Funniest TV shows and films that you know.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:55 pm
@djjd62,
The Wodehouse set in the U.S. didn't work as well for me. Odd, as he lived in the U.S. for most of his life. Some of the stories set in the U.S. were fine, but I didn't think they translated very well.

I'd rather watch Mapp and Lucia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088561/
Quote:
it is simply a wonderful comedy of manners, wonderfully acted and beautifully presented. The principles are all actors of great experience and charisma, working with almost infallible material. If you want slapstick or alternative humour, this is not the place for you! If you love watching a comedy where it is the actors who make the script brilliantly funny, rather than simply being given punchlines to deliver, then you should be in seventh heaven.

than most of the Wodehouse stuff. Wodehouse, I really need to read.

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:58 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not fond of the Lucia books (got bored really quickly)...are you talking of DVDs here?

I can imagine it being more interesting to me when in dramatic form.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:00 pm
@dlowan,
Yup - you can get them through Amazon here. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them through a local public library where you are (inter-library loan).

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:04 pm
@ehBeth,
(I just poked around - there are some really good dvd's in the Australian public library system - tried 3 cities - I'd certainly be able to find some things to watch there)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:09 pm
Back to comedy concerts.

Louis Black did two (that I know of). They both made me laugh out loud.

In the book department, David Sedaris makes me laugh out loud. I think it was the Santaland Diaries that had me howling. I could be wrong.

The problem with recommending humor, deb, is that senses of humor are extraordinarily different. What makes me laugh might be a giant ho-hum for you.

But undaunted, I'll keep trying to think up stuff for you.
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:19 am
@ehBeth,
geberally, American DVDs won't work here...but the library thing is a wondrful idea!!!!

Thank you!
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:20 am
@Roberta,
Thanks Boida.

I know re the humour differences......that's why I am asking folk to give a bit of a description...but I can always google, too.

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 01:44 am
@dlowan,
I think thats gerbily.
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 03:19 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

I think thats gerbily.

Lol!!!

I have had three different keyboards in the last 3 weeks....the original one I poured a cup of coffee into, the snazzy ergonomic one I replaced it with, and the wireless one that came with my new computer.

My muscle memory is confoozled as hell...and the wireless keyboard does some weird stuff....like refusing to do quote marks unless you hit twice, when it gives you two, or sometimes a goddam UMLAUT instead.

So....my typing is worserer than usual.
djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:39 am
@Roberta,
love Lewis Black
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:06 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
My muscle memory is confoozled as hell...and the wireless keyboard does some weird stuff....like refusing to do quote marks unless you hit twice, when it gives you two, or sometimes a goddam UMLAUT instead.

So....my typing is worserer than usual.

Check your language settings in Windows. When i set the keyboard for French, i get what you are referring to as an umlaut by striking a key, after which it places an "umlaut" over the next letter i type. It seems to me that that must be a product of a language setting. Put you mouse cursor over the "taskbar" at the bottom of the screen, and right click. At the top of the menu that produces you will see toolbars, so check to see if the language toolbar is selected. After that, i disremember what to do, but if you screw around with it, i'm sure that in no time at all you can make your keyboard worse than useless.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:25 am
from the right click menu hover over toolbars and click language bar.
on the lower tool bar will now appear EN and a ? click EN and select
English (Australia mate).
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:13 am
I was not aware that English is spoken in Oztralia . . . how can one tell?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:10 am
If you can understand Quebec's version of French -- Têtes à Claques
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:20 pm
@dadpad,
Erm....I think my keyboard speaks English...I just think a couple of things (including my muscle memory with it) don't work 100%...
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:16 pm
@dlowan,
What DP is talking about is that your keyboard can be "programmed" to produce other languages which use the Roman alphabet. Since you are saying that the key for quote marks produces an umlaut, i would suggest the keyboard is set up right now for German.
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 07:55 pm
@Setanta,
Yeah...I know...but it doesn't RELIABLY produce umlauts.

I just think it's wacky.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 10:23 pm
You should probably check out your language bar settings . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:53 pm
@dadpad,

Oh wait....
dadpad wrote:

from the right click menu hover over toolbars and click language bar.
on the lower tool bar will now appear EN and a ? click EN and select
English (Australia mate).

Nothing happens at all when I click on language bar...certainly no EN?

Nix.

Oh wait.

I have no choice for English....I have US or US International.

It is set to US International.

Oh...if I click settings it tells me that it IS set on EN (Australian) US International.

So it's set up by default as you suggest.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:35 am
@dlowan,
I think the "International" part is what's screwing things up. (Regional settings/input language "English (Australia)" are separate from the keyboard layout "United States-International".)

How To Use the United States-International Keyboard Layout in Windows XP

What OS are you using? We can walk you through changing it.