Funniest TV shows and films that you know.

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 10:42 pm
I am currently very restricted in going out much, and doing lots of the normal things I enjoy, and I find it's getting me down a bit.

I was thinking that, until things get back to normal, it would be good to watch things that are really funny.

I am wondering if people have any recommendations?

Of course, everyone's taste in humour is different, so it would help if you told me a bit about your recommendation.

Eg, I am not into what I think Americans call "sophomore humour"....but I did love "Blazing saddles".

Normally (this will make sense to Australians only) I really like satire...but I am finding shows like "Hollow Men" too bleak right now. I seem to be wanting humour that has some warmth and compassion for its characters.

Hopefully, this may give everyone interested in looking at the thread some new fun!!

Any recommendations very gratefully received.

I am perfectly happy with subtitles, so non-English speaking stuff is fine.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 31 • Views: 15,669 • Replies: 148
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 10:51 pm
@dlowan,
I gave up on tv two years or so ago, but the only show I really miss would prolly fall into your sophomore category.

I think two and a half men was classically funny. (even gram likes it)

now the kid has to be too old to make it work, but anyways.

who the hell knows what makes auzzies laugh. i kinda understand dadpad, and that frightens me.

good luck.
dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 10:58 pm
@Rockhead,
I am happy to rent TV shows on DVD so, while I haven't been wildly impressed by the couple of episodes of Two and a Half Men I have seen, if you have older shows that you really liked, it's certainly worth mentioning.

Hell, I might try Two and a Half Men...nothing ventured and all.....I've not ever given it a real chance.....there's been too much else to do!!!

Currently I have just finished watching the second series of Weeds, which I ADORED.

Is there to be a third one?

We often don't get newly released to DVD TV until later than you guys
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:02 pm
@dlowan,
I haven't seen it in a few years but The Office was pretty funny, and I heard the UK version was even better.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:02 pm
@dlowan,
weeds was good.

have you seen six feet under?

(the earlier the better with 2 1/2 men, and mebbe it's a murrican thing only...)
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:03 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Hell, I might try Two and a Half Men...nothing ventured and all.....I've not ever given it a real chance.....there's been too much else to do!!!

I think your initial impression of being underwhelmed would stick. The little bits of it that I've happened to catch were nothing special and at best mildly amusing.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:36 pm
@dlowan,
Here are comedies I haven't seen you mention that you might like (more or less in order of how likely I think you'd enjoy them, the last ones are "dumb" genre comedies that I like but may not be your style).

The Gods Must Be Crazy
The Man Who Knew too Little
The Big Lebowski
Young Frankenstein
Groundhog Day
Rushmore
Being John Malkovich
Sideways
Amelie
Office Space
Joe vs. the Volcano
Napoleon Dynamite
Austin Powers
Airplane!
Kingpin
Dumb and Dumber
Robin Hood: men in tights
Super Troopers
dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:46 pm
@Rockhead,
You're psychic!!! I missed Six Feet Under when it was showing...but have ordered it from my mail delivery DVD rental company...but there is a looooooooong wait.

I can pick it up at DVD rental places......but...is it REALLY black? I like black normally, very much, but too much black right now is not quite what I want.

I know that's a very relative question.....but does it leave youkind of wanting to hide your head under a blanket?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Here are comedies I haven't seen you mention that you might like (more or less in order of how likely I think you'd enjoy them, the last ones are "dumb" genre comedies that I like but may not be your style).

The Gods Must Be Crazy
The Man Who Knew too Little
The Big Lebowski
Young Frankenstein
Groundhog Day
Rushmore
Being John Malkovich
Sideways
Amelie
Office Space
Joe vs. the Volcano
Napoleon Dynamite
Austin Powers
Airplane!
Kingpin
Dumb and Dumber
Robin Hood: men in tights
Super Troopers

I recommended Being John Malkovich to YOU!! It's one of my all-time favourite films. But...it'd be worth looking at again, just for the scene of malkovich's id if for no other reason!!!!

