Is Christianity Irrational?

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:12 am
Eastree- Not knowing the medical details of your friend's condition, I really can't explain it. That does not mean that there is no logical explanation.

I don't think that this pertains to your friend's situation, but there are people who have ailments that are "hysterical"..........physical ailments brought about by psychological problems. Many of these people, when they are believers, have been "cured" of these problems through "miracles". These kinds of people are a faith healer's stock in trade!

Here is an article from the New England Journal of Medicine

http://psychiatry.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/2001/726/1

Here's another good overview:

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic112.htm
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:19 am
cavfancier wrote:
Eastree, waiting for the 'true' answers until you die is just postponing recognizing that the divine is already all around you, and smacks to me of waiting for a special door prize when you get to heaven. If there is a heaven, and you have simply been good to people throughout your life, I expect it will just be more of a "Come on in, sit by the fire" kind of thing, rather than a flame of judgement and justice. Life is simple, it's only religion that's complicated.

There is no special door prize. I did not say just wait until death. I answered the sarcasm of finding a 2000 year old person to ask about confirming the Bible as valid or not. Both options are ridiculous to even consider.

Your last line is very true, at least from my standpoint on Christianity, though you will strongly oppose anything said supporting it. It's just that according to the Bible, it is simple. Simple faith in Jesus as the messiah, and "love your neighbor." Then over the many years, people have added so many different sets of rules that it all becomes too complicated. Some say men go to hell if they ever don't wear long pants, and women if they ever don't wear a long dress or if they cut their hair. Others say that this Christian religion will go to hell for one thing, and the other says nother will and on down the line. People invoke mandatory memorized prayers and all sorts of things, to simply seem more religious. Then they read, and all they see is to have faith in Christ, and love their neighbor.

Portal Star wrote:
Let me ask you one question: How can you know your facts are true when you don't know the opposing arguments? (And no, I don't mean summary of opposing arguments with prefabricated answers of why they are wrong by the people who want you to continue to believe. I mean the arguments from their own, unmediated sources. Ex: if you don't believe in evolution, read Darwin's Origin of species. If after reading the book, you disagree, you will have stronger arguments.)

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I think it's a good question. I try not to criticize what others think unless I have sufficient backing, or at least enough information about the one point I disagree with. Of course, much of the information being fed to the masses, by many sources, about Christianity is very pretextual, biased, and many people look at a very small set of words trying to see the big picture. Of course this applies to everyone looking at things they are unfamiliar with.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 06:52 am
Eastree, if you agree with my last statement, and Christianity helps you lead your life in that way, then I have no issue with that at all. In fact, what you said about all the additions that went on later, all the complicated and often assinine rules sums up my problems with religion in general. Personally, I see the same message of simplicity and goodness to your fellow person in all religions. Whatever else surrounds that message is just political detritus, so that is why I do not practice any organized religion. You'll never get me to buy into Christianity, but you do seem to have a much more balanced approach to it than a lot of others.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:33 am
Eastree wrote:

Then why bash Christianity if you don't mind that people believe something you don't?

Because forums are all about argument and debate, and they would get awfully boring if I kept my views to myself.

Eastree wrote:

I know that you will not accredit any healthful improvement to anything but science. But when a close friend of mine who was deaf from birth, her ear drum ruptured in the birth canal, can suddenly hear again and has an ear drum in that ear for the first time since birth, I will say it's a miracle. Doctors did not implant anything into her ear. She was receiving no treatment, as her ear was not perpetually infected, and she had accepted her deafness. This did not occur on television, it happened in front of my eyes. All of a sudden she was shocked, screaming about the fact that she could suddenly hear. How would you explain this?

I think that is wonderful for your friend, and I would have her thouroughly examined to find out what it is that happened - maybe scientists could use that information to help other people. Even if it was miraculous intervention, the physical structure of her ear would have to be different for it to work after it hadn't. My assumption is that she was mis-diagnosed by an incompetent doctor. Whatever happened, it's always good to have a friend get well.

