Is Christianity Irrational?

rufio

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 04:38 pm
There are plenty of discrepencies. But you're right, southern, the only illogical thing is assuming that a book that was written as haphazardly as the bible wouldn't have any.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 05:41 pm
Faith is just optimism with something imagined to make it real.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:22 pm
cav's quote, "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I think the code of Hammurabi is more clear and concise than the Bible, but each to their own. I have tons of faith, and a good heart, and even morality, all without organized religion. Imagine that...." I belong to that group too! Imagine that......
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:50 pm
cavfancier wrote:
That would be 'octopi' Portal, but all octopus references are cool by me, especially if it's a new recipe. Smile

I was going for singular ownership. Octopuses Octopuses'

Like, we would belog to octopus. *eyebrow furrow.*

There is a great stuffed octopus children's toy where each leg is a squeak toy representing one note in an 8 octave scale.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
cavfancier wrote:
That would be 'octopi' Portal, but all octopus references are cool by me, especially if it's a new recipe. Smile

I was going for singular ownership. Octopuses Octopuses'

Like, we would belog to octopus. *eyebrow furrow.*
0 Replies

jesusfreak359

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 08:03 pm
Jesus rocks
What do you mean? Christianity is fully rational and scientific. It's more logical than anything science can produce. Ask me anything Christian question at [email protected]

;-) remember.. Jesus died to save us!

For God so loved the world that He sent His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 08:30 pm
jesusfreak's quote, "remember.. Jesus died to save us!" If god is god, why does god need a sacrifice to save us? Who created god? If we don't have "eternal life," what do we have?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 08:52 pm
Sshhh! You're making him think!
If somthing contradicts the bible it is incorrect, the bible is the unspoken first physical law.
The current world perception of Jesus probably doesn't like you.

Sheep go to heaven.... Goats go to hell... Sheep go to heaven.... Goats go to hell AAAlllll Riiiighhhtttt! Awwww yeahhh.... [ From a band named Cake]
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
I love cake...the band and the warm chocolate cake I made for a catering tonight, with homemade banana ice cream. Several bananas were sacrificed, but all for a god, erm, good cause. It's nice to know that Jesus died to save us. What I need to know is how much interest has accumulated on my account? It's not like I get a monthly statement...
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 01:03 am
Organized religion is funny, just like polka.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 01:19 am
I like old Mahabharata comic books where half the people are blue, including Jesus. Vishnu and Shiva are cool but Brahma is kinda boring. Divine creator, whatever. Shiva gets to stomp on stuff! And Vishnu once came to Earth in an incarnation where he was blue and liked to eat butter. He probably did more stuff than just eat butter but that's all I remember.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 01:33 am
"He probably did more stuff than just eat butter but that's all I remember."

That is truly divine bathos, Monger!!!!!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:27 am
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SADkAiAWSTeSFxqTdilHFtBMDQWZRzmkTVUgy8wNs0icbwwHoImn!2BUe!nuzXYwtQ!Cav5fHSWJVfXs4zDHdcZFrCrH4YOONrIoSFEWkKYzAAAArXJpAg/bunny.jpg?dc=4675443575272436048

heeheeeheehee Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:54 am
\l/
O-< B =
/l\
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 04:33 am
Monger- You made my morning. That pic is hysterical! Laughing
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 04:59 am
mark
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 10:41 am
Re: Jesus rocks
jesusfreak359 wrote:
What do you mean? Christianity is fully rational and scientific. It's more logical than anything science can produce. Ask me anything Christian question at [email protected]

;-) remember.. Jesus died to save us!

For God so loved the world that He sent His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life. -John 3:16

I can understand the fact that you think it reasonable to suppose a human sacrifice is necessary to appease your god...

...but I am having more and more trouble understanding why you people are so dead certain that Jesus was this god's ONLY son.

What information do you suppose John had that lead him to suppose the god only impregnated one woman?
0 Replies

Eastree

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 01:39 pm
Re: Jesus rocks
rufio wrote:
If by logic you mean mathematically correct, than no, Christianity isn't logical. But Christianity did originate with a great many religions that had many gods, and carried those beliefs into its own theology. So it's rational and logical that this duality should exist. The problem with most people examining Christianity for its rationality is that they look at it as they might look at the work of a philosopher - something that someone just came up with off the top of their head and which has been left mostly intact over the years. This is not the case. Early Christianity was influenced by the many religions of the time that it was born in, which were in turn influenced by other things, and it has changed a lot since it was first begun. It's silly to take the final product of thousands of years of social change and culture and analyze it by itself. There's no usefulness in it. Saying 1 + 1 + 1 = 1 is simply a way of taking the semantics at face value and simplifying them into something that had no hold over the development of that concept.

