For those squealing about town hall protesters

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:57 pm
this is from a liberal leaning blogger. it's an interesting take.

For those squealing about town hall protesters
Wed Sep 2 2009 5:10 am by Bob Morris.

http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kill-bush1.JPG

The left has plenty of loonies too. Some of whom carried signs threatening the life of a president. But such derangement was clearly not the common view of most antiwar protesters. No doubt it’s the same with town hall protesters. But to read some liberal bloggers, they’re practically announcing the arrival of fascist takeover of America because of a few nutcases on the right. I think they need to take a deep breath and a chill pill, stop unduly scaring people, and get a grip. Seriously.

Because what’s going on now is a walk in the park compared to the 60’s with its multiple assassinations and cities burning. The country survived that just fine. We didn’t end up a fascist state either (and yes, some lefties back then were darkly predicting it too. Nixon supposedly had concentration camps and the round up of hippie freaks was imminent. Well, I didn’t get rounded up. Neither did my friends. I’m still waiting.)

There’s been much shocked hysteria about how could the Secret Service let that guy with a gun into the Obama Town hall meeting, like the Secret Service didn’t know what they were doing and squeaky liberals who probably have never owned a gun did. Well, no. I’m guessing the Secret Service probably had matters well in hand and there was never the hint of a threat.

As I blogged recently, the Black Panthers posed with rifles on the steps of the California State Capitol in 1968, and trust me, that set off an enormous squeak fest of fear among the right as well as among many liberals too. The Panthers were just a lit-tle bit too militant for most folks. And things ended rather badly for most of them, just like it probably will for the extremist fringe of the teabaggers. And our democracy will survive that too.

http://polizeros.com/2009/09/02/for-those-squealing-about-town-hall-protesters/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:58 pm
I don't give a **** about all this. I just want congress to get a good health care package together and pass it. They can if they will.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
i hear ya bro. don't tell me. tell them. Very Happy

the republicans have made it crystal clear they are not going to agree to anything new. either fish or cut bait.
BillRM

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:52 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
The insurance and drug companies own the GOP.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:58 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Sure.... There are a few liberal loonies.

But there is no real comparison.

But there are not thousands of liberals having tea parties. There are not Democratic congresspeople encouraging them. There is no mass media liberal loonie cheering squad.

And most liberals (whether public officials or normal people) distanced themselves, and many even condemned this behavior.

I will disavow the small number of liberal loonies. And I will respect any conservative who disavows their loonies (but I don't see this happening much).
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 10:53 pm
The drug and insurance companies own congress both dem and rep and anyone who thinks different isent thinking at all.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 07:39 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't give a **** about all this. I just want congress to get a good health care package together and pass it. They can if they will.

I kinda feel the same way. I want a better health care system for everyone. I want to pay less because I already feel that I pay too much for what I get. And I want it all done without increasing federal spending to get it accomplished. I don't know how in hell they are going to accomplish all that, and I don't even know if it's politically possible to really "reform" health care. But that's what I want.

My personal gut feeling is that health care "could" be made to be more effective for less money, but that it would require changing some underlying processes which are very entrenched and possibly unassailable (TORT reform and Health Insurance (and other large corporations) lobbying for political payoffs being the biggest underlying problems).

I have my doubts that these very large challenges can be overcome in today's political system. I just don't think congress has the flexibility, the vision and the determination to see past their own constituencies (and contributors) to vote for really effective solutions. But maybe I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong (but I doubt it).
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:12 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
                     http://polizeros.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kill-bush1.JPG                http://www.doic.net/halfwit/photo-get-a-brain-morans.jpg
Separated at birth?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 01:14 pm
@joefromchicago,
hah! but dropped on their heads together.. Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 07:38 am
Carrying threats against the president is abhorrent no matter who the president is and if the matter was brought up when Bush was president, I would have said something against it. However, one bad does not cancel out the other.

Protesting the war after the war already was commenced is a different thing than just protesting town hall meetings where members of congress come to discuss with constituents the merits of the health care reform bill. A town hall meeting is there for discussion and people from both sides should participate. But when it all comes down to just a bunch of hooting and hollering, no one can discuss anything so nothing gets learned.

0 Replies