PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION FOR THE UK!!!

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 04:30 am
Diminishing electorate turnout.
A feeling that your vote doesn't count.
Your political convictions defeated by your post code.
An unrepresentative government which does not reflect the choice of the public.
A false democracy.

All because of first-past-the-post.

How can we get rid of it?
And so what if PR often leads to coalition governments if it reflects the rule of the people? Isn't that what democracy means?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 991 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:06 am
@iamsam82,
In British Columbia, last May, we just had a provincial election, whereby the single transferable vote electoral system was proposed again, and for the second time, it was defeated.

The "first-past-the-post" camp put out a good scare campaign to defeat the other camp, and they won. Folks were scared of trying something new that they didn't understand well.

Personally, I was supporting the single transferable vote electoral system, at least until someone comes by with something better. The other doesn't work well, in my opinion.

We had an all time low voter turnout here in BC. People are just feeling apathetic about the whole process, and I can't really say I blame them, even though I have always voted. I am feeling discouraged.
0 Replies

Wayne Smith

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 09:03 pm
In the UK, you have the advantage of being able to see STV in action in Northern Ireland and in municipal elections in Scotland and Wales, so lies about PR might not be as easy to spread as in Canada.
0 Replies

iamsam82

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 12:55 pm
Apparantly, now that they know they're doomed in the next election, I've read that Labour are starting to talk about perhaps pushing PR through before it, just so that they get a couple of seats. How slimy can you get?
0 Replies