TTH

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:03 pm
@CalamityJane,
My uncle is a retired airline pilot and has his planes at that airport. I have landed there and it was a really smooth landing.
Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:34 pm
@TTH,
Quote:
Quote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Translation (what Robert said): The 'copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the small plane's flight path on takeoff. That's a busy skyway over the Hudson R.
How do you figure that the copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the plane? They are flying with radios and on visual.

I said I was merely "translating" what Robert had said. He had mentioned the need to monitor and regulate altitudes of helicopters because of the proximity of the Hudson R. to the Teterboro flight paths.
TTH

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:47 pm
@TTH,
TTH wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
Translation (what Robert said): The 'copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the small plane's flight path on takeoff. That's a busy skyway over the Hudson R.
How do you figure that the copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the plane? They are flying with radios and on visual.
Let me rephrase this question of mine. Is there an airspace regulation of how high or low the helicopter should be in that area? Was the helicopter in the way of the take off path of the small plane? Is there a written regulation dealing with takeoffs and why was the copter pilot wrong? I am not familiar with that area so just wondering.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:49 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Oh okay, that makes sense, thanks.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 09:04 pm
@TTH,
TTH wrote:

My uncle is a retired airline pilot and has his planes at that airport. I have landed there and it was a really smooth landing.

It usually is. San Diego had only one plane accident and it was due to a small
private aircraft disobeying flight path and colliding with a PSA over downtown
San Diego.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 09:58 pm
@TTH,
I used to love PSA. Love is probably not the word, but I liked them a lot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 05:37 am
@Merry Andrew,
I'll never have the money in time for that conference!!!

I'll be more likely to be landing (again) in some minute bush regional airport on the only aircraft of the day, with me suitcase thrown off the plane again if I am late checking in on the way back, and lucky not to fall down an opal hole or nearly get caught in a riot....(last time I REALLY went bush we just happened to be there in a remote aboriginal community on the day AFTER a riot, but BEFORE the police STAR force came out to back up the local coppers in case there was trouble again when they came in to arrest a couple of folk.)

I suppose we might be unlucky enough to get hit by a local cocky flying the family Cessna without a flight plan.
0 Replies

C99

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:24 am
@C99,
doesnt the plane that goes to the san diego airport have to basically take a nose
dive becuase the airport is surrounded by tall buildings?
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:50 am
@C99,
No, the San Diego airport is unique in that it's the busiest single-runway airport in America and yes it's right smack dab in the middle of downtown, but most people wouldn't notice a difference in the landing at all.
C99

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
o ok Smile
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:23 pm
@Merry Andrew,
And if you are paying for the flight yourself, it is typically cheaper to fly to LAX with more flights and more direct flights.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:26 pm
@Linkat,
On the other hand, if you're on an expense account, a rental car at LAX presents no problem.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:38 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

And if you are paying for the flight yourself, it is typically cheaper to fly to LAX with more flights and more direct flights.

Jet Blue goes directly from Boston to San Diego for $ 174.00 - they even have
one seat left, Linkat Smile

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8996/picture1gnu.png
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:06 pm
Meanwhile, it's just been reported that the FAA has suspended two air traffic controllers at Teterboro Airport for alleged negligence in connection with the chopper/small fixed wing crash over the Hudson.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:19 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Hmmm.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 08:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, take my posts with a grain of salt. I'm still pissed at Reagan re the air traffic controllers of long ago.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 05:04 am
@CalamityJane,
Yeah - there are always exceptions, but having in the past flown to CA many times, most of the times it is cheaper and there are more direct flights to LAX than San Diego. Often times, you even change planes at LAX to go to San Diego.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:48 am
That's true, Linkat. I just try to avoid LAX altogether as it is such a busy
airport, long lines at the customs, baggage pick up, etc. and the ride down to San Diego is always a gamble. It can take you two hours on a good day, or 4 to 5 hours on a bad day.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:19 am
@CalamityJane,
I've also gone to some of those other smaller airports - I think something that begins with an O once when I was going to Palm Springs - Palm Springs was too expensive to fly into and it was actually cheaper and closer for me to fly into that other airport than LAX.

Yes - LAX can be nightmare. I usually check surrounding airports to see if I can get a better price or flight.
TTH

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:25 am
@Linkat,
Probably Ontario because it is only a couple hours away from Palm Springs and San Diego.