What I need from President Obama

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:12 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i see what you mean, but what i was talking about is the quality of our doctors, facilities, machines and drugs. not so much about behavior.

But you said that the health care system doesn't need reform, because we have good doctors. My point is that having good doctors doesn't mean we don't have a problem with health care itself (as opposed to the insurance). Nobody's arguing that the quality of the health care is bad, it's the cost and the accessibility. So yes, I know you are talking about the quality of the doctors, facilities, machines and drugs, but you didn't just say "we have high quality" you said we have no need for reform in the health care system. I disagree.

Giving insurance to everyone doesn't fix that the health care system itself is out of control and the costs are ballooning. Quality of doctors is a red herring, that just isn't related to the problem the country is trying to address.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 03:53 pm
What a day!!! We just got back from a great healthcare rally in Boston! Then someone sent me this from Obama's labor day speech today.

Snood! Tell me you aren't happy with this. Obama has still got it.

Quote:
The Congress and the country have been engaged in a vigorous debate for many months. And debate is good, because we have to get this right. But in every debate there comes a time to decide, a time to act. And Ohio, that time is now.

We've never been this close. We've never had such broad agreement on what needs to be done. And because we're so close to real reform, the special interests are doing what they always do-trying to scare the American people and preserve the status quo.

But I've got a question for them: What's your answer? What's your solution? The truth is, they don't have one. It's do nothing. And we know what that future looks like. Insurance companies raking in the profits while discriminating against people because of pre-existing conditions and denying or dropping coverage when you get sick. It means you're never negotiating about higher wages, because you're spending all your time just protecting the benefits you already have.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 05:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i see what you mean, but what i was talking about is the quality of our doctors, facilities, machines and drugs. not so much about behavior.

But you said that the health care system doesn't need reform,....but you didn't just say "we have high quality" you said we have no need for reform in the health care system. I disagree.

that's misrepresenting what i said.

what i said was "i can't remember if it was here or someplace else; but it was pointed out that it's not the healthcare system, but the health insurance system that needs reform. we have a lot of really good doctors (we could always use more good ones), the facilities are generally pretty good and most of the drugs seem to actually do something."

and then, following your comment, i said; "i see what you mean, but what i was talking about is the quality of our doctors, facilities, machines and drugs. not so much about behavior.

i thought i was quite clear in my opinion about doctors owning machines and ordering tests on those machines. i also said that i did not know how we could say they can't do that.

any thoughts on that ?

Giving insurance to everyone doesn't fix that the health care system itself is out of control and the costs are ballooning. Quality of doctors is a red herring, that just isn't related to the problem the country is trying to address.

you said "Quality of doctors is a red herring" but, remarking on the quality of doctors was also the smallest part of what i stated. and only in the first paragraph of my post. you're the one that keeps bringing it up.

for the third time i'll post this; " "access, affordability and the elimination of pre-existing turn downs are major aspects that need to be fixed. and i'm not a big stickler how that happens, just that it happens. "

and right after that i reiterated what i sought in a new program was "... i don't believe it is meant to, or should be the only thing available. just one piece of the pie. and the piece that will nourish you even if it doesn't taste as good. that's what it's for. baseline care for those who have absolutely nothing.

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 06:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
that's misrepresenting what i said.

I'm not that clear on how, but I'm sorry if you feel that way. It isn't intentional.

Quote:
and then, following your comment, i said; "i see what you mean, but what i was talking about is the quality of our doctors, facilities, machines and drugs. not so much about behavior.

So? My point was that their quality doesn't mean that reform is not needed. Another way to put it is that the very fact that you aren't talking about their business behavior is the point.

Quote:
i thought i was quite clear in my opinion about doctors owning machines and ordering tests on those machines. i also said that i did not know how we could say they can't do that.

any thoughts on that ?

Not really, I've not said anything about prohibiting them from doing so. However in a public health care system they obviously wouldn't own their own practices, and thusly wouldn't own their own machines.

This is one of those concerns that kinda takes care of itself when it comes to what I did say.

Quote:
you said "Quality of doctors is a red herring" but, remarking on the quality of doctors was also the smallest part of what i stated. and only in the first paragraph of my post. you're the one that keeps bringing it up.

You are pretty confusing, you brought up quality in a thought about not needing reform. I point out that the reform seeks to address cost, not quality. You say you are talking about quality, and I say that I can see this but that it's really not the point. Now you say I keep bringing it up.

Er... ok. But I didn't bring it up once, I responded to it each time. It's really not the point and I don't want to talk about doctor quality. That misses the point of reforming health care insurance or reforming health care.

Anyway this color quote thing is irritating and we don't seem to be making much sense to each other so I guess I'll catch you later.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 06:24 pm
dude, you are trying to get something from me, but i can't figure out what it is.

sorry if i am frustrating you, as well.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 09:05 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

What a day!!! We just got back from a great healthcare rally in Boston! Then someone sent me this from Obama's labor day speech today.

Snood! Tell me you aren't happy with this. Obama has still got it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVB4kq59Sw[/youtube]

Quote:
The Congress and the country have been engaged in a vigorous debate for many months. And debate is good, because we have to get this right. But in every debate there comes a time to decide, a time to act. And Ohio, that time is now.