The ones I haven't seen that I'll definitely give a try, thank you, are these:

The Man Who Knew too Little,
Rushmore,
Amelie
Office Space

I've heard nothing about these:
Joe vs. the Volcano
Napoleon Dynamite
Airplane!
Kingpin

so I'll go look them up.

I'm thinking Office Space is one people have raved a lot about here?

Some of the early ones you mention are films I really love...like Young Frankenstein and Sideways and The Big Lebowski.

Thank you for that list.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
The Gods Must Be Crazy (I and II, II is actually funnier)
The Man Who Knew too Little (yep)
The Big Lebowski (BIG YEP)
Young Frankenstein (ehh)
Groundhog Day (sappy)
Rushmore (GOOD)
Being John Malkovich (VERY GOOD)
Sideways (ehh)
Amelie (did not see it)
Office Space (yep)
Joe vs. the Volcano (yep)
Napoleon Dynamite(ehh)
Austin Powers (see em all I II III)
Airplane! (the Ist is best)
Kingpin (didnt see it)

ADD

SEVEN HEADS IN A DUFFLE BAG
SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS (the original 1959 version)
THE MAN WHO SUED GOD
THE BANK DICK
PULP FICTION (must see through the violence to see its heart of humor)
OH BROTHER< WHERE ART THOU
THE AMREICANIZATION OF EMILY
ICE HARVEST
MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL
WAKING NED DEVINE
HIGH ANXIETY
ROBIN HOOD ,MEN IN TIGHTS
LIFE OF BRIAN
FISH NAMED WANDA
ANALYZE THAT (not ANALYZE THIS)
NIGHT SHIFT (its a Michael Keaton movie from when he was funniest)

I agree with most all of Robrts and add these few more. These are some I like to watch over and over

farmerman

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:20 am
@farmerman,
You can get the very old "ERNIE KOVACS" tv show. It was waay ahead of its time and enjoys some cult status. However, like the Three STooges, I must give my reccomensation based upon a realization that women may not like it.

You can rent The SEINFELD CHRONICLES and SEINFELD on NETFLIX (you guys have a NETFLIX outlet in OZ?). You cn download them from their puter store
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:29 am
My two favorite tv shows right now are: 30 Rock and Flight of the Conchord. I don't watch tv either but I always catch those on the flight when I go back to the US and they are FUNNY (to me anyway - I always end up laughing out loud with the earphones on).

30 Rock (which refers to 30 Rockefeller Center in NYC) is about these people who work for a huge firm (like General Electric or something) in the US and a subsidiary business for them is this tv show - sort of like Saturday Night Live.

Tina Fey created it and stars in it (she's the head writer) along with Tracy Morgan (who is the star of the vehicle) and they're two of my favorite SNL'ers). Alec Baldwin is also in it as the head executive, and then there are just all these other assorted characters. It's just funny - like one episode she starts getting the mail for the apartment below hers and when she goes to return it, he turns out to be this gorgeous doctor- so she pretends to have all the interests he has and when they go out and he comes over to her house and finds all his mail....well it's funny.

Flight of the Conchord is about two New Zealanders- Jermain and Brett- who are folk musicians and trying to make it in NYC. Their manager has come with them and he gets all happy when he makes them any sort of deal - even when one of their songs gets put into one of those cards that you open and it plays music and they end up getting a penny a card or something....there was one episode where they're experiencing racism in NYC because people think they're Australian - until they tell them they're NOT Australian - they're New Zealanders...it's pretty funny.