Christianity originated out of Judaism, unlike your own information. It is true, however, that many Christian holidays are mostly pagan in origin, including symbols used to try to keep children interested and subtly (some not-so-subtle) traditions otherwise. But this is not the fault of Chrisitanity's originators but that of people bent on a quest to force the rest of the world to believe. But it's too long of a story to post here and now.

Frank Apisa wrote:
If you would like some background on the Trinity aspect of Christianity, I have a link to some information.

I find this report is an attempt at being very thorough, and successful on many points. However, even in the "Greek" theology, it still resorts only to Latin. There are many differences in the way Greek and Latin would translate into English, or any other language for that matter. It is of course the same from the languages used for the original texts before they were even translated into Greek. This can never be ignored.

Terry wrote:
What is really illogical about Christianity is the notion that God needed to sacrifice one of his selves to himself in order to forgive us for behaving exactly as he knew we would, given the imperfect brains, bodies and souls with which he endowed us..

This goes into a long topic about scriptures in the Old Testament, mainly about a blood requirement for the remission of sins. Also, there is a scripture that says that Jesus took all sin upon himself, which is the Old Testament stand about how the sin offering worked. He poured out His life unto death, and He let Himself be regarded as a criminal and be numbered with the transgressors, yet he bore (and took away) the sin of many...(Isaiah 53:12b).

Portal Star wrote:
Is is reasonable to believe in a diety who can ressurect people from the dead and turn water into wine? Once one accepts that not all of the bible is true, one has to ask oneself what parts of the bible are true.

What about the things which still happen today? Do you discredit the people who are healed of various things on a daily basis? By this, I recognize both Christian and non-Christian events though I am a Christian and I have never witnessed a non-Christian healing.

cavfancier wrote:
Terry, one of the devout could postulate that god sacrificing a part of himself is not far off from donating a kidney. Let the Christian Scientists debate that one for a while...

Christian Science is not true Christianity, on many accounts. The sacrifice was not to give God back Himself, but for God to bear, as a human being, the burden of all sin in order to enable His plan. Don't make blind assumptions. I'm not trying to convince you of what I believe. It's just that so many of the people bashing anything remotely Christian here are taking only bits of information to form an opinion.

Frank Apisa wrote:
There are hundreds of discrepancies.

You want me to start listing them?

rufio wrote:
There are plenty of discrepencies. But you're right, southern, the only illogical thing is assuming that a book that was written as haphazardly as the bible wouldn't have any.

Go ahead. It would be interesting. Bear in mind the general connotation of "day" in Genesis, implying a period of time and not a literal day. In fact, you would be best off proving yourselves with all Greek and Hebrew roots and meanings rather that third-party translations of Chaldea to Hebrew to Greek (in some cases), to Latin, to Elizabethan English, to Victorian English (as the case may be) and to modern English.

cavfancier wrote:
Personally, I think the code of Hammurabi is more clear and concise than the Bible, but each to their own. I have tons of faith, and a good heart, and even morality, all without organized religion. Imagine that....

Faith in what? It's human nature to have faith in something, whether it's a deity or self or television.

cicerone imposter wrote:
If god is god, why does god need a sacrifice to save us? Who created god? If we don't have "eternal life," what do we have?

You made a good (as uninformed as it may be) point. God has always required a sacrifice. From the beginning of humanity as fallen, He has requires blood for sin. It's all a proof of faith, and not to earn anything. The way God has worked throughout the Judeo-Christian history is that He gives the way to forgiveness, to remission of sin, and whoever chooses to follow may follow.

Who made God? God IS. He tells Moses His name is "I Am," which means He is -- any time, any place, God is. There was no time when God did not exist.

We do all have eternal life. There has been an incorrect connotation with this term for a long time. What is meant is that whoever does not believe in the way to salvation, Jesus and everything He did and why, would have eternal death. This is the eternal process of dying and decaying in any and every manner possible, at every stage except permanent death, forever.

Frank Apisa wrote:
I can understand the fact that you think it reasonable to suppose a human sacrifice is necessary to appease your god...

...but I am having more and more trouble understanding why you people are so dead certain that Jesus was this god's ONLY son.