We've never been this close. We've never had such broad agreement on what needs to be done. And because we're so close to real reform, the special interests are doing what they always do-trying to scare the American people and preserve the status quo.

But I've got a question for them: What's your answer? What's your solution? The truth is, they don't have one. It's do nothing. And we know what that future looks like. Insurance companies raking in the profits while discriminating against people because of pre-existing conditions and denying or dropping coverage when you get sick. It means you're never negotiating about higher wages, because you're spending all your time just protecting the benefits you already have.

Yeah, ebrown. I checked out this speech, and he dug in a bit harder where I need him to dig in. If he really does everything he can to bring a public option along, and can't - then I guess I'll have to settle for these "trigger" propositons (which I admit I have to read more about) that set a public option into play if the insurance companies "trigger" it through some unfair practice.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 09:48 pm
I need to see less running off at the mouth and more production. I grew-up on the Chicago Machine, so everyone traipsing back into Washington after more than a month off saying that nothing has changed is an admission of failure to my ears. Politics is a combination of imposing will and the art of the possible, Obama has done neither since the bail out and stimulus battles.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:53 am
@snood,
Snood, I am much more optimistic than you are.

We have the leverage to push through a good public option- if Obama takes the lead. I will be very surprised if we see a bill with "triggers" will pass either house of Congress (since it is clear that triggers will never kick in and will basically kill the bill).

The rules are that the weaker party compromises with the stronger party.

The public option has strong public support (polls back this up). The Democrats have the White House and a strong position in the Congress. The Republicans have been acting like they are in a position of strength (and some Democrats have been acting like they are in a position of weakness).

The Democrats (i.e. Obama) need to push forward a good bill with a public option and other things that a majority of Americans want.

Then you need to get the weak-kneed Democratic Senators on board. It is clear that the House Democrats are standing firm (they won't vote for a bill without a public option)... so that puts the required pressure on the "centrist" Democrats who have key votes.

But... look at it this way. The liberal Democrats (from liberal states) aren't going to be voted out for their support for health insurance reform. If the so-called "Republican wave" is really coming, it is the centrist Democrats who will be losing their seats.

So ironically, the Democratic Centrists Senators have the most to lose if the Democrats don't get a health car bill passed. When Obama and the House make it clear what their choice is good bill with public option or nothing, they will be pressured (by their own desire to get reelected) to vote for it.

Of course, public support is crucial through this. But then, Obama has the world's biggest bully pulpit.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:38 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe the evidence is that most people are more worried about the state of our economy and a fast growing national debt than they are about drastically reformed health care services

Quote:
My strong impression from what I observe opponents have said and done is that they are concerned about our fast growing national debt; don't believe the vague assurances the president has offered them about protecting their privacy and control of their relations with insurers and medical providers; don't believe the vague promises that government will really control costs and entitlements, given its failure to do so on previous programs; do not trust the good intentions of the Congress to which the president has handed this ambitious program; and don't want that much government intervention in their lives.

I would be one of those, george. I'm extremely concerned about our fast growing national debt. However, I see the aging demographic (72 million new Americans eligible for SS and Medicare over the next 13 years), reduction in jobs and benefits for those with jobs, and the spiraling costs of health care being provided to all those eligible via insurance and/or entitlements as the main source of my concern.

Quote:
That isn't too complex a task. Today Health Insurance providers are regulated by the 50 states, each doing its own thing with very little coordination among them - and very little standardazation required by the Federal government. The result is a multiplicity of corporate entities, each constrained to offer servises only in individual states. No surprise that the insurers take advantage of this situation to limit portability and deny coverage to potential high cost consumers to protect their rate bases. The Federal government could regulate and charter insurance companies, just as it does banks, and do so in a way that promotes portability and prevents dropping coverage when claims rise. If desired the government could subsidize the cost of basic policies that provide coverage for injuries, maternity and childhood & infectuous diseases, etc.

The government could also act more vigorously to eliminate some of the fraud that occurs in Medicare and Medicaid. To be fair this is likely a part of the President's plan.

None of this would require a complete overhaul of our health care system; forcibly insert government into the health care decisions and relationships of our citizens; or add hundreds of billions to our national debt..

And none of this will cover the needs of an aging demographic with an increased life expectancy on the backs of a reduced workforce who themselves aren't getting insurance in many cases.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
HAWKEYE SAID:
Quote:
I need to see less running off at the mouth and more production. I grew-up on the Chicago Machine, so everyone traipsing back into Washington after more than a month off saying that nothing has changed is an admission of failure to my ears. Politics is a combination of imposing will and the art of the possible, Obama has done neither since the bail out and stimulus battles.

Timothy Noah said:
Quote:
If President Obama wants to pass a health reform bill, he shouldn't be giving a speech to Congress tomorrow. In fact, he shouldn't be giving any more speeches, period. From now until whenever, any time he had scheduled for speeches on health care should instead be spent meeting privately with Democratic holdouts to explain how very difficult their lives will be if they don't vote yes

http://www.slate.com/id/2227604/

I love it when well respected people agree with me, after I have already given my view......
0 Replies