7
   

INTERESTING TV: WHAT IF IT GOES FRANKENSTEIN?

 
 
parados
 
  1  
Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 06:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
In other words, how do we respond if Obama decides
to declare a moratorium on democracy since the Demos are already in control?
What do we do if he or a subsequent president finds a clever excuse to stop elections??

So.. you have guns to keep the government from turning against you but you don't know what to do with your guns when the time comes?

For some reason, I'm not surprised about that David.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:07 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
In other words, how do we respond if Obama decides
to declare a moratorium on democracy since the Demos are already in control?
What do we do if he or a subsequent president finds a clever excuse to stop elections??

So.. you have guns to keep the government from turning against you
but you don't know what to do with your guns when the time comes?

For some reason, I'm not surprised about that David.

OK, I 'll explain it to u so that u can understand:
the original theory was that all of the citizens woud be well armed
and keep their employee, the government, in line.

However, since then massive firepower of a conventional nature
has been developed, in addition to nukes;
(to say nothing of advanced surveillance technologies)
therefore, that calls into question the viability of the original idea.

I bet that u r probably able to understand that.





David
parados
 
  2  
Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 07:50 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So you are admitting that the main reason you claim to need a gun is BS?

Gosh.. who would have thunk you would admit as much.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:09 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

So you are admitting that the main reason you claim to need a gun is BS?

Gosh.. who would have thunk you would admit as much.
Keeping government in line was not n is not the MAIN REASON, as u choose to put it.
As a practical matter, the predominant reason to possess defensive emergency equipment
is protection from predatory criminals and animals. When only a few seconds can make the difference
between life n death, the police can be only a few minutes away.


Its also good for peace of mind; serenity.
I felt a little ill-at-ease until I got my first gun.
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I felt a little ill-at-ease until I got my first gun.


Why do you think you felt that? Is your fear justified?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 10:30 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I felt a little ill-at-ease until I got my first gun.


Why do you think you felt that? Is your fear justified?

It was not. I lived in a good neighborhood.
In the years that I resided there, I never saw the police arrive
with lights nor sirens. There were no complaints of crime.

I was 8 years of age, newly arrived in Arizona.
I was home alone most of the time.
My family owned some stores, to whose administration thay attended.
I used to wonder " How the hell can I defend this place ? "
if burglars ever arrived. I had visions of using a kitchen knife,
in desperation, if that ever became necessary. My defenses felt inadequate.

As I said, the objective environing facts did not justify my emotional discomfort.

No factual defensive emergency actually arose until several decades later in New York.





`
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
No factual defensive emergency actually arose until several decades later in New York.


Fast forward several decades and the story now is...
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:59 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
No factual defensive emergency actually arose until several decades later in New York.


Fast forward several decades and the story now is...

Now, its calm n peaceful.
farmerman
 
  2  
Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
you dont wanna share the story of how you needed a gun?

Did you go out and select your first gun at 8? Very precocious . I was given my first gun (a 20 gage over and under) when I was 10, so I could go small game hunting. I quickly grew into a 12 gage double b arrel and then a 12 gage pump. (I still pprefer a double barrel because you should ever only need one backup shot, not 5)
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
you dont wanna share the story of how you needed a gun?

Its not THAT; I just did not understand that to be the question.
As of now, there are no threats.

Last century, while I was returning home from my girlfriend 's house,
I drove past a gas station that I 'd like to have patronized.
I was going a little too fast, and did not want to turn in there
on 2 wheels. The following weekend, I was going home
from my girlfriend 's house again, around 12m. or 1 AM.
I was going slower, so as to get to the correct gas station this time.
My attention was directed to about 2:00 -- forward n to my right.
I was alone on a 2 lane road, one way street;
very low lighting conditions -- not much moonlight.

Subsequently, I saw an old car (judging from its worn paint job)
behind me on my rear bumper. Oddly a little while later,
in my rear vu mirror, I saw that it was still there, almost kissing my ass.
I figured: maybe waiting for a right turn ?

I was still looking for that gas station, forward n to my right,
when I heard a pop to my left and I noticed a bullethole manifest
in my left, driver 's door window, about 3" forward of my head.
( I was pretty sure that was not there b4. )
At that moment, I saw the old car on my left, exactly abreast of me.
It remainded there for a few seconds. It woud be almost a
borderline exageration to say that I even saw silhouettes in that car; dark.
I withdrew my 2 inch, stainless steel mirror Taurus Model 445 .44 revolver.
Before I was able to line up a defensive shot, I heard an outcry
from the car, whereupon it screached out forward, swiftly departing hence.
I guess thay had somewhere else to go.

By an interesting co-incidence, about maybe 30 years earlier,
I had been counselled in choice of ordnance by a fellow who
advised in favor of using bright reflective metal for its
in terrorem effects, especially at night. I accepted his advice.




farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Did you go out and select your first gun at 8? Very precocious .

No. Guns were very abundant in my neighborhood in Arizona; (ergo, we had no crime at all, that I ever heard about).
Some kids were playing poker. One of the kids was low on cash.
To remain in the game, he added a used 2" Smith & Wesson Model 36 revolver to his bet, to match a raise.
I won the pot.
That was the first gun of my collection. (I was newly arrived from NY, where I was armed only with knives.)
There were commonly a lot of scraps of leather lying around.
I hand stitched some holsters that I used to carry it around everywhere.

Several years later, I was discomfited to learn that the stopping power
of a .38 was not what I had assumed it be, without perfect shot placement.
Accordingly, I upgraded to a .44 special loaded with hollowpointed slugs.
So far as I am aware, that maximizes stopping power
(from the perspective of convenient use of handguns).

I disfavor .44 magnum: the extra power is counterproductive.
Stopping power is not well served by overpenetration of the target.
Tho I own a .44 magnum Ruger SuperBlackhawk, I don 't carry
that big thing around, nor keep it ready for use for home defense.
If I were to do so, I 'd load it only with .44 special rounds.






farmerman wrote:
Quote:

I was given my first gun (a 20 gage over and under) when I was 10,
so I could go small game hunting. I quickly grew into a 12 gage
double barrel and then a 12 gage pump.
(I still pprefer a double barrel because you should ever only need one backup shot, not 5)

I have used shotguns on seldom occasions,
but by personal disposition, I am not a shotgun person.
Thay have their own good functional purposes & obvious advantages.
I don 't own any.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Drumsticks - Discussion by H2O MAN
nobody respects an oath breaker - Discussion by gungasnake
Marksmanship - Discussion by H2O MAN
Kids and Guns by the Numbers - Discussion by jcboy
CO gun-grabbers go down in flames in recall - Discussion by gungasnake
Personal Defense Weapons (PDW) - Discussion by H2O MAN
Self defense with a gun - Discussion by H2O MAN
It's a sellers market - Discussion by H2O MAN
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/21/2020 at 10:47:12