If you've have some lemons, time to make limoncello

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 06:30 pm
Or maybe not, it might be too hot in my house, but I'm trying it.

I heard about it from friends who had tried limoncello while in Sorrento, or some such swell italian place. I also heard about it from Danny diVito:

I finally bought a small fancy glass bottle (I do mean small) at a discount place called Grocery Outlet about five years ago, fell in love, saved the jar. (I also vaguely remember some wonderful lemon liquer treat from Mexico, but that was longer ago.)

There are many recipes for how to make your own limoncello.

Today was the day, since I have some vodka and lemons on hand.

Here's the relatively easy recipe I'm fooling with (I've saved others, but this is about my speed):

http://patty.vox.com/library/post/homemade-limoncello-when-life-gives-you-lemons.html

I assume this is an excruciating first try on my part. While I did buy a new 'peeler' just for this event, I don't quite get how you can excise all pith from the peel. I expect my limoncello to come out bitter, just like my candied orange peel (a different thing from that stuff in the store, don't barf until you try it). I like that somewhat bitter, and I might like bitter limoncello too. I also admit to not having enough lemons and adding the peel of one orange. This is probably the kiss of death, or at least of orangeade.

Anyone else on a2k like limoncello?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,126 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Ha, when I listened to that after posting, it was exceptionally garbled. But I didn't have any limoncello...
anyway, it's an after dinner digestivo, not something to chug a lug.
And sorry re the garbled link.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:28 pm
its last years big drink. Served on rocks with zest and some sugar, I forget what it was called but it did have a nice smell until your dinner guests got all drunked up, then all you smelled on them was acetaldehyde and ketones.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:34 pm
@farmerman,
Quite a lot to expect from one small liquer glass, ice cold if preferred.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:35 pm
Yes, I like it. I know that there are several different kinds out there, some better than others. The Italian ones are the best. We keep our bottle in the freezer.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 11:17 pm
@sullyfish6,
Yes, I take it the freezer is the place..

On my lemon peels and vodka (absolutely the least best as ascribed in recipes), we are still on day one, moving to day two.
0 Replies