8 Facts and 8 Myths on healthcare..

Ceili

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:40 am
David Axelrod sent out this information today and wants it to go viral. Let's get this spread far and wide. Send it out to your email lists.

--------------------

8 WAYS HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM PROVIDES SECURITY AND STABILITY TO ALL AMERICANS

1. Ends Discrimination for Pre-Existing Conditions: Insurance companies will be prohibited from refusing you coverage because of your medical history.

2. Ends Exorbitant Out-of-Pocket Expenses, Deductibles or Co-Pays: Insurance companies will have to abide by yearly caps on how much they can charge for out-of-pocket expenses.

3. Ends Cost-Sharing for Preventive Care: Insurance companies must fully cover, without charge, regular checkups and tests that help you prevent illness, such as mammograms or eye and foot exams for diabetics.

4. Ends Dropping of Coverage for Seriously Ill: Insurance companies will be prohibited from dropping or watering down insurance coverage for those who become seriously ill.

5. Ends Gender Discrimination: Insurance companies will be prohibited from charging you more because of your gender.

6. Ends Annual or Lifetime Caps on Coverage: Insurance companies will be prevented from placing annual or lifetime caps on the coverage you receive.

7. Extends Coverage for Young Adults: Children would continue to be eligible for family coverage through the age of 26.

8. Guarantees Insurance Renewal: Insurance companies will be required to renew any policy as long as the policyholder pays their premium in full. Insurance companies won't be allowed to refuse renewal because someone became sick.

Learn more and get details:
http://tinyurl.com/nbn5fg

8 COMMON MYTHS ABOUT HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM

1. It's a myth that reform will mean a "government takeover" of health care or lead to "rationing." To the contrary, reform will forbid many forms of rationing that are currently being used by insurance companies.

2. It's a myth that reform will bust the budget. To the contrary, the President has identified ways to pay for the vast majority of the up-front costs by cutting waste, fraud, and abuse within existing government health programs; ending big subsidies to insurance companies; and increasing efficiency with such steps as coordinating care and streamlining paperwork. In the long term, reform can help bring down costs that will otherwise lead to a fiscal crisis.

3. It's a malicious myth that reform would encourage or even require euthanasia for seniors. For seniors who want to consult with their family and physicians about end-of life decisions, reform will help to cover these voluntary, private consultations for those who want help with these personal and difficult family decisions.

4. It's a myth that health insurance reform will affect veterans' access to the care they get now. To the contrary, the President's budget significantly expands coverage under the VA, extending care to 500,000 more veterans who were previously excluded. The VA Healthcare system will continue to be available for all eligible veterans.

5. It's a myth that health insurance reform will hurt small businesses. To the contrary, reform will ease the burdens on small businesses, provide tax credits to help them pay for employee coverage and help level the playing field with big firms who pay much less to cover their employees on average.

6. It's myth that Health Insurance Reform would be financed by cutting Medicare benefits. To the contrary, reform will improve the long-term financial health of Medicare, ensure better coordination, eliminate waste and unnecessary subsidies to insurance companies, and help to close the Medicare "doughnut" hole to make prescription drugs more affordable for seniors.

7. It's myth that reform will force you out of your current insurance plan or force you to change doctors. To the contrary, reform will expand your choices, not eliminate them.

8. It is an absurd myth that government will be in charge of your bank accounts. Health insurance reform will simplify administration, making it easier and more convenient for you to pay bills in a method that you choose. Just like paying a phone bill or a utility bill, you can pay by traditional check, or by a direct electronic payment. And forms will be standardized so they will be easier to understand. The choice is up to you - and the same rules of privacy will apply as they do for all other electronic payments that people make.

Learn more and get details:
http://tinyurl.com/lyxel4

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6296060
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,335 • Replies: 10
No top replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:39 am
Good luck with this information. Most of the get government out of our lives people will do what they do best and ignore these facts without ever checking on the validity of them. The same ones who believed whatever the Bush government and the republican congress told them for more than 12 years while they screwed up most of the world. Whatever the republicans screw up the one thing they seem to be best at is lieing and munipulateing the public!
JTT

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:38 pm
@rabel22,
Don't worry. Mark my words; as soon as Foxfyre gets this in her email, she'll post it on the Conservatives in 2008 and Beyond thread. She's such a stickler for being even-handed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
Thanks for the info. I'll forward this to Glen Beck and Sarah Palin immediately.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:12 am
@Ceili,
Thanks for posting that, Ceili.
Most civilized countries have this kind of healthcare insurance for its people and they seem much healthier than Americans.
There is always private insurance for these who wish to get superb service - everyone else can get at least what they pay for.

