Would anarchy really work

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:50 am
I just think about how the government is in everything. What it be like if there were no government. We say we are a free nation but really people don't want freedom. Freedom requires thought, freedom requires action, freedom requires struggle. People only want the freedom to be comfortable. They want someone to tell them want to think whether it is their pastor, their teacher, or their elected officials. They want MTV and Paris Hilton tell them what is cool and what isn't

roger

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:39 am
@g7yarbro,
A good friend of mine points out that Italy has been doing fine, for years.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:57 am
The title of this thread is just unutterably hilarious . . .
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 04:36 am

Is anarchy inherently unstable
for lack of co-ordinated defenses ?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:26 am
@g7yarbro,
Anarchism can only work if people are, on the whole, good, just as libertarianism can only work if people are, on the whole, rational. That's why neither anarchism nor libertarianism are viable political systems.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:54 pm
By definition, anarchy can't "work."
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It can be a viable state of affairs.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It can be a viable state of affairs.

It can be a state of affairs.

Whether or not it is viable depends upon your definition of the word.

It cannot work, because anarchy is the antithesis or working.

There is a point when then iconclast becomes a boor.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
It cannot work, because anarchy is the antithesis or working.

Where did you get that idea?
dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:29 am
@joefromchicago,
I am almost positive that Finn gets his ideas following a careful gathering of all available information, meticulous analysis and well reasoned processes. Never have i seen any indication of Finn resorting knee-jerk reactionary conclusions.
Sincerely, Gabby Hayes.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:43 am
@g7yarbro,
I think real anarchy is probably very hard to maintain and inherently unstable. This may sound unreasonable given that randomness and chaos would seem to be the natural state in physics.

However, for most biological systems including human civilizations and society, interactions and order, provide benefits to collections of organisms, so "systems" in various forms tend to arise as a natural function of improved survival.

Human beings are more prolific when they live in groups, and within groups, natural systems of interaction (anti-anarchy) tend to form. So ultimately I don't think pure anarchy will "work".

I know that answer is probably more vague than you were looking for, but I think it still applies.
0 Replies

g7yarbro

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:54 am
@g7yarbro,
I guess even in the absence of law and order it's human nature to follow the alpha dog. There was order before the constitution and there will be order after.
Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:26 am
@g7yarbro,
g7arbro wrote:
Would anarchy really work

Let me answer this question in the spirit of Bill Clinton: It all depends on what you mean by "anarchy" -- and what you mean by "work".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:36 am
I used to be an anarchist . . . but no one ever showed up for the meetings, so i gave it up . . .
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:40 am
@g7yarbro,
g7yarbro wrote:

I guess even in the absence of law and order it's human nature to follow the alpha dog. There was order before the constitution and there will be order after.
I don't think anarchy is the absence of law and order, I think anarchy is the absence of superfluous law and order.
Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:40 am
Anarchy would work just fine if there was sufficient structure to not need it Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
I don't think anarchy is the absence of law and order, I think anarchy is the absence of superfluous law and order.

You're right. As the American Heritage Dictionary puts it, anarchism is "[t]he theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished". Anarchy is about the absence of governments. It isn't necessarily about the absence of law and order. Indeed, anarchists have invested a lot of work investigating how to maintain law and order without a government. You can argue whether their investigations have turned up any viable alternative to what we now have. And there are perfectly reasonable people who would say that they didn't, including myself. But if you dismiss anarchism, you have to dismiss it for a better reason than a false conception of what it means.
0 Replies

estonianwoodsman

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:43 pm
@g7yarbro,
In countries with very capatalistic systems such as the U.S. economic systems would still flourish. Business' will continue without government intervention. As long as business' survive and supply people with their needs, one can expect stability.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:24 am

Some folks (liberals, usually) regard anarchy as the same as chaos.
It is not.

Anarchy only means no government.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:02 am
With the "happiness is a warm gun crowd" on the loose, anarchy would be chaos . . . QED.