A question for Californians near the Mexican Border

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:46 pm
Hello maybe you may be able to help me. In the early eighties, I used to drive to Mexico to party because I was under twenty one. I would pick up my girlfriend from Cal State San Diego and meet up with many party people from California. In the nineties because I was already of legal age I still went every once in a while. On the way back to California from Mexico the US border patrol are very lax. They usually just ask two questions.
1. Citizenship?
2. Did you bring anything from Mexico?

If you answer US on question no. 1 they do not ask for Identification.
If you answer no on question no. 2, you are cleared to proceed.

Is it still the same way today or has security been tightened?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,312 • Replies: 21
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:42 pm
Security has been tightened significantly by the
Customs and Border Protection, formerly the US Customs Service. On certain days agents pass dogs around the first five or so cars before the booth sniffing for contraband. Many times the agents will ask the drivers to get out of their vehicles and open their trunks or hatches.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:50 pm
I am not from California, I'm from Southern Arizona. I used to go to Mexico too, not to get drunk, but to eat at the genuine Mexican restaurants in Nogales, Sonora. That was exactly what they asked, and exactly what they did. I brought back a pair of sunglasses once, though, and they didn't seem to care. I think you're good as long as you don't bring in any drugs, or at least if you don't tell them you did. There was basically no real security - this was in Nogales circa 2002.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:00 pm
My experience is from the border bridges between El Paso, Texas and Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:02 pm
San Diego - TJ is a little more stricter. This summer was a real experience.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 11:07 pm
Care to elaborate, husker?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:23 am
Hmm, I know people who cross the border all the time to party in Mexico.

I plan to do it shortly, I'll let you know how it goes.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 07:32 pm
Craven please tell me in detail when you go to TJ.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 08:21 pm
I've crossed the border at TJ a bunch of times, but they were more than twenty years ago. No problemo, ever.

(Hmmm, memories of taking my new v. light 10 speed bike bungeed to the back of my red fiat spyder convertible, the one with the transmission fluid leak...)
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:16 pm
Husker, we are all waiting for you to elaborate.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 09:17 pm
Entering Mexico you are only faced with a turnstyle. Entering the Us you are asked for identification and they ask what you went to Mexico for.

I just got back, it was very uneventful.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:01 pm
What DID you go there for?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:07 pm
To be able to smoke and drink at the same time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:09 pm
oh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:10 pm
( ()
(()
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 10:21 pm
Ricardo_Tizon wrote:
Husker, we are all waiting for you to elaborate.

oops!
Well we had 21 teens and adults (US Citizens) on our yellow school bus. On re-entry we were required to depart and unload the bus, the borderpatrol and the national guard argued about how to handle us, in the mean time we has some people\teens in the US and some in Mexico, a few of the younger ones we terrified at the loss of control the leaders and what might happen to them as they were separated from us. I can understand protecting the border . We had clearly 21 people who were clearly "causcian" very white skinned - 8 crying their eyes out, disorganization and arguments of authority between two authorities at the border at our expense.

We had paperwork that was clearing 100% in order that was not looked at all or even checked. With 12 youth that are minors you do not risk not having the correct paperwork, forms, and waviers. This was my 5th trip into the baja since 98 and the worst horrible treatment ever. Remember I said I understand protecting our borders - but please.

Now on the other hand - I do feel as americans we feel some privilege as world citizens that our crap don't stink, not the case for my group.
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 04:00 am
Thanks Husker,

I am planning to return to the US but this time I'm bringing a wife. I do not want to wait the 6 months processing time when you marry a foreign national so I might just take her backdoor via Mexico, then process her legalization in Los Angeles. My second option was via Vancouver, Canada then drive down all the way to Los Angeles.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 10:10 am
Ricardo,

It might not be as easy as it was in the past.
0 Replies

grottomaster

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 03:36 pm
I went to TJ one time.
I was smashed when I crossed into Mexico and I was smashed when I came back across.
I can't recall exactly what the border cat said but I do remember that he looked very digusted at me. I was trying to show him a pack of cigarettes I had bought and my buddy, the driver, was trying to get me to shut up. We were waved on after a moment.
I'll bet that wouldn't happen now.
0 Replies

bartjjj

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 03:51 am
I am planning to go to Mexico also, what documents should I bring with me?
0 Replies