Eastree wrote:

What I mean by a non-Christian healing is any purported healing by a non-medical method, and the credit given to a religion, belief, or alternate medicine which is not accepted as valid. I know that there are people who are taking herbal treatments for cancer. But I'm not talking about that; it has its merits for those who feel it's right for them. I am talking about psychic healings, shamanic healings, and other types of faith healing. I have never witnessed one simply because I choose not to. I know they happen. I will not deny that.

I don't believe in anything that is inconsistent with the material world and how my senses believe it. [Judging from other discussions Iv'e had, you probably assume this gives me a lack of mysticism, but mysticism doesn't come only from Christianity ro belief in g-d Wink.]

People used shamanic healings to cure the bubonic plague. Men wore garlic masks and danced with big beaks and black cloaks. They advised people to stay indoors, not bathe, even shut all the windows. And to pray.
[The bubonic plague was not caused by evil spirits, but by disease carried by fleas on rats - if the people had gotten fresh air and bathed, they might have been okay.]

People had cures for leporacy based on faith healing, oftentimes monks worked with them. There was even a saint (what is her name?) who would lick their wounds and eat their scabs. It didn't do much. I think she was king of a sicco.

People used to cure illness based on the four humors (yellow bile, black bile, sanguine, phlem) and those also had a basis in things other than science. In most cases, they didn't work.

There is much historical precedent for faith healing that didn't do a heck of a lot (other than comfort the victim), so I am skeptical about modern faith healing. If you go to witness such an event, do let us know.

You don't oppose irrational people trying to impose their beliefs? I have nothing against them trying, it's a free country, but I feel I should ... Give their action an equal and opposite reaction, at least in my mind.

Eastree wrote:

As far as creationism, I do believe. But things must be read more than literally. The word day can easily be translated as a period of time -- nay period of time. And God did not dig in the mud for every little creature. In Genesis, God tells the Earth to "bring forth" the animals, and the water to "bring forth" the fish. This to me definitely signifies a long process. Also, science has proven more than easily that all things change over time.

What I don't like about creationism is that is opposes science and archeology, and their data (ideally) is gathered without religious/political bias. I know that religous people who start out seeking to prove a religous view (and not any other view) may have skewed results. The same thing happens in Archaeology (the brontosaurus) or psycology (Freud) when people want to prove somthing so badly that evidence gets skewed. But at least science has an ongoing process for fixing this, religion only asks to be agreed with.

And I definitely do not believe in forcing my views on anyone else. I know it seems that way at this pint, with all the arguments I have made. But everyone will defend their own beliefs when so fervently opposed.[/quote]
No, I don't think you are forcing your views - this is a forum, and the place to discuss. You are also being polite and coherent, not making statements like "jesus is lord" and never coming back to the forums again, like many people do. I will probably continue to disagree with your views, but I appreciate the discussion. There can be no debate without conflict.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 08:50 am
Quote:
There is much historical precedent for faith healing that didn't do a heck of a lot (other than comfort the victim), so I am skeptical about modern faith healing. If you go to witness such an event, do let us know.

Portal Star- You may find this strange, coming from a non-believer, but I think that faith healing, for believers, has done some good. Science is slowly but surely acknowledging the mind/body connection. Often a positive attitude WILL modify a person's body chemistry, to the point where the body, in some cases, may heal itself.

If a person really believes, it is quite possible that that belief could theoretically make the difference in the outcome of some diseases.

Oh, I certainly don't take any stock in "instant" healing, except in some cases of conversion hysteria, which is quite possible.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 09:01 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Arrow ...a positive attitude...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 09:26 am
Years ago, before the mind/body connection was understood, and the term in general use, there was a popular expression, "the will to live". I take that concept very seriously!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:05 am
So do I, but it is linked to religion for reasons other than the religion itself. The benefit is the mental and social attitude. Therefore, I wouldn't attribute it to g-d or religion, but having a healthy mental and social attitude. Religion can promote a healthy mental and social attitude, in sometimes not do anything, and sometimes give people an unhealthy mental and social attidute (ex: attitudes about guilt, negative sexual/masturbation views, cults.)

