Funniest TV shows and films that you know.

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:28 am
So many of the ones I thought of have already been noted.

Have you seen "The Princess Bride"? It's nice for silly escapism. Always makes me laugh.

I saw "The History of the World Part One" recently and while I don't know if I'd *recommend* it per se -- some is great, some ain't -- it reminded me of how much I like Mel Brooks. I think "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstein" were already mentioned. I just went looking for others and found this:

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/laughs.aspx

(It's "A Fish CALLED Wanda" not "A Fish NAMED Wanda" btw. Loved it.)

Another movie I enjoyed recently (that I also mentioned recently) was "Holes." It's for kids but has some amazing comic performances by Jon Voigt and Sigourney Weaver, and a supremely satisfying plot. Not primarily a comedy but good escapism. I had very low expectations when I started watching it and it may have benefited from that, might not stand up to high expectations, I'm not sure. But I enjoyed it.
George

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 07:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
BLAAACK ADER _YESSSS. I can never get over that Black adder is the same guy that plays Mr Bean. (Rowan ATkinson at his worst is Mr Bean)

I can't get over that the Hugh Laurie in the Blackadder series is the guy on "House".
George

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:05 am
There was an extremely quirky TV show called "Pushing Daisies" I liked.
Characters, costumes, sets, and situations all worked together.

I liked the original "Bedazzled" as well. Peter Cook & Dudley Moore.
(Raquel Welch as "Lust" didn't hurt my opinion of it, either.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:07 am
@msolga,
You know, a friend suggested Sea Change as a great option a few weeks ago, and I have been renting it. I agree...it's perfect.

The bummer is I can't get the series in order.

I have seen the first half of series 1, the first part of series 2, and now have the complete series 3 here at home!
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:08 am
@mysteryman,
Lord...I think I saw that as a little kid.

Can't recall it...care to say a bit about it?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:12 am
@msolga,
I have heard about Summer Heights (trying to think of the name just last week.)

I have to work a lot with the school system, so Imight know enough to really enjoy it.

Great suggestion.

It's got some warmth for its cgaracters, has it? Eg Frontline and Hollowmen are too negative for me right now.....nothing decent about ANYONE (except Alison Whyte in Frontline)

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:15 am
@dlowan,
Wanna put off watching it & I'll lend you the entire series? (My friend should be finished it by now, I think.) But be warned: you may not leave your couch for weeks! It is highly addictive! Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:17 am
@djjd62,
I LOVE Black Adder....more from the Elizabethan one on. I have the scripts and the DVDs of the complete series. !!!! Such wit!

I saw bits of League of Gentlemen...not quite my thing.

Loved Raising Arizona...but seen it a few times.

Office Space seems to be a definite!

I remember Stripes. We went to see it in a heatwave for the air-conditioning in the cinema!!! Then it wasn't working!

I like Bill Murray...interesting to see him move into more serious roles lately.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:18 am
Just thought of a totally harmless, but a lots of silly fun movie, Deb. There's Something About Mary. Nothing remotely high brow, but I recall laughing a lot as I watched it.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:18 am
@msolga,
COOOOOOOL!
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:19 am
@msolga,
I liked "Mary".

It was spotty...but I even loved the semen hair gel and the goddam dog.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:22 am
@sozobe,
Thank you for the Mel Brooks url.

Vot a genius.

I think of the original The Producers, and stuff like the Black stereotypes that were satirised in Blazing Saddles (Where the white women at?) And Gene Wilder in that was wonderful. And yes, I loved the fart scene!!!!

I keep making references to Eegor and Frankensteen and Frau Blucher at work...but NOBODY gets it. 'Tis sad.

I don't think I could do Princess bride....but I'll look up Holes. I really respect Weaver and Voigt.
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:23 am
@dlowan,
I'll give her a ring. (& I'll have to get your address - AGAIN! Jeez I'm hopeless!)
It'd be also really good to watch at your own pace, from A to Z, with absolutely no pressure to return it by any due date. Oh you'll love this! A SeaChange marathon! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:23 am
@dlowan,
The dog!!!! Laughing
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:26 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I'll give her a ring. (& I'll have to get your address - AGAIN! Jeez I'm hopeless!)
It'd be also really good to watch at your own pace, from A to Z, with absolutely no pressure to return it by any due date. Oh you'll love this! A SeaChange marathon! Very Happy

Oh...did you mean Sea Change? That's ok, I am accessing that fine. I thought you meant you had all of Summer High!
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:27 am
@dlowan,
If you'd prefer that, I happen have it, too!
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:28 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

The dog!!!! Laughing

Remember the goddam dog in Midnight Cowboy? The woman he ended up paying, not hustling, and her awful yappy colour co-ordinated dog?
msolga

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:29 am
@dlowan,
Very vaguely. A long, long, long time ago, Midnight CowBoy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:32 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

If you'd prefer that, I happen have it, too!

You're kidding!!!!

I'd refund the postage.

boomerang

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:34 am
I might just have zombies on the brain (recently picked up "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies") but I thought "Shaun of the Dead" was really funny: