Senator Edward Kennedy Dies at 77

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:02 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

.....Me too but I have a suspicion that rosborne is right on the money. This is looking more and more like just a lot of talk.

sickeningly so...

and i gotta say that if the democratic party has any real aspirations of passing any meaningful stuff on the agenda that they promoted and placed in the white house, they 'effin' well best get rid of harry reid and get somebody with some dynamics in as majority leader. 'cause he sure as hell isn't making it happen.

i'm not letting obama off the hook either. i understand that he has been handed a steaming pile to deal with, and i actually feel like he's doing a pretty good job with what he has to work with.

but damn, he needs to go over to congress and ride herd. between the party of "no", the party of "i don't know" the country is stagnating.

murky and smelly, i tell ya.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:04 pm
@mysteryman,
it will be nice not to have to mourn the passing of the of george h and george w, since ther father/grandfather was a nazi supporter, i'm sure that will negate any good they may have done
mysteryman

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:44 pm
@djjd62,
Please show where I ever said that how their dad made his money negated any good that the Kennedy boys did.
I was commenting on a statement about Joseph Kennedy Sr, and if you had bothered to actually read my post you would have known that.

Ted Kennedy's murder of Mary Jo negated any good he might have done,IMHO.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:45 pm

saw the procession pass by near my office, on it's way to the JFK library...
mysteryman

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:46 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
there are those that denigrated the passing of Ron Reagan just as there are those that will denigrate the passing of Ted Kennedy. I say shame on them for they were patriots beyond campare and cared deeply for the people and the nation. I am sorry Ted was flawed (unlike you and me) .

Thats true.

However, I have never understood the need for people to find nice things to say about someone when they die.
If you didnt like or respect someone when they were alive, why should you pretend to like or respect them when they die?
Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:46 pm
dyslexia wrote:

there are those that denigrated the passing of Ron Reagan just as there are those that will denigrate the passing of Ted Kennedy. I say shame on them for they were patriots beyond campare and cared deeply for the people and the nation. I am sorry Ted was flawed (unlike you and me) .

Whatever the Kennedys were doing, I believe, there were many people that looked at them as some sort of American aristocracy. We do not have aristocracies in the U.S., so I tended to ignore the news about the Kennedys.

As a family, they might have been therapeutic for some of those of a similar religion/ethnicity that felt some sort of halo effect onto their own level of self-esteem.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:49 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Please show where I ever said that how their dad made his money negated any good that the Kennedy boys did.
I was commenting on a statement about Joseph Kennedy Sr, and if you had bothered to actually read my post you would have known that.

Ted Kennedy's murder of Mary Jo negated any good he might have done,IMHO.

At the worst, it was manslaughter - Murder is a pretty specific term.

Still, a definite blemish on Kennedy's life - like many politicians, he was a complex and troubled guy.

Cycloptichorn
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:52 pm
@mysteryman,
There is no requirement to pretend to respect or like someone, before or after death.

Sometimes it is appropriate to show respect for the feelings of others by not saying anything.

Timing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 03:56 pm
@mysteryman,
It is one of those situations where ... if you have nothing good to say - you say nothing at all.

I agree if you did not really like the person or respect the person, you shouldn't necessarily say something nice, but I do believe in this circumstance you say nothing at all rather than make something up.

But don't you think there is something postive that can be said about almost everyone? You don't have to pretend to like them or respect them, but you can say well he was a great debator or perhaps something you do admire in him.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:23 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I agree if you did not really like the person or respect the person, you shouldn't necessarily say something nice, but I do believe in this circumstance you say nothing at all rather than make something up.

I hope you arent saying that I made anything up about him.
I presented the facts about what happened, and nothing more.
jespah

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
Saw the procession at City Hall Plaza. Victoria looked very, well, people can debate all they like but she just lost her husband.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:49 pm
@mysteryman,
MM - the legal term is vehicular homicide. Murder requires intent, homicide may be accidental. Leaving the scene of an accident was the lesser charge, but I don't think he was ever prosecuted for either.
High Seas

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 04:51 pm
@Linkat,
That's true in the church where the service is being held, or in the presence of the deceased's family, but hardly extends to internet fora.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Any one think Joseph Patrick Kennedy will accept the senate seat if asked?

it might not be the best move

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2009/08/kennedys_last_wish_--_fulfille.html

Quote:
The appointee would be a temporary placeholder, barred (somehow) from running in the special election planned for January, so none of the candidates then will have the benefit of incumbency
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
@ehBeth,
slideshow at Vanity Fair

the first photo is sweet

gotta say I love Joan's hair in the 1960's
Sglass

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:39 pm
@ehBeth,
Then perhaps they'll let Carolyn dip her toes into the muddied waters of Massachusetts politics for the experience. Does she have to be a resident of Massachusetts?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:41 pm
@Sglass,
To be a Mass Senator, yes she does.
Sglass

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:03 am
@mysteryman,
I wonder how Joan is doing. Her kids have her walking a tight rope viz a viz her drinking.

She always reminds me of a freightened doe.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 03:46 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, Beth.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 06:11 am
@Sglass,
I don't believe Caroline will get involved. She's spent most of her 50 years avoiding the spotlight, and her dipping her toes in the NY political scene didn't go well. Then again, maybe Massachussetts will be kinder to her.

I imagine if I'd married a Kennedy man I'd become an alcoholic too. I
As much as I admire the family, they are ruthless bunch with enormous appetites for Everything--- dalliances, liquor, money, public service, legislation, etc.

Joan was a looker, the 60s and 70s hair is frightening, though.
0 Replies