Psycho and Jaws--Some Behavior Adjustment?

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:30 pm
"Joy Ride" could make one motel phobic!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:34 pm
Don't think I ever saw that one.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:36 pm
The movie that scared the hell out of me was Forrest Gump. The part when he was running across country for years, and then eventually a whole crowd of people ran with him.... man, I was terrified by that. Now I have a fear of jogging. I'm afraid a mob will begin to run behind me. I just sit on the couch now. Maybe, in time, the fear will pass.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:50 pm
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" damned near put me right off salad for a while ... and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" could give some folks a phobia about buying sausage from little, out-of-the-way, rural roadstands. Of course, no one who's seen "The President's Analyst" will ever view The Phonne Company quite the same way ever again, either. Laughing

edited 'cause I'm too careless to preview before submitting ... twice in just this single post Embarrassed
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:52 pm
Gus
This is the first time you actually have me in tears. The laughter from your post has caused me to literally cry and I can feel your fear. I'm surprised this is the first time Forest Gump was brought up. I may never jog again.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:58 pm
Don't remember the movie, Raggedyaggie, but it jogged my memory for another, a Robin Cook story called "Coma." Actually, I just read the book, and like several of Cook's stories, it really took hospitals off my list of places to visit.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:06 pm
eoe, Wow. Major reaction. I saw a documentary about the story behind The Exorcist. A young boy was "possessed." Interesting but not scary.

Hey Monger, You didn't think it was maybe a little creepy? Nada? Nuttin'? Okey dokey.

[quote="timberlandkoNow, to swing this to a digression more closely aligned to the thrust of this thread, I once read a study of the perils of overindulgence that scared me so bad I almost gave up reading.[/quote]

LOL, Timber. And another LOL for the Killer Tomatoes.

Montana, I'm glad you got out of that place. I get nervous just thinking about it.

LW, Never saw Joy Ride. Should I look for it?

Gus, Became a couch potato just because of Gump. Poor baby.

Another movie that scared me mucho was The Haunting. I think that's the title. It was with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom. The scene where the door stretched made me noivous.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:26 pm
"Joy Ride" :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206314/combined
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:31 pm
Thanks, LW. I think this has been showing on cable lately. I'll look for it.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 10:29 pm
Roberta wrote:
Hey Monger, You didn't think it was maybe a little creepy? Nada? Nuttin'? Okey dokey.

It was probably the hype that killed it for me. I'd seen polls where people voted it the scariest movie of all time, and I'd heard the stories 'bout people becomming possessed en masse after watching it and such. Rolling EyesRolling Eyes

by the way, back in the day my dad was a bit of an exorsist himself, it was believed. He says the makers payed very close attention to small details people often report in possession stories.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 12:50 am
Monger, You lost me with this, "He says the makers payed very close attention to small details people often report in possession stories." Makers?

Roger, You blaming Robin Cook for your aversion to hospitals? I didn't need any help with that.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 12:59 am
um, sorry...makers of the movie, that is, 'boita Smile
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:17 pm
Aha. Now I follow. Thanks, Monger.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:42 pm
"Joyride" is very tight thriller reminiscent of Spielberg's "Duel" about a phantom trucker persuing two young men who have pulled a CB practical joke. I just found a glaring omission in IMDB -- a search brought up no listing of "Duel" which was Spielberg's first film and the real reason he was asked to direct "Jaws." I'll try IMDB Pro and if it's also not there, I guess I have to E mail the Webmaster!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:47 pm
roger wrote:
Don't remember the movie, Raggedyaggie, but it jogged my memory for another, a Robin Cook story called "Coma." Actually, I just read the book, and like several of Cook's stories, it really took hospitals off my list of places to visit.

Oh yes, Coma, with Michael Chrichton directing. Scared the wits out of me. That one's really close to home today.

And then, there were all those movies with sadistic doctors. The one I remember best is King's Row. I'm getting goosebumps thinking about that one now, Roberta.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 06:46 pm
Yeah!
Showers became dangerous after watched "Psycho".

So, instead of avoiding beaches, I avoided "Jaws".

Instead of getting paranoid when carrying weed, I avoided "Midnight Express".

And yes, I also avoided "Fatal Attraction" for mental health reasons.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 02:40 am
Laeknir, LOL. Don't tell me you never saw Jaws. Despite the fear it caused, it was a good movie.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 03:04 am
It was a very good movie. In fact it was too darn good, LOL!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 08:48 am
I only just saw Jaws for the first time a few years ago, on TV, with commercial breaks. STILL scared the bejeezus out of me.

I agree with Monger on the Exorcist, though. Watched it around the same time (E.G. was on a "Whaddya mean you never saw ______???" kick -- I watched the first 3 Star Wars movies for the first time, then, too.) I think it has to do with production values -- they were good at the time, but from a current perspective you're distracted by thinking "that looks SO fake!"

Rosemary's Baby was quelle creepy, though.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 08:50 am
Yup, Jaws was amazingly good, which is amazing when you consider that the object causing all the fear was a mechanical shark that looked mechanical. I think that Spielberg got lucky with the shark, not that he needed luck. The fact that the shark was rarely functioning properly forced him to keep it from view. This heightened the anticipation. By the time we got to see Bruce, we were prepared to be scared, despite the fact that Bruce didn't look real

A similar thing occurred in Psycho. Although I'm sure that Hitchcock planned it, the fact is that not seeing the "mother" until well into the movie heightened our anticipation and our fear at the revelation. Uh oh. I'm remembering when I went to see Psycho. My friends were afraid to look at the screen. I can look at anything in a movie. When Vera Miles went to the fruit cellar and tapped deal ole mom on the shoulder, my friends couldn't look. They wanted to know what happened. I said, "Mommy is a mummy." I may have ruined the movie for some folks around me who started to laugh. Sometimes I can't help myself.

I'll refrain from telling you about another choice remark I made at a movie. It's too far off topic.
0 Replies