So far, I pay a small fortune for a PPO, still have a deductible and co-pays.
My insurance dictates how much and what kind of medication I should have and
I need pre-approval for major procedures. In turn, my healthcare provider gets a fraction of what the procedure cost
and if he goes beyond and above his care to provide for his patients, he'll get zero reimbursed.

It's about time that we stand up and don't let healthcare insurances dictate
us how to take care of our health, while at the same time take us to the cleaners.
0 Replies

Martooni

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:10 pm
@Ceili,
As to myth number 3. Why is end of life issue even in the health care bill? Any doctor worth his/her salt should be discussing this anyhow, and , in my experience, they are. Why the need for a special procedure code?
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:13 pm
@Martooni,
it's not legal everywhere, i believe doctors are helping patients, but they could be charged if it was proven

i agree that euthanasia should be a viable option, we can end a dogs suffering, but not grandma's
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:25 pm
@Martooni,
They currently aren't reimbursed for the time it takes to have these discussions so, if they do it at all, they have to code it as something else. The HC bill puts a reimbursement code in place for these discussions.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:28 am
@Martooni,
Quote:
As to myth number 3. Why is end of life issue even in the health care bill? Any doctor worth his/her salt should be discussing this anyhow, and , in my experience, they are. Why the need for a special procedure code?

Perhaps someone would be unlucky enough not to have a doctor not worth his or her salt to discuss those decisions.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:46 am
Quote:
8 WAYS HEALTH INSURANCE REFORM PROVIDES SECURITY AND STABILITY TO ALL AMERICANS

1. Ends Discrimination for Pre-Existing Conditions: Insurance companies will be prohibited from refusing you coverage because of your medical history.

2. Ends Exorbitant Out-of-Pocket Expenses, Deductibles or Co-Pays: Insurance companies will have to abide by yearly caps on how much they can charge for out-of-pocket expenses.

3. Ends Cost-Sharing for Preventive Care: Insurance companies must fully cover, without charge, regular checkups and tests that help you prevent illness, such as mammograms or eye and foot exams for diabetics.

4. Ends Dropping of Coverage for Seriously Ill: Insurance companies will be prohibited from dropping or watering down insurance coverage for those who become seriously ill.

5. Ends Gender Discrimination: Insurance companies will be prohibited from charging you more because of your gender.

6. Ends Annual or Lifetime Caps on Coverage: Insurance companies will be prevented from placing annual or lifetime caps on the coverage you receive.

7. Extends Coverage for Young Adults: Children would continue to be eligible for family coverage through the age of 26.

8. Guarantees Insurance Renewal: Insurance companies will be required to renew any policy as long as the policyholder pays their premium in full. Insurance companies won't be allowed to refuse renewal because someone became sick.

It sounds absolutely wonderful. But...................................from where is the money for all this extra service going to come? Will the insurance companies be profitable enough to make it worth their while to stay in business?

I live in Florida. Florida has been hit by hurricanes that have really hit the insurance companies hard. As a result, most of the major insurance companies cannot afford to write homeowners' policies in Florida.

We had our homeowners' policy with Metropolitan. Some time back, we were informed that Metropolitan will not be writing homeowners' policies in Florida. They were part of a long list of major companies that stopped writing policies here. When we told them that we had been customers for decades, with no claims, they replied that they had to be "in" or "out" of the state. They could not cherry pick.

So, the only thing left for us was to choose from a few cockamamie companies that have sprung up in the last few years. We had a few questions to ask of the broker, but his interest appeared to have diminished as soon as we signed on.

I really wonder what would happen if we really had a problem.

Can anyone see any parallels?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:23 am
No Phoenix! Your basic healthcare would be executed by the government,
only your supplemental (if you choose so) will be private. Where the money
comes from? Partly from insurers themselves, employers and government,
splitting the cost in three ways. Without having done the figures myself,
I do believe that this system will be far less costly than Medicaid.
0 Replies