelings about circumcision). Whoops.
Eorl

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:54 pm
@msolga,
Oh! no apology neccessary! And now I've gone and diverted a damn fine thread! Sorry folks.

So, how about that Germaine Greer, hey?....
msolga

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:08 pm
@Eorl,
Sorry, sorry, folks!

Please continue now .....
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 12:04 am
@Gala,
Gala wrote:

Quote:

Amen, sister.

Is this what you were getting at earlier in terms of the male obsession with a woman's virginity? I think PQ (sup Queenie!) was talking about why a man would even want to have sex with a inexperienced partner. In other words, what's so great about a virgin?

I can't answer. I don't know, I can guess, but that's it. I know that the guys I know who are braggarts about that kind of thing are usually kind of sleazy. Perhaps they are the wet fish and they want an inexperienced partner that won't know how terrible they are (at least in theory...).

It's interesting. I have been in two relationships where my girlfriend has "given" me her virginity. Based on those experiences (and other second hand stuff) I'd say that (my generation perhaps) the women have a greater fixation on virginity (more specifically girls' virginity) be extraordinary or grail like even. In both of the relationships, their was a HUGE pressure on me because they had selected me. In both cases, I was supposed to acknowledge that I was somehow in debt to them and that my choice in making them my partner was a lesser gesture than theirs.

If you believe men are fixated on the oldest cliche in the book, then how do you explain these behaviors? It could certainly be just my experience, but I suspect that it is more common. In both those relationships, this topic returned over and over. Why can't a person's choice in a partner be special every time, not just the first time? I am a man, and by no means obsessed with a woman's virginity or perceived virginal nature. Wasn't implying that men have some obsession about this kind of a red herring?

As for earlier statements RE: "What any self respecting girl would do," I said you were perpetuating negative stereotypes, and I think you took it to mean that I was accusing you of intentionally doing this or of being judgmental. In truth, I don't think you meant any harm by the statement and were probably trying to put more emphasis on the respecting yourself part. I was just trying to point out that some memes hitchhike on the things we say, and the implication that what you did was what any girl "should" do is not trying to put you on defense "in absence of a better argument."

Spendi - I asked you a direct question (yes or no) and you failed to answer it. You said that on this topic I'm average at best. I'm totally in agreement. I haven't presented myself as an authority on the topic. Quite contrary, I quite openly question my ability on this matter. I'm interested and I care, so that's what I bring to the table and I hope it's enough to cover some ground. Maybe I can learn something along the way. It may be sport to you to troll threads and hijack them for your pleasure, while putting words like "scientific facts" in your posts just to eternally frustrate the actual scientists on A2K.

I'm not going to humor you forever. On the matter of fools, I don't have Charlie Brown's patience, nor Mr. T's pity. Grow up, or go get pissed and **** yourself, then write an essay about being enlightened on a bar napkin.

T
K
O