What qualifies a man to talk about an issue like feminism?

Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 06:53 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
I believe women are doing a disservice to women, and society in general, when little girls are given dolls to play with, and boys are given trucks to play with. There is nothing stopping the brain of a little girl to develop the abilities to do mechanical things and be competent without a man, when it comes to the world of inanimate objects. Something, I believe, women should ponder.

You don't have a daughter, do you.

Y porque Ud. quiere saberlo? Aqui no quiero hablar acerca de yo mismo. Lo siento.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 06:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Typical Foofie bullshit. I live in a city of more than 3,000,000 people. You call that rural? What an idiot.

That was not the impression I got from other postings. Sorry for the confusion. Then you can return to your urban activities.

For a student of history, you are aware that your hostility towards me and perhaps others, rather than tolerance, is so first half of the 20th century, I believe. Your quickness to anger seems to me to be anachronistic; very 1920's, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:02 pm
Your assumption that you are sufficiently important to me that i would grow angry at you is a rhetorical trick which would be scorned by a high school debate team member.

What an idiot.
Foofie

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:05 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Your assumption that you are sufficiently important to me that i would grow angry at you is a rhetorical trick which would be scorned by a high school debate team member.

What an idiot.

I am unimportant to you and thankfully unimportant to all those that share your world. That is progress in the 21st century. It was not always that way.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:16 pm
Wrapping yourself in martyrdom again, Foofie? How sad for you that you could not actually have been a martyr. Although, i suspect you're just like the christian whack-jobs who like to think they're martyrs--martyrdom is really cool, as you as you don't have to actually suffer personally.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:27 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What an idiot.

Think about that Setanta. Your demonstrated threshold of anger is often very low indeed.
Setanta

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 07:34 pm
What is there to think about, O'George? The threshold of people like Foofie, and you, to grasp at the straw of claiming someone is angry, rather than facing the criticism or insult dealt out to them is very low. Nothing such as you allege is demonstrated. You just habitually assume, and claim, that i am angry, because if is a cheap forensic trick to suggest that your interlocutor is motivated by emotion rather than reason.

It is as pathetic when you use it, as it is when Foofie uses it. In fact, it is my experience that you are much more likely than most people around here to use that cheap escape hatch.
oolongteasup

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 09:31 pm
@Setanta,
setanta juxtaposed women in heaven

luv yer stuff lad
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:42 am
@Foofie,
You'd be doing your child a greater disservice to deny them that part of their development; playing with dolls and toy guns. Children at play helps them grow and learn, especially when they play pretend adults.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:16 am
@ebrown p,
Sounds like the research is still ongoing then.

The research I recently heard is that very minor differences in how infants behave are blown up into major "gender differences" by the caregivers. For example, male babies are slightly more fussy, but caregivers are more likely to attribute that to their gender and have them "cry it out."

I'll have to look into the study you posted. It appears the researchers in that field have some disagreements on how the data should be interpreted.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 07:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Another brainless post from the master of brainless posts, Foofie. What leads you to assume that women, and only women, give toys to children?

No kidding... that's how I get them into the van when I'm out of chocolates.....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:48 am
Yeah . . . it's a good idea to do that quietly, no fuss, no unwanted attention from nearby adults . . .
ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:10 am
@Setanta,
Last week, I had to talk to Mija (my 4 year old daughter) when she offered to share her candy, out of the blue, with a man on the train.

I never thought I would have to warn her about giving candy to strangers.
Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 09:39 am
Stranger than fiction . . .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:12 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Wrapping yourself in martyrdom again, Foofie? How sad for you that you could not actually have been a martyr. Although, i suspect you're just like the christian whack-jobs who like to think they're martyrs--martyrdom is really cool, as you as you don't have to actually suffer personally.

If you have such authentic contempt for my posts, why engage me? You replied to me earlier with:

"Another brainless post from the master of brainless posts, Foofie. What leads you to assume that women, and only women, give toys to children? "

You can point out, for the benefit of readers, how brainless you perceive me; however, do not ask a brainless person a question. That sounds incongruous. What should I answer with? My toe?

What is the martyr shtick about? In my opinion, I just see you as reacting to my posts with a degree of contempt, that is disproportionate to my import on a thread, or this forum. I believe I am so lucky that you are a nice Gentile that is not anti-Semitic. I can only imagine the litany of ad-hominems, I would have to endure, if you were.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:14 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Last week, I had to talk to Mija (my 4 year old daughter) when she offered to share her candy, out of the blue, with a man on the train.

I never thought I would have to warn her about giving candy to strangers.

Sounds like a gifted child.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:22 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

What an idiot.

Think about that Setanta. Your demonstrated threshold of anger is often very low indeed.

One day we might have a universal draft that includes women. While women might not be in front line combat roles, during basic training they would have to fire a weapon. I think to be familiar with a toy gun, during childhood, makes a gun less of a scary object for those that played with a toy gun in childhood. Just my opinion, based on observations during my basic training.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:09 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
. Since I've agreed to do a piece, I wondered what topics I should write about.

You could tell them that under the influence of feminist media the men are starting to sound more and more like women. You could cite the last few posts on this thread as illustration.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:39 pm
Thread hijacked.
K
Sad
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:44 pm
@Diest TKO,
Surely you could cobble together a witty contribution for the blog out of my earlier post. I wrote it so you could do that and get the debate over there on a realistic footing.
0 Replies