So, when you praise it, maybe you are really praising the benefit of a healty mental state, and as this can be achieved without religion, I would not attribute it to religion.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:06 am
Sure it is but so what. Rational is not a rule for belief if that is what one wants. There is no real truth to any of this religious stuff it is a choice I think.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:11 am
So do I, but it is linked to religion for reasons other than the religion itself. The benefit is the mental and social attitude. Therefore, I wouldn't attribute it to g-d or religion, but having a healthy mental and social attitude. Religion can promote a healthy mental and social attitude, in sometimes not do anything, and sometimes give people an unhealthy mental and social attidute (ex: attitudes about guilt, negative sexual/masturbation views, cults.)

So, when you praise it, maybe you are really praising a healty mental state.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:12 am
Eastree wrote:

Then why bash Christianity if you don't mind that people believe something you don't?

Because forums are all about argument and debate, and they would get awfully boring if I kept my views to myself.

Eastree wrote:

I know that you will not accredit any healthful improvement to anything but science. But when a close friend of mine who was deaf from birth, her ear drum ruptured in the birth canal, can suddenly hear again and has an ear drum in that ear for the first time since birth, I will say it's a miracle. Doctors did not implant anything into her ear. She was receiving no treatment, as her ear was not perpetually infected, and she had accepted her deafness. This did not occur on television, it happened in front of my eyes. All of a sudden she was shocked, screaming about the fact that she could suddenly hear. How would you explain this?

I think that is wonderful for your friend, and I would have her thouroughly examined to find out what it is that happened - maybe scientists could use that information to help other people. Even if it was miraculous intervention, the physical structure of her ear would have to be different for it to work after it hadn't. My assumption is that she was mis-diagnosed by an incompetent doctor. Whatever happened, it's always good to have a friend get well.

Eastree wrote:

What I mean by a non-Christian healing is any purported healing by a non-medical method, and the credit given to a religion, belief, or alternate medicine which is not accepted as valid. I know that there are people who are taking herbal treatments for cancer. But I'm not talking about that; it has its merits for those who feel it's right for them. I am talking about psychic healings, shamanic healings, and other types of faith healing. I have never witnessed one simply because I choose not to. I know they happen. I will not deny that.

I don't believe in anything that is inconsistent with the material world and how my senses believe it. [Judging from other discussions Iv'e had, you probably assume this gives me a lack of mysticism, but mysticism doesn't come only from Christianity ro belief in g-d Wink.]

People used shamanic healings to cure the bubonic plague. Men wore garlic masks and danced with big beaks and black cloaks. They advised people to stay indoors, not bathe, even shut all the windows. And to pray.
[The bubonic plague was not caused by evil spirits, but by disease carried by fleas on rats - if the people had gotten fresh air and bathed, they might have been okay.]

People had cures for leporacy based on faith healing, oftentimes monks worked with them. There was even a saint (what is her name?) who would lick their wounds and eat their scabs. It didn't do much. I think she was king of a sicco.

People used to cure illness based on the four humors (yellow bile, black bile, sanguine, phlem) and those also had a basis in things other than science. In most cases, they didn't work.

You don't oppose irrational people trying to impose their beliefs? I have nothing against them trying, it's a free country, but I feel I should ... Give their action an equal and opposite reaction, at least in my mind.

Eastree wrote:

As far as creationism, I do believe. But things must be read more than literally. The word day can easily be translated as a period of time -- nay period of time. And God did not dig in the mud for every little creature. In Genesis, God tells the Earth to "bring forth" the animals, and the water to "bring forth" the fish. This to me definitely signifies a long process. Also, science has proven more than easily that all things change over time.

What I don't like about creationism is that is opposes science and archeology, and their data (ideally) is gathered without religious/political bias. I know that religous people who start out seeking to prove a religous view (and not any other view) may have skewed results. The same thing happens in Archaeology (the brontosaurus) or psycology (Freud) when people want to prove somthing so badly that evidence gets skewed. But at least science has an ongoing process for fixing this, religion only asks to be agreed with.

And I definitely do not believe in forcing my views on anyone else. I know it seems that way at this pint, with all the arguments I have made. But everyone will defend their own beliefs when so fervently opposed.[/quote]
No, I don't think you are forcing your views - this is a forum, and the place to discuss. You are also being polite and coherent, not making statements like "jesus is lord" and never coming back to the forums again, like many people do. I will continue to oppose your views, but I appreciate the discussion.
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:16 am
cavfancier wrote:
Eastree, if you ... a lot of others.

