jcboy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 06:05 pm
Our new dog Paco would never listen to us when we called him. When its time to bring them in at night he would follow the other dogs in the house, he always completely ignored us, when I would stomp my foot to get his attention he would turn around and look at me.

A visit to the vet today pretty much confirmed it: Paco is deaf. We thought he'd been ignoring us for some time now.

Antonio doesn’t quite understand but he’s learning he has to stomp his food to get his dogs attention. We will still love Paco just the same, he just needs a different kind of attention then the other two dogs.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:14 pm
@jcboy,
Awww. It's good you all found out, it makes sense out of his behavior. Now you can understand him more, and he understand you more.

Lightening and thunderboomers here today, plus some pouring rain. Katy takes strong issue with all that - not so much afraid, but trying to set it straight.
Well, except for one lightening flash, when she took off and sailed around the yard. I got her to come in, and she hung closely around me for the next five minutes or so. Did the lean against your leg business, got some hugs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:27 pm
@jcboy,
Oh poor Paco! Could you find out if he was born deaf or if it was due to neglect by the previous owners?
My neighbor's dog (from the shelter) is deaf too and he was abused. I can't even imagine how they cope since hearing is part of their life, more so than smelling. I am glad Paco is in good hands now and it will be a good lesson for Antonio in learning how to deal with a handicapped dog.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 07:34 pm
The vet believes he was born that way. Could be one of the reason the previous owners abandoned him. Maybe they just didn’t know what was wrong, he would never listen to us.

We suspected something was wrong and Marco started stomping his feed and right away Paco would turn around. That’s when we took him in the Vet.

We will treat him the same as the other two, he just needs a different kind of love and attention.
Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:20 pm
@jcboy,
You guys are wonderful.

Your son is one lucky little boy to have such caring daddies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2012 08:25 pm
@jcboy,
Good thing that you took Paco in to find out what is going on with him. It's not that unusual in some types of purebreds.

Spend some time doing formal training with him - he'll learn to respond to hand signals. Most trainers actually recommend sight and sound training as a lot of dogs lose their sight or hearing as they age.

It'll be a good opportunity for your son to learn how to work with his dog (and it wouldn't hurt to have the other dogs learn the hand signals as well). Sight training is particularly handy if you've got the dogs in an off leash area and you want to get them back without getting every dog in the park responding to your shouts.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 05:48 am
Thank you Wink

I had my suspicions about Paco. At first we thought he was just one stubborn little dog. He loves Antonio and follows him everywhere but would never turn around when you called him but he feels the vibration on the floor when you stomped your feet.

This weekend we will be looking online for training exercises, I’m sure there are plenty out there, youtube etc.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 12:53 pm
http://artinfo.com/sites/default/files/20120705oneliner-shane1_0.png
Quote:
* “Dogma,” at Metro Pictures, 519 West 24th Street, June 28-August 10

Instead of simple dog-themed art, this thought-provoking group show (held during the "dog days" of summer) is an interesting, if not entirely convincing, look at the downside of 10,000 years of domesticating man's best friend, including the saddest dog painting you’ve ever seen by Martin Kippenberger and “Tragedy” by Nina Beier, the latter of which consists of a Persian rug that, at select times during the exhibition, is graced by a live dog playing dead. — Shane Ferro

http://artinfo.com/news/story/812423/one-line-reviews-our-staffs-pithy-takes-on-christian-jankowski-%E2%80%9Cmarxism%E2%80%9D-and-other-chelsea-gallery-shows

If you ever find yourself in NYC and long for something canineical to do:
“Dogma,” at Metro Pictures, 519 West 24th Street, June 28-August 10
http://www.metropicturesgallery.com/exhibitions/2012-06-28_dogma/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
The following pictures are of dogs that are about to be euthanized - heart wrenching and hopefully a deterrent to any dog owner who wants to get rid
of his pet.
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotograf-in-taiwan-macht-bilder-von-hunden-vor-einschlaeferung-fotostrecke-84485.html
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 06:37 am
I love watching this new TV show called Dogs in the City. This guy is really good and I’ve learned so much from his show.

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:42 am
@jcboy,
wow, I have never seen that show. That guy is good and I like that he told the girl that she needs to find a solution for her pitbulls. Gheez, I cannot imagine anyone having a pitbull, let alone three of them and another mix. What was she thinking?
jcboy

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:46 am
@CalamityJane,
Me too! We have our hands full with three dogs.

This guy is great, I usually DVR his show and watch it in the evening. I just stumbled across it one day while flipping the channel.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:53 am
@MMarciano,
MMarciano wrote:

This weekend we will be looking online for training exercises, I’m sure there are plenty out there, youtube etc.

I'd recommend taking the time for actual classes - doesn't have to be with anyone fancy - there are some very good classes through PetSmart, though the instructor would need to know in advance that there is a deaf dog in class

I truly think that in cases like this it helps to have a professional watch the dynamics between the dog and the owners. I particularly like the trainers that insist that the family children are the head trainers.
jcboy

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
I like that idea too. I see signs around the city for dog training classes. I think it would be good for Antonio to be there with his dog so he can learn how to control him and develop his potentials.

Paco really is a sweet dog and Antonio loves him to death! I have no experience with a deaf dog and we can always use a little outside help.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 11:46 am
Plate licker...
http://mlkshk.com/r/HD0L
0 Replies

space007

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 05:01 am
@CalamityJane,
Sorry to hear what you lost, wish you have a happy time in the future.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 09:42 am
@space007,
Thank you! We lost Max in 2009 and have since found Lilly from the shelter (on my avatar).
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 10:22 am
http://mlkshk.com/r/HJ76
I warned you not to mess with me!
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:46 pm
@Irishk,
http://cdn3.spiegel.de/images/image-375716-galleryV9-nvxr.jpg
http://www.spiegel.de/international/bild-844124-375716.html
Quote:
A dachshund puppy takes part in the ongoing Occupy Wall Street protests in New York City's Zuccotti Park on Wednesday. The movement began in the United States in September 2011 as a protest against corporate greed, but it has since become a global phenomenon.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2012 01:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have had a big soft spot for all dachshunds, ever since Leo came into our yard, lost. Alas, he had tags, and his owner came and got him.
This one seems quite serious.
0 Replies