What information do you suppose John had that lead him to suppose the god only impregnated one woman?

John 14:6: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
Why would God send several sons/children to die, but only one would be THE way?

Why is it that every prophecy in the Bible regarding the Messiah is singular?

Your question is unfounded -- find something that can back up such an unreasonable claim, if you want to ask Christians about their faith.

For when the world with all its earthly wisdom failed to perceive and recognize and know God by means of its own philosophy, God in His wisdom was pleased through the foolishness of preaching [salvation, procured by Christ and to be had through Him], to save those who believed (who clung to and trusted in and relied on Him).
1 Corinthians 1:21

Verses 22-24 basically say that basically for those who seek only the concrete, like signs, and solid philosophy, which Christianity does not meet according to those seeking philosophy, that it is all worthless. But if you decide to believe, it becomes a sign for itself and the absolute truth.

For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For consider your call, brethren; not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth; but God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise, God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong, God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are (v.25-28)

Once a foolish man stood in front of a fast train and said, "If you believe, it exists. If you don't believe, it doesn't."
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 02:53 pm
[Directed towards Eastree]
"Portal Star wrote:
Is is reasonable to believe in a diety who can ressurect people from the dead and turn water into wine? Once one accepts that not all of the bible is true, one has to ask oneself what parts of the bible are true.

What about the things which still happen today? Do you discredit the people who are healed of various things on a daily basis? By this, I recognize both Christian and non-Christian events though I am a Christian and I have never witnessed a non-Christian healing. "

First, let me say that I respect the fact that you differentiate between Christianity and the followers of Christianity. Also, let me say that I don't mind someone holding a personal belief that is not my personal belief, or even an irrational personal belief. However, when people make claims for somthing they believe in that is inconsistent with logic or science, and they try to impose those beliefs in education or in other people's lives (i.e. creationists, miracle healers, late night scary loudspeaker convert missionaries) in which case I strongly oppose them.

I gather that you are not one of these people, so I am not attempting a personal attack, but a discussion.

About Christian healing:
There is a good show about christian healing on Penn and Teller's "Bullshit" series. Many (if not all) of the cases are fraud, especially t.v. healings.

I am not sure whether you are talking about "miracles" or success in the medical field. People are healed daily in extrordinary ways thanks to research and modern science. People were healed through medicine before Christianity existed, and success is proportional to amount of research, equipment, and technology available, so I would not attribute medical successses to Christianity.

If you are speaking of the poll published showing christians had more health benefits than non-christians, you should know that that study was later discredited. It was discredited because they repeated the study with people who were members of strong social groups involving community interaction (non-religious and religous), and the non religous groups got the same scores as the religous groups. Which is why they now attribute better health with a strong social community, and not religion specifically.

So, if what you speak of are neither of those or you feel I am incorrect, please elaborate. Also, what do you consider a "non-christian" healing, and why have you never witnessed one?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 06:02 pm
Eastree wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

John 14:6: "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Why is it that every prophecy in the Bible regarding the Messiah is singular?

Your question is unfounded -- find something that can back up such an unreasonable claim, if you want to ask Christians about their faith.

I'll try to answer all of your questions, Eastree. Let's take it bit by bit -- in no particular order:

Quote:
Your question is unfounded...

How can a question be "unfounded?"

A question is a question -- and any suggestion that a question can be "unfounded" is absurd.

Quote:
...find something that can back up such an unreasonable claim...

What claim?

I didn't make any claim. I asked a question.

What are you talking about here?

Quote:

I have no idea of why a god would send ANY children to die -- unless the god is a psychopath or a scumbag. So perhaps the answer to your question is: Because the god is a psychopathic scumbag.

I'm not saying that necessarily is the case -- just that I cannot think of a more reasonable explanation for the god sending one son to be killed, so obviously I cannot think of a more reasonable explanation for sending more than one.

Since my question (the one you considered unfounded) was: "What information do you suppose John had that lead him to suppose the god only impregnated one woman?"...

...why are you responding to it by quoting John? Surely you are not suggesting that John consulted himself to determine his god had only one son.

And are you absolutely positive that this god of yours hasn't been impregnating women all over the universe?

Frankly, Eastree, I consider Christianity to be an absurd religion - and I guess my feelings about it are reflected in some of my responses.

You sound like an intelligent person.

I'm surprised you don't consider Christianity to be absurd also.
0 Replies