I also like Ali G. And I have to admit I liked Borat and I just saw Bruno and I nearly fell off my seat laughing. There were points I couldn't breathe for laughing - but I will warn you that he goes WAY over the top on this one ....it's not for everyone....the friend I was with, a heterosexual male - didn't find it nearly as funny as I did (and he's English- as Sacha Baron Cohen is) not American - so he wasn't all uptight about the making fun of Americans aspect- it was the pervasive gayness of the thing that bugged him. And I did see stuff I didn't really need to see...if you know what I mean...but I couldn't help giggling.
ButI'm not uptight about gay sex or people making fun of Americans - I'm used to it - so I thought it was funny.
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:36 am
@aidan,

Quote:
ButI'm not uptight about gay sex or people making fun of Americans - I'm used to it - so I thought it was funny

I meant that I'm used to laughing at people making fun of Americans - not gay sex.
aidan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:44 am
@aidan,
Best in Show (Christopher Guest and assorted regular crew) is another funny movie I can watch over and over.
(And that's saying something because usually once I've seen it - that's it for me- I will be buying Bruno though Laughing ).
Roberta

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:47 am
There is nothing on TV now that I consider funny.

Thinking of movies, two pop to mind: Take the Money and Run (early Woody Allen--uh oh, I'm thinking about a scene and laughing). The other is Animal House. Stoopid and goofy, but it made me laugh. I need to cogitate on TV shows. I'm sure I used to think something was funny. Maybe All in the Family.

Another movie--Babe (about the pig)--didn't make me laugh. It made me smile. Is that enough?

I'll keep thinking. I'll be back.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:54 am
@farmerman,
Cool:

SEVEN HEADS IN A DUFFLE BAG
SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS (the original 1959 version)
THE MAN WHO SUED GOD
THE BANK DICK
PULP FICTION (must see through the violence to see its heart of humor)
OH BROTHER< WHERE ART THOU
THE AMREICANIZATION OF EMILY
ICE HARVEST
MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL
WAKING NED DEVINE
HIGH ANXIETY
ROBIN HOOD ,MEN IN TIGHTS
LIFE OF BRIAN
FISH NAMED WANDA
ANALYZE THAT (not ANALYZE THIS)
NIGHT SHIFT (its a Michael Keaton movie from when he was funniest)

I love Pulp Fiction (though I think I ought not...it'd be a bit dark for me right now, though. Liked The Man who Sued God, Oh Brother, Midnight in, just watched Life of Brian again...might try Holy Grail....loved a Fish Named Wanda.

I'll have a good look at the others.

I am commenting about those I know and like to help folk get an idea of my taste.

Thanks, FP.

Hey...my new computer allows me to download visual media (finally) and I downloaded the first season of Breaking Bad. I have heard it's great...but is it really funny in parts?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 12:57 am
@farmerman,
Can you tell me more re Ernie Kovacs? I HATE The Stooges...even though Seinfeld loves them, so it hurts me to say it!!!

The Seinfeld chronicles is different from Seinfeld?

We likely cannot access netflix because we run under different copyright agreements....but stuff can be easy to get from DVD libraries (or not.)
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:00 am
@aidan,
Flight is showing here right now, and I ALWAYS miss it...so I'll go for that on DVD.

30 Rock sounds interesting...not sure if we can access it yet.

I am VERY frustrated because I can't manage cinemas yet, and cannot get to see Bruno. He did a fabulous session on a show here as part of his promo tour, so I think I am ready.

Can't wait for the DVD.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:02 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

There is nothing on TV now that I consider funny.

Thinking of movies, two pop to mind: Take the Money and Run (early Woody Allen--uh oh, I'm thinking about a scene and laughing). The other is Animal House. Stoopid and goofy, but it made me laugh. I need to cogitate on TV shows. I'm sure I used to think something was funny. Maybe All in the Family.

Another movie--Babe (about the pig)--didn't make me laugh. It made me smile. Is that enough?

I'll keep thinking. I'll be back.

I think I need to look at some back Woodies......

Animal House......couldn't look at.

Just saw Babe again!! A friend has lent me a bunch of DVDs. Smile is good.

You have more smiles/laughs, I am interested.

Old stuff is fine.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 01:04 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Best in Show (Christopher Guest and assorted regular crew) is another funny movie I can watch over and over.

Love their stuff...have watched several.
0 Replies