I left my trunk open overnight...

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:26 pm
So the trunk light was on for about 8 hours. Will that drain the battery life out of my car? Can a car battery be re-charged? Or do I need to replace my battery with a new one? I bought my car battery two years ago.

George

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:33 pm
@Jeremiah,
Your engine is recharging your battery all the time.
Did the car start?
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:37 pm
@Jeremiah,
Well, now, that's a whole lot of questions. Will leaving the trunk open drain the battery? Well, that's easy enough to determine -- just go and see if you can start the car. If the car starts, you didn't drain the battery, it's OK. If it won't start, you've probably got a dead battery which needs to be recharged. Can a battery be re-charged? Yes, of course. Not indefinitely, but if it's only two years old it shouldn't be that much of a problem. Try this, if the car won't start: get a jump start with jumper cables. Then drive the car around for a while -- say, half an hour. That'll recharge the battery without your needing to take it out and put it on a charger.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:38 pm
@George,
You snuck that in, George, while I was typing.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:47 pm
@Merry Andrew,
The simple unvarnished logic of MA is often overwhelming. I must sit down to reflect the wisdom he gives us all.
Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:54 pm
@Jeremiah,
It is possible to drain the battery - happened to me when I left that little light on that is inside the car. All I did was get a jump start and the car and battery were fine. Missed an interview, but the car was fine.
C99

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:16 pm
@Linkat,
They are coming out with plug-in hybrids, but,
they are still mabye 2 years from coming out with it
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:01 pm
@farmerman,
I'm always gratified to hear I've impressed you, farmer. I work hard at it, y'know. As for cars, any day now I'll get up the gumption to try and change my own flat tires. Been calling AAA to do it, mostly.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
AAA is great stuff , aint it?

Dont get all swell headed, I just liked the simple straightforward way you explained the situation, right after another thought worked its way round my head
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 01:03 pm
The car did start! I like to thank you all. The answers I read were very informative.
McTag

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 01:31 pm
@Jeremiah,

If the car started, fuggeddaboudit.

And leave the boot lid shut. Er, the trunk.
0 Replies