Fla. governor’s office praises Nazi film

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 01:08 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32134641/ns/us_news-life/
U.S. Senate hopeful Crist blames ‘inexcusable mistake by staff’ for letter
updated 3:03 a.m. ET July 25, 2009

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Despite the content of a letter bearing his signature, Gov. Charlie Crist does not want to share an anti-Semitic movie with all Floridians.

Crist's office sent a letter thanking John Ubele for providing the governor with a copy of the film "Jud Suss." The film is recognized as one of history's most incendiary.

The brief thank-you note was dated June 30 and bore the governor's automated signature. It praised the Pasco County resident's thoughtfulness and generosity and said Crist would be delighted to share the DVD with the people of Florida.

"I was surprised considering the stigma that has been associated with the film," Ubele said Friday in an exchange of e-mails with The Associated Press. "I was even more surprised when I looked at the signature because from what I can tell it looks real."

The signature, however, was made by a machine and Crist never saw the letter.

Crist later called it "an inexcusable mistake by staff in my office," in a letter released just before 9 p.m. that was addressed to Ubele's work address in St. Petersburg.

"Neither I or anyone in this administration agree with or condone the anti-Semitic content of this DVD," Crist wrote in a second letter that also carried his automated signature.

Banned
The 1940 film was produced by the Nazi propaganda arm and was a great success in Germany and abroad, although it was banned in Sweden in 1941 and has never been shown in that country.

Within the Third Reich, "Jud Suss" was the No. 1 film of the 1939-1940 season when it was seen by more than 20 million people. Anti-Jewish violence was reported after its projection in Marseille, France.

Ubele, who ran unsuccessfully for the state Legislature, is the operations manager of a group called the Nationalist Coalition that promotes "white activism."

On its Web site, the organization says it is working to "do whatever is necessary to achieve white living space a to keep it White."

Ubele did not immediately respond to a follow-up e-mail seeking comment on Crist's request to remove any references to the letter from any of his Web sites.

Crist, a Republican who was elected governor in 2006, is passing up a re-election bid to seek the GOP nomination for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated next year by Republican U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez, who is retiring after one term.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,369 • Replies: 4
No top replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2009 02:17 pm
@djjd62,
LOL our gay but very in the closet newly married governor had a staff error and if he had been a Democrat, FOX would had a few hours of programing on the subjects on both the error and the fact that he is in the closet.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 12:30 am
I once read of a King who had a habit of signing anything put in front of him. One day he signed his own execution orders. This reminds me of that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 01:48 am
@djjd62,
Good grief.

Clearly the thing was handled as the office procedure set out for non-solicited stuff from the public.

I truly doubt staff have time to make utterly sure that all such items the form-letter goes out in relation to is utterly non-controversial.

They're probably all very young at that level, and the chances of one of them having heard of that film would be hundreds to one, I would think.

Poor little things will likely now be made to google anything they know nothing about.

A Governor clearly cannot spend his/her day perusing every damn thing that comes into the office.

Form letters are standard practice.

Tempest in thimble.

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 05:58 am
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/jul/26/na-crists-thank-you-note-a-mistake/news-metro/

Quote:
Despite the content of a letter bearing his signature, Gov. Charlie Crist does not want to share an anti-Semitic movie with all Floridians.

Crist's office sent a letter thanking John Ubele for providing the governor with a copy of the film "Jud Suss." The film is recognized as one of history's most incendiary.

The brief thank-you note was dated June 30 and bore the governor's automated signature. It praised the Pasco County resident's thoughtfulness and generosity and said Crist would be delighted to share the DVD with the people of Florida. The signature, however, was made by a machine, and Crist never saw the letter.

In a second letter, released just before 9 p.m. Friday and addressed to Ubele's work address in St. Petersburg, Crist called the earlier communication "an inexcusable mistake by staff in my office," .

"Neither I or anyone in this administration agree with or condone the anti-Semitic content of this DVD," Crist wrote in the letter, which also carried his automated signature.
0 Replies