Funniest TV shows and films that you know.

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I haven't seen it in a few years but The Office was pretty funny, and I heard the UK version was even better.

I LOVE the UK Office....it'd be way too bleak for me right now, but I have bought one of the series.

I think I have seen a bit of the US one, and found it funny, too.......but I think Office Space is a film, isn't it?

Or were you commenting quite separately from that?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:30 am
@dlowan,
Ernie Kovacs was a comedian who broke through many styles in the late 50's. (He was like George Burns who came out of character and talked to the audience as a sotte voce). However Kovacs did so much that would later be copied by the Britcomedies and even the Pythons. .

The SEINFELD CHRONICLES is actually the first year of SEinfeld. Most sources dont carry them.
If you dont have an arrangement with Netflix, cant you jsut enter by the internet and use their download option?

My wife does all the Netflix queing for us (we have the 2 movies -at-a-time plan) and it gives us like 4 movies a week and shes been going through their catalog and happily making our entertainment schedules. (WE are such hicks ).

PS, "The MAn WHO Sued GOD" stars Billy Connolly. He is the master at overstatement and the use of the high profanity of incredulousness.
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:35 am
@farmerman,
Its 3:30 AM here and Im not even slightly sleepy. Damn Im gonna be a mess in the morning. I was giving a talk to some clients this evening and IO get really wired up and it takes forever to come down.
So here I am talking to Australia instead of getting me beauty rest.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:53 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert "The Gods must be crazy" is that the one where a bottle fell out of the sky into an isolated society that did not know anyone existed outside of their group? If so, funny, funny movie.
Sglass

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:08 am
@Sglass,
Actually, my favorite is "The King of Hearts" starring Alan Bates. It's a quirky antiwar film filled with endearing humor and pathos. Made in 1966, it is an absolute classic. Get it, you won't regret it.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:18 am
@farmerman,
Thank you.

I'll check Netflix...but we can use iTunes and Bigpond here (at least) for the same thing.

I kind of almost know Seinfeld off by heart.....but it might be time to re-visit. It is an all time favourite of mine.

Billy Connolly is almost a god to me.

I love the humanity, daring and mania of his comedy. I will never forget him talking about his sexual abuse as a kid on stage...and making humour from it, without in any way minimising its horror.

(It's kind of like the lunch table, I guess, at any place dealing with sexually abused kids.)

I would so love to sit down and get pissed with him. He's a real Mensch.

(He comes here a lot...his wife is from Oz...a fabulous comedian in her past, now a psychologist...though I heard they had broken up? Not sure if it is true. I hope not. : ( )

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:20 am
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Actually, my favorite is "The King of Hearts" starring Alan Bates. It's a quirky antiwar film filled with endearing humor and pathos. Made in 1966, it is an absolute classic. Get it, you won't regret it.

Cool, thanks, I'll look it up.

MORE HUMOUR PLEASE, folks.

It's fine to do lit crit on your favourites and all, and get all philosophical, and digress and such.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 02:39 am
What about comedy concerts like George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Richard Jeni.

Also, there's always Monty Python (the TV show).

The Marx Brothers (Duck Soup or a Night at the Opera).

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:01 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

What about comedy concerts like George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Richard Jeni.

Also, there's always Monty Python (the TV show).

The Marx Brothers (Duck Soup or a Night at the Opera).

The first is an idea....IF I can get them...some we can.

I know Monty Python pretty much by heart.

The Marx Brothers is interesting. I have begun to see the films, got bored and left. (They used to be replayed endlessly on TV when I was a kid)

But...they are such classics...this may be the time to stick with them and really try to appreciate them.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:41 am
Go and get the movie "Its a mad,mad,mad world"
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:41 am
@dlowan,
Deb, you could always watch Fawlty Towers for the 55th time & laugh yourself silly ... again! Works a treat with me, every single time. My god that was a brilliant comedy!
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:55 am
I don't know what your taste in OZ comedy is, but I loved this one! Laughed myself silly every week. But perhaps you have to be an Oz public school teacher (or student?) to fully appreciate it? It is very clever, spot on!:

Quote:
Summer Heights High is a Logie Award-winning[1] Australian television mockumentary series written by and starring Chris Lilley. It is a parody of high school life epitomised by its three protagonists: effeminate and megalomaniac "Director of Performing Arts" Mr G; self-absorbed, privileged teenager Ja'mie King; and disobedient, vulgar Tongan student Jonah Takalua. It lampoons Australian high school life and many aspects of the human condition and is filmed in a documentary style, with non-actors playing supporting characters. .......

.....Summer Heights High was a massive ratings success for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, and was met with mostly positive critical reaction.[3] The series debuted on 5 September 2007 and the eight-part series ended on 24 October 2007. On 26 March 2008, it was announced that the show had been sold for international distribution to BBC Three in the United Kingdom and HBO in the United States and Canada.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Heights_High

Summer Heights High:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3759444992/tt0934320
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:03 am
@msolga,
so true about fawlty towers, i've seen them all so many times and they still make me laugh
from tv
the black adder series
the league of gentlemen (british oddity about a very dysfunctional village, dark humour)

films
raising arizona
office space (i've been told i have the right to listen to my radio at a reasonable volume)
stripes (1980's bill murray, john candy the first 3/4 are really great, the last bit is a little weak)
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:04 am
@msolga,
i so want to see this show, i've read alot of good things about it
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
SEVEN HEADS IN A DUFFLE BAG

Shocked , you mean somebody else saw this movie, a great dark comedy

another interesting michael keaton comedy is The Dream Team
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:15 am
@djjd62,
If you enjoy & relate to things Australian, djjd, you'd enjoy it. Chris Lilley, who produced the show & also played the 3 main leads is quite brilliant! To anyone familiar with Oz public schools, the material & the characters ring utterly true ... in a quite outrageous & hilarious way. The show was a huge hit here. Students who NEVER watch the ABC were tuning into Auntie every week in huge numbers. As were their teachers. A very strange state of affairs!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:19 am
@msolga,
Flowery Twats? Too tense for me right now!!!!!! Leaves me wound up like a rubber band!
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:21 am
@dlowan,
Never mind. Something a bit gentler, a bit less hysterical is required, then?
farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:36 am
@djjd62,
BLAAACK ADER _YESSSS. I can never get over that Black adder is the same guy that plays Mr Bean. (Rowan ATkinson at his worst is Mr Bean)

The best of the Marx Brothers is "Night at the Opera".

Theres also a short by Laurel and HArdy where they are Christmas tree salesmen and stop at this house and all hell breaks loose.
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:36 am
@msolga,
Then maybe this, Deb?:

http://www.abc.net.au/seachange/homeflsh.htm

I still think SeaChange has some of the best scripts, casting, etc, etc, of any Oz TV series, ever. If you haven't seen it for yonks,it might be worth another look. I recently lent my DVD copy of the entire series to a friend (who'd seen it before, on television) & she thoroughly enjoyed it. Like me, she missed so much the first time around. Anyway, it's a damn sight more soothing that Uncle Basil & co!