I Have an Interview Tomorrow!

sozobe

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:43 am
@Arella Mae,
Don't freak! Could be that he was in the middle of something and will call back to reschedule.

Benefits of freaking = zilch.

Benefits of staying calm and dealing with whatever happens = possible new job.

Nothing's guaranteed though of course. Might be good to do some stuff to get this off your mind, so you're a bit more sanguine about it.
JPB

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:49 am
@sozobe,
Sorry, AM.

It does sound like you aren't his first priority. That doesn't mean he's got a stronger candidate but it may mean that you've got some competition for the job. Or, like soz said, it may mean that he's too busy running the office by himself that he doesn't have time to hire in some help. That happens sometimes in small organizations. You need help but you don't have time to hire/train the help you need.

In the meantime, keep looking at ads, keep working with Manpower, and keep your eyes open for other opportunities. Don't let it get to the point where you're sitting home waiting for the phone to ring (heh, reminds me of teenage girls waiting for a boy to call...)

Keep your chin up and keep looking. If this job doesn't happen then the next one will.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:16 am
Hey, AM - Nobody else has said this, and I think you may already know it, but...

Pray about it, and try to leave the outcome in other hands. Might give you some peace about it, and you don't want to leave that part of the preparation out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:57 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
He was all apologetic but said he had to reschedule because they had an emergency in their Monroe office and he had to take care of it.

It is possible that the Monroe emergency really does need a lot of support from your local office.

I've been working in/around insurance for close to 3 decades now. Timelines are weird in this world. It took me close to 6 weeks to get a manager to look at something with me - that she had identified as vital/crucial/time sensitive.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 12:00 pm
You all are such a big help to me. Your advice has really helped me not get all freaked out about this. I really do appreciate all the wise advice. I am putting in resumes everyday and will continue to look for work. Snood, you are right, I need to put it in God's hands and get out of His way.
0 Replies

blackwidow

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 02:15 pm
@Arella Mae,
Dont worry things do crop up sometimes a rethink is needed somtimes other people stick their nose in some times plan and time tables go astray, As I have intervewed many people here are some thoughts, I would try to reign in your excitement just a little you dont want to come over "gushy" the mature has far more benifits than drawbacks, experiance, work ethic, you have foumd out who you are and where you are going, you dont fool around as much as a kid, you are not going to get pregnant, not pc I know but it will have crossed their mind esspessially if its a man doing the interviwing I would empoly the mature person over the kid any day if they are equally matched ... So Arella Mae good luck you will knock them dead, I know my biggest draw back to my business here in UK is finding good staff so again dont worry you will be great
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:32 pm
@blackwidow,
That is so kind of you black widow. Thank you. I am still excited about this job because I still have that feeling it is mine but you are right. I definitely don't need to be gushy! Yuck! A 53 year old woman gushy!

I haven't heard from him yet but I am sure that I will. Still putting in resumes!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 11:04 pm
If y'all remember, I got laid off from this job referenced in this thread in February this year.

Well, I have been looking for a job since! I think I got one. I signed up with Manpower and they had been working with me to find something. Lo and behold, a position came up in their own office and I was told I was the first person they thought of. The interview was a breeze because Ashley, the supervisor, already knew my history, professional and some personal too.

Today was bosses' day so Shonda was taking Ashley out for lunch. But, someone had to man the office to pass out checks, do the Friday cleaning and catching up. So, they called me and asked if I would do it. I said sure.

Let me tell you, when they walked into the office at 3:30 they were shocked. I had that place shining like a new dime. Dusted the tops of pics, cleaned any glass, etc., under the microwave, etc. Shonda, the girl who used to have the job I am hoping for told me she was very impressed. They had also left me stuff to file and fax.

I really want this job! It's a nice office right here in town and Ashley and Shonda are very nice young women and we seem to hit it off pretty well.
Please keep positive thoughts about me getting this job. Ashley still has one more person to interview but I'm really hoping I made good advantage of working there today to make a real impression.
jespah

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 07:45 am
@Arella Mae,
Fingers crossed!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2009 03:32 pm
Thanx Jespah! Oh, about the original interview this thread was about. When I worked in the office Friday I asked Ashley about it. She said she had heard that the business was closing down. She rarely could get Bryan to call her back and when he did he'd ask Ashley if she stopped sending applicants to him so it seems he wasn't being honest with Ashley. He never did call me back. I did call him about a week later and asked about rescheduling the interview. He had told me he would be calling me soon. You guessed it, no call as of yet.

So, looks like it's best I didn't get that job after all so no need for even an interview. Things happen for a reason and often for the best. I really want to work with Ashley and Shonda. I think it would be really rewarding working at a job that actually helps other people and people that are willing to work.
Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Oct, 2009 10:55 am
@Arella Mae,
awesome - you just never know how things will turn out!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:35 pm
I'm really bummed. I haven't heard from Ashley about the job with Manpower, the office I worked in last Friday. No phone call, no email, nothing. She said she would call me either way and she was going to be making her decision within a couple of days but it's been a week and two days. So, I don't know what the heck is going on.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 09:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
Sadly it is now extremely common for business to claim that they will contact you, but never doing it unless you happen to be the one they want. You'd think these people would feel bad about their dishonesty. Apparently they do not.

If they tell you they will contact you wait a bit, and then contact them. Unless they really have not decided yet, which is rare, they will then tell you that you were not picked, and you can stop hoping.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 09:37 am
@hawkeye10,
I would have thought since Manpower is a business that actually finds jobs for people that Ashley would have already contacted me. So, I don't know what to think. Up until this point, she has kept in contact with me since I signed up with them. It kind of gives me pause because I don't want to be working in an office that gives people the runaround. I am trying not to jump the gun here and give her the benefit of a doubt. Something may have happend and I don't know when she was interviewing others. I assumed it was going to be soon since I was told they'd be making their decision within a couple of days.

I did just have a thought though, maybe she had someone else come in on Friday and try them out like she did me? Fridays all they basically do is catch up work, clean the office and hand out checks. So, maybe that is what happened. Ashley and Shonda did not strike me as the type that would just blow someone off. I think I'll just wait and if I don't hear from her by Friday I will give her a call.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:39 pm
I have an update! I finally emailed Ashley and asked what was going on. She said she had hired someone with previous staffing experience but would keep me in mind. So, I didn't get that job but that's okay.

They called me today and are sending me on a job that is going to last about a month. It pays pretty good and basically all I have to do is answer the phone and be the customer's first point of contact.

This came at a great time since Christmas is right around the corner. I start at 8am so I'd better get to bed!
msolga

Reply Wed 9 Dec, 2009 10:50 pm
@Arella Mae,
Pleased for you, Arella. Such excellent timing, too! Smile
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2009 06:21 pm
@msolga,
Thank you, msolga. This is probably the easiest job I have ever had. All I have to do is a bit of filing and answer the phone when the others are either on the phone or out of the office and take messages. That's it!

The people were really nice and it is a very laid back atmosphere. I think I'll like it. Oh, the boss told me to bring a good book to read because I wouldn't be that busy. I feel kind of guilty getting paid for doing virtually nothing.
0 Replies