C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:32 pm
Did you guys hear about that plane crash that crashed into
a helicopter?
I have no idea how that happened. What do you think?
Question Question Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,890 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:39 pm
@C99,
That is a congested airway, and when you fly under 1000 feet you have no aid from air traffic controllers.

Accidents happen, but this particular area may need additional regulation (such as a minimum altitude requirement for the tourist helicopters).
C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
what?
i didnt quite understand that
Confused
Green Witch

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:00 pm
@C99,
Gremlins. It's the only logical answer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That seems as if it was a mess waiting to happen. I guess there were a lot of witnesses.. I haven't read what are probably many witness (or other) comments re the scenario yet.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:17 pm
@C99,
Quote:
what?

Translation (what Robert said): The 'copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the small plane's flight path on takeoff. That's a busy skyway over the Hudson R.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 03:18 pm
@C99,
Here is a good article about it:

Quote:
Mr. Sanders, a small man with big numbers in his log book, appreciates as much as anyone the otherworldly vantage point that lures helicopters filled with tourists and more than 200 private pilots a week to a narrow tunnel of sky over the Hudson River.

But he thinks it is ill advised to fly the path below 1,100 feet, where air traffic control goes silent and pilots rely only on each other to avoid crashes. That low ceiling " roughly level with the observation deck on the 86th floor of the Empire State Building " can push together many aircraft on different paths.

“When you squeeze a lot of air traffic in a very small space, you are looking for trouble,” he says. “I would stay with the tower. That’s the safest way to go. It’s another set of eyes out there for you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/nyregion/12flight.html?scp=1&sq=hudson&st=cse
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:21 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Quote:
what?

Translation (what Robert said): The 'copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the small plane's flight path on takeoff. That's a busy skyway over the Hudson R.

The NYC skyline always looked like an accident waiting to happen to me...with the number of little planes and helicopters constantly in the air.

It obviously generally isn't, since this one is such big news.
C99

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:23 pm
@dlowan,
did you know the plane that takes
you into san diego basically goes down head first when its landing?
Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:31 pm
@C99,
You think other planes don't ever do that?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
@C99,
C99 wrote:

did you know the plane that takes
you into san diego basically goes down head first when its landing?
Shocked

Well, it sounds somewhat better than bottom first.....

But seriously, I was just thinking that there is likely no circumstance that would ever lead me to San Diego, then realised there is a fantastic confereence there in January, that I would love to go to, and then travel on from (work would likely pay about a quarter of the conference fee, and I would get a bit off air travel and accommodation on my tax...just for the San Diego bit)...but I'll never be able to save up in time.

But why would San Diego have a steeper descent path than other large airports? If that is what you mean.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:34 pm
@C99,
That's not true. I've flown into San Diego more times than I care to remember
and so far (knock on wood) the plane has never taken a nose dive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:37 pm
@dlowan,
I used to land there all the time, but that was from LA, which might be different, what do I know. Others here would have opinions.

Picturing Dlowan in SD. It could work.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:37 pm
@dlowan,
You should come, dlowan - it's lovely here in San Diego.
The airport is right in the city, the runway is very short and only experienced
pilots can fly into San Diego. I only know this as we once had to wait hours in Chicago for the airline to find a pilot who was cleared to fly into San Diego.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 04:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
Aha, that rings true, CJ. I never worried back then, it beat the Greyhound Bus.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:05 pm
@dlowan,
Fly to LAX (Los Angeles), rent a car, take I-5 (Interstate Rte. 5) south. Takes you right into San Diego.

Problem with San Diego Airport isn't just the short runways. The commercial 'port is virtually cheek-by-jowl with the Naval Air Station at North Island and the air traffic can get awfully competitive coming in and taking off.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
'K, I suppose it is different from 1964.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:29 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
Fly to LAX (Los Angeles), rent a car, take I-5 (Interstate Rte. 5) south. Takes you right into San Diego.

I just did that (except a friend drove me) last weekend. Make sure to avoid traffic, or it's really not very enjoyable. On Friday it took us hours longer to make the trip to San Diego than going back Sunday morning.

Next time I'm just doing multiple flights and landing in San Diego, it really wasn't worth it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 05:30 pm
back to the Hudson corridor. Ive flown on several chopper flights from Teterboro and have always been amazed at the amount of traffic that is essentially self policed and Ive wondered about the safety (I hate choppers so as it is). There are often 10 or more helicopters in the air in this section , tourist,corporate, and taxi. If youre on a water taxi you can read the numbers on any plane that flies this corridor and thats not good to begin with.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 06:01 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
How do you figure that the copter was at the wrong altitude and got in the way of the plane? They are flying with radios and on visual.