Thanks, cavfancier.

Portal Star wrote:

Good point. I shouldn't have been so closed-minded about it.

Portal Star wrote:
the physical structure of her ear would have to be different for it to work after it hadn't. My assumption is that she was mis-diagnosed by an incompetent doctor. Whatever happened, it's always good to have a friend get well.

Well, if the diagnosis was correct, then she had grown a new ear drum (how suddenly, no one can really say but she was happy when it started working!). If the doctors were incompetent, though I definitely do not know the extent of frequency of checks for an ear drum, then somehow the ear drum suddenly started working after some unknown number of years. And yes, it is always great when a friend gets well -- especially after such a long time!

Quote:
I don't believe in anything that is inconsistent with the material world and how my senses believe it. [Judging from other discussions Iv'e had, you probably assume this gives me a lack of mysticism, but mysticism doesn't come only from Christianity ro belief in g-d .]

Yes, I did know you are skeptical (to put it more than lightly) about anything spiritual. And about mysticism, I definitely already knew that -- there's too much in the world to ignore.

And great examples of faith healing! I agree with your view of Saint Whatsherface. Disgusting! Maybe she was just immune?

Quote:
You don't oppose irrational people trying to impose their beliefs?

I guess I shouldhave clarified my opinion of the diference between imposing their beliefs and lettingothers know how they feel and what they believe. An occasional (meaning very rare) knock on the door to say "Please try our church" is one thing. But a foot in the door, to try to convince a Christian that their version of Christianity is thebetter one, though it departs from most of what the Bible teaches, is more than imposing. It is offensive to everyone but the people who share the same belief. (what part of "Love your neighbor" means force him/her into anything?)

Quote:

About Creationism and the rest of the Bible for that matter, there has been dissention among Christian religions for a long time about what to call symbolic, literal, or too rough of a phrasing (slang almost?). This is a big issue with creationism, especially with the six days creation and then day to rest. I believe in all three (symbilosm, literalism, and rough terms) -- why shouldn't I? At least it can make sense of things whick completely elude reason.

What's with the brontosaurus? I'm just not sure what you're referring to. I don't know much of Frued, but I do get your point. Science -- it does have a good way of proving things methodically.

But what about religion-based science? (I'm kidding!) I once saw a man on television with all sorts of charts and a "good" explanation about how the sky used to be pink in stead of blue because of the different gases which were chemically combined with others and thus removed from ther atmosphere when the earth tilted from the impact of the fall of man! (I still laugh about this from time to time!)

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Portal Star- You may find this strange, coming from a non-believer, but I think that faith healing, for believers, has done some good. Science is slowly but surely acknowledging the mind/body connection. Often a positive attitude WILL modify a person's body chemistry, to the point where the body, in some cases, may heal itself.

If a person really believes, it is quite possible that that belief could theoretically make the difference in the outcome of some diseases.

Oh, I certainly don't take any stock in "instant" healing, except in some cases of conversion hysteria, which is quite possible.

Quote:
Years ago, before the mind/body connection was understood, and the term in general use, there was a popular expression, "the will to live". I take that concept very seriously!

Faith, by definition is "complete trust." So faith healing is complete trust that whatever non-medical method is being used will work. Also, it has been medically proven that a positive attitude does release a higher ammount of endorphins and other beneficial chemicals. This can account for part of it. The rest? The mind does have an influence on the physical nature of the body, and some would even say the surrounding world (though there is much to be debated about this). Of course, there are also claims of faith healing which were instant or even wildly bizzare (such claims as severed limbs growing back). How many times did Jesus say to people in the Bible "your faith has healed you"? It's just a thought.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:39 am
[quote="Eastree] How many times did Jesus say to people in the Bible "your faith has healed you"? It's just a thought.[/quote]

Here's another thought.

Science has determined that mind-set plays an important part in healing. "Belief" in the curative powers of a medicine (and of a doctor) plays a part in the cure. In fact, some things are "cured" by placebos.

Jesus -- and good folks like you -- may ascribe cures obtained by mind-set to a God -- but that is an artificial choice. The cure may actually be in definace of conventional methodology -- and stilll not be the result of divine intervention.

