Psycho and Jaws--Some Behavior Adjustment?

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:21 pm
Roberta wrote:
Hiya Brandon and Welcome.

I don't mean to dominate the thread with private conversations, but thanks for the kind welcome.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
Gigli gave me a pathological fear of Ben Affleck and J-Lo. It has subsided somewhat since they called the wedding off. It's too bad really, that film ruined any chance of me seeing Jersey Girl....the horror...the horror....
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 09:24 pm
Laughing Cav Laughing

The movie The Exorcist, mentioned earlier, kept every child in my neighborhood awake at nights for several weeks. My daughter saw that one without my permission. She didn't tell me she was going to see it (her father took her),but she told me plenty about it while incurring nightmares and I told him plenty about how I felt, believe me. Laughing

Psycho didn't affect me as much as The Birds did. Particulary, when the school children were involved. I still get the willies when I see a lot of birds sitting on a wire or fence, and for some reason they do prefer to land on the fence in my yard.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:01 pm
Sofia wrote:
Isn't it crazy, the affect Jaws had? I saw it at Daytona--big mistake! I wouldn't get in the pool! Figure that!?

The Carol Burnett take-off on Jaws was hilarious. Tim Conway (wait, was it Harvey?) in crusty fisherman garb, fishing in the toidy and tub...

SNL--.........."Land Shark"......

The Blair Witch Project killed hiking for me, as well. Already suffer from directional retardation.

Psycho didn't freak me about showers, as much as checking into isolated hotels alone....

Sofia
That psycho shark was enough to scare anyone out of all pools of water, but I have to admit that I still and always loved pools. I kinda knew that Jaws wasn't gonna go there :-)

"Land Shark", Oh, wasn't that just a riot? I still remember that skit clear as day, hahaha!

Psych didn't do anything to me either shower wise, but I still don't like going to isolated hotels alone.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:03 pm
Roberta
You're right, it didn't help at all. I don't like to go where sharks live ;-) That damn Jaws!!! LOL!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:03 pm
Who avoided elevators after Dressed to Kill?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:05 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Roberta wrote:

I don't mean to dominate the thread with private conversations, but thanks for the kind welcome.

Brandon
Oh heck, I was so wrapped up in the big damn shark that I forgot to give you a big welcome to A2K :-D
No worries, we tend to float off subject quite a bit in here, so just relax and make yourself at home ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:08 pm
The Exorcist didn't effect me at all for some reason. It scared the pants off me while I was watching it, but when it was over, it was over. Phew!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 10:16 pm
Roberta
Candygram, hahahahaha!!!!!! That was just tooo funny, LOL!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:44 am
Montana wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Roberta wrote:

Brandon
Oh heck, I was so wrapped in in the big damn shark that I forgot to give you a big welcome to A2K :-D
No worries, we tend to float off subject quite a bit in here, so just relax and make yourself at home ;-)

What a friendly place this is!!! Thanks!!!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 01:40 am
Cav, A pathological fear of Ben Affleck and J-Lo? But how has that affected your behavior? Have you stopped wearing Versacci dresses? There was an elevator in Dressed to Kill? I don't remember that. Doesn't matter. I had no choice. I worked on the 29th floor. However, after I saw the Towering Inferno, I wanted my company to set up a desk for me in the lobby.

Raggedie, Some movies shouldn't be seen by kids--or easily spooked grown-ups. I remember sitting on the subway platform waiting for the B train. I saw an ad that read, "The Birds Is Coming." I had to stop and think. A grammatical mistake? Nope. An attention-getter? Yup. I wasn't bothered at all by The Birds. I don't know why.

Montana, You sparked a frightening memory. I was on a business trip, in a strange motel in the middle of nowhere. And the book I was reading? The Stranger Beside Me--a book about Ted Bundy. That was a mistake. I got scared, closed the book, and checked the closet and under the beds. At that moment, Norman Bates wasn't an issue. A behavioral change I heard about after the Exorcist was that people stopped eating pea soup. This may be just a myth.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:19 am
Raggedyaggie,
I was around six or seven years old when I saw The Exorcist. I was too young. It was traumatizing.

How old was your daughter when she saw it?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:47 am
Infrablue: My daughter was older than you were at that time and old enough to know better, particularly since I had heard so much about The Exorcist and had warned her. Very Happy I can imagine how traumatic that must have been for a six or seven year old.

Roberta: Perhaps you, or one of the movie buffs here, may recall a movie, the title of which escapes me, about a serial killer in a hospital. It might have been "The Hospital" with George C. Scott, but I'm not sure. The killer had no problem entering hospital rooms and I've thought about that often. My last two overnight hospital stays, I lost a lot of sleep, keeping my eyes peeled on the door. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:33 am
Raggedy, You're right as usual. I'm pretty sure it was the Hospital. Paddy Chaevksy (sp?) A strange and good movie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 10:44 am
I saw the Exorcist when I was eighteen. It wrecked me for six months. No movie had ever rocked my world like that before nor since. But of course, I was very careful from that point on to avoid any and all movies involving demon possession and the like.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 12:58 pm
I watched it for the first time last year (was 17). Personally I thought it was a total plodder & sooo unscary. Still, if I'd watched it when I was 6 or 7 like some of you guys did, when I was a good little Christian boy, I think I would'a been freaked too! Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 03:48 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
What a friendly place this is!!!
Just wait, partner, you ain't seen all the forums yet. Twisted Evil
Seriously, though, welcome, and look around ... this place is huge. And if ya want any help figurin' stuff out, just holler. Those color-formatted links down in my signature line will lead you to lots of good info, too.

Now, to swing this to a digression more closely aligned to the thrust of this thread, I once read a study of the perils of overindulgence that scared me so bad I almost gave up reading.

OK, anybody who wants to can bring this back to movies now. Somebody should. Please do. :wink:
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:50 pm
Let's see, a movie that makes reading scary...hmmm.

A lot of spy thrillers where the protagonist reads something that is going to get them into serious trouble.

You wouldn't be spying over her, now timber?

And I for one am always friendly with birds such as your alert eagle. I wouldn't dream of plucking it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 04:52 pm
(Speaking of "The Exorcist," I know timber can think of some members past a present he'd like to perform an exorcism on).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:26 pm
Roberta said: Montana, You sparked a frightening memory. I was on a business trip, in a strange motel in the middle of nowhere. And the book I was reading? The Stranger Beside Me--a book about Ted Bundy. That was a mistake. I got scared, closed the book, and checked the closet and under the beds. At that moment, Norman Bates wasn't an issue. A behavioral change I heard about after the Exorcist was that people stopped eating pea soup. This may be just a myth.

About three years ago I had to take a trip to Mass alone and when I was on my way back I was in very secluded town when I ran into a rain storm bad enough to where I had to stop since I couldn't even see out my car window. I was at a ratty little motel, but I had to rent a room since I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me on the road. When I got in the room I was beside myself because I've never seen such a small motel room and the stench in that room was awful. Thank god the storm blew over within the hour because I couldn't stay in that place much longer. The thoughts that went through my mind while I was there were scary to say the least. I felt like I was in a bad movie.
0 Replies