In fact, it is possible there are no gods -- and that would not have an impact on so-called miraculous cures.

We really do not know.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 07:15 pm
Eastree wrote:
Disgusting! Maybe she was just immune?

There is actually a precedent in Chinese medicine of sniffing powdered scabs of the sick - it works kind of like a vaccination. But I don't know if leoparacy is the kind of disease someone can get vaccinated against. I think some people may also be immune to it.

About the Brontosaurus: An acchaeologist took (was it an alpaceosaurus? ) the head of one dinosaur and put it on the body of another dinosaur, and called it the brontosaurus (there was a lot of pressure for him to make a new find.) Now we know it did not exist, but were two separate dino's. My Source: Exhibits at the Houston natural sciences museum.

Eastree wrote:
I believe in all three (symbilosm, literalism, and rough terms) -- why shouldn't I? At least it can make sense of things whick completely elude reason.

Could you give me an example of somthing that you feel eludes reason? I know poetry and emotions are not reasonable, but I'm talking about things other than extensions of human feelings (which can be explained by science anyway.)

Eastree wrote:

Faith, by definition is "complete trust." So faith healing is complete trust that whatever non-medical method is being used will work. Also, it has been medically proven that a positive attitude does release a higher ammount of endorphins and other beneficial chemicals. This can account for part of it. The rest? The mind does have an influence on the physical nature of the body, and some would even say the surrounding world (though there is much to be debated about this). Of course, there are also claims of faith healing which were instant or even wildly bizzare (such claims as severed limbs growing back). How many times did Jesus say to people in the Bible "your faith has healed you"? It's just a thought.

I don't see why this singles out religious healing specifically or Christian healing specifically. If healing can be accomplished through both religion and non-religious mental activities, I wouldn't attribute it specifically to religion. There are plenty of good points in the bible, I especially like Matthew. I just don't buy the whole kit & caboodle, so to speak.
Eastree, I enjoy debating with you.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 11:38 am
truth
What is a miracle? Can it simply be an event that is completely incompatible with our model of the natural universe, of how things work naturally? Does this mean that all "miracles" are SUPERnatural events? Why don't we just attribute the anomalous events to NATURAL causes that we do not yet understand. The answer, as I understand it, is that miracles are always part of a religious ideological model. You cannot have "miracles" without some understanding of their religious nature. They serve to "prove" (or confirm) religious beliefs. Hence, Catholics are looking for another miracle to affirm the saintliness of Mother Teresa. I feel quite certain that they will come up with such evidence, for example, some child recovers from a deadly illness after (it may be months after) she was touched by Mother Teresa. This will ignore the fact that even atheists occasionally enjoy unexplainable "spontaneous remissions/reversals" of deadly diseases. My point is, obviously, that "miracles" are not extraordinary natural events having anything at all to do with Science; they are religious concepts having to do with supernaturalism.
As an "unbeliever" I reject, of course, the bifurcation of reality into natural and supernatural. There is only natural--or perhaps I should EITHER natural OR supernatural. It doesn't matter what we call it, but a monist perspective is the only one I accept. I've known Maya Indians for whom the distinction makes little sense. They see the world as only what we would call superntural. They don't use the term because they do not make the division between natural and supernatural.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:00 pm
A normal level of endorphines and seratonin has more to do with how a person feels psychologically -- it's all body chemistry. That and a certain set of genes one is born with. We are all wired slightly differently. Religion is a form of collectivism sometimes expressing itself in a mob mentality.

The Mother Teresa's "miracle" is her life, not any presumed incident of healing anyone which is likely due to the physicians and an attitude of surviving.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 01:02 pm
Incidentally, due to some new historical discoveries and rational analysis, it was determined that a Christian mob did burn down Rome and not Nero.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:05 pm
trtuh
AND Nero was not "fiddling" while Rome burned. The violin was not invented yet.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 04:40 pm
Okay, when was the violin invented?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 05:01 pm
http://www.nelson.planet.org.nz/~matthew/artmidea.html

If Nero was indeed fiddling, it is most likely a lost precursor to the violin indeed.
0 Replies