Funniest TV shows and films that you know.

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:05 pm
Father Guido Sarducci.
George

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:07 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Father Guido Sarducci.

YES!!!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:09 pm
YES!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 04:29 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Father Guido Sarducci.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKvRvL5r3A
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:17 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I seem to be wanting humour that has some warmth and compassion for its characters.

when I need a warm, comfy smile or laugh I look for Judi Dench - As Time Goes By or my fav

http://www.tv.com/a-fine-romance-1981/show/26733/summary.html which was a blink and you've missed it series. So gently funny.

There must have been something about 1981 for me, because one of my favourite sweet and tangy comedies came out that year as well.

Gregory's Girl. Most of the Bill Forsyth films have that kind of feeling for me.

The original version of The Producers will always be a favourite, partly because of its wonderful scenes of New York.

Crossing Delancey is kinda special. Definitely got the warmth and compassion factor working.

mmm Cold Comfort Farm's a lovely choice. Give it 2 or 3 minutes. Stephen Fry's in here as well.

My Favorite Year

I could easily do a happy run through some of Johnny Depp's films - Chocolat, Finding Neverland (not a comedy, but it has gently funny moments that are lovely), Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood ...

or Nicolas Cage

or Jack Lemmon

There are some actors whose choices I'll usually at least consider. Judi Dench first of all.

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:28 pm
@boomerang,
Hmmm...I have Shaun in my queue at my DVD library......mebbe I should boost him up the queue?

What on EARTH was P & P with zombies like?

It's being pushed a lot at bookshops here, but it just seemed so silly I haven't considered reading it.
Eva

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:30 pm
That was great, Dys!

I remember another great bit Don Novello did as Father Sarducci...a takeoff on "Mr. Coffee" coffeemakers. He was selling "Mr. Tea" machines. He demonstrated..."All you hafta do is put a teabag inna cup, like-a this...then you pour boiling water inna the top...and in a few minutes, wow! you have-a tea!"

It was classic.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for those Beth.

I'll have a good look.

I have adored Judi Dench since seeing her in a a tragic four part family thing on TV forever ago....and seeing her onstage as Viola in Twelfth Night in the late sixties/early seventies.
0 Replies

dlowan

@dyslexia,
This is a film???????????

0 Replies

dyslexia

@Eva,
Eva wrote:

That was great, Dys!

I remember another great bit Don Novello did as Father Sarducci...a takeoff on "Mr. Coffee" coffeemakers. He was selling "Mr. Tea" machines. He demonstrated..."All you hafta do is put a teabag inna cup, like-a this...then you pour boiling water inna the top...and in a few minutes, wow! you have-a tea!"

It was classic.
if it wasn't for Guido I would have never learned to make tea.
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:33 pm
@dlowan,
the next book in the series is sense and sensibility and sea monsters
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:35 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

check out laurie as bertie wooster in jeeves and wooster, stephen fry also from blackadder plays his gentleman's gentleman jeeves

Oddly, I bought some of that series recently, lbut the TV version, largely because ehBeth raves about the books so much.

It's really weird, because I expected to love it, but it just fell really flat for me. I might try another episode.
dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
Cool, thank you...I will have a look.

I am sure AD is available here, but if Reg is only just out for you guys, I think my only bet would be to see if it's downloadable.
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:37 pm
@dlowan,
interesting

i wasn't as big a fan of the episodes that took place in america, they seemed a little slapstick to me, but i do own the whole set on dvd
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:41 pm
Porterhouse Blue is a novel written by Tom Sharpe, first published in 1974. The novel itself has a sequel, Grantchester Grind, but Porterhouse Blue has a stand-alone plot.

The plot is a satirical look at Cambridge life and the struggle between tradition and reform, it tells the story of Skullion, the Head Porter of a fictional Cambridge college, Porterhouse.

In 1987, Porterhouse Blue was adapted for television by Malcolm Bradbury for Channel 4 in four episodes. It starred David Jason as Skullion, Ian Richardson as Sir Godber Evans, Charles Gray as Sir Cathcart D'Eath, and John Sessions as Zipser. Also appearing were Griff Rhys Jones as Cornelius Carrington, Paula Jacobs as Mrs. Biggs, Paul Rogers as the Dean, John Woodnutt as the Senior Tutor, Lockwood West as the Chaplain, and Harold Innocent as the Bursar.

The title song "Dives in Omnia" (cod-Latin for "Wealth in all things") was sung by a cappella group The Flying Pickets. The series won an International Emmy and two BAFTA Awards (including David Jason's for Best Actor). [1]

The television adaptation has been released on DVD and VHS.

Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, Sacrist's Gate near Ely Cathedral in Cambridgeshire and Apethorpe Hall in Northamptonshire were used as locations in the series.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:46 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Cool, thank you...I will have a look.

I am sure AD is available here, but if Reg is only just out for you guys, I think my only bet would be to see if it's downloadable.

I LOVE those series where things resonate later in the series from earlier, as you begin to understand and know the characters and situations more.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:47 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Eva wrote:

That was great, Dys!

It was classic.
if it wasn't for Guido I would have never learned to make tea.

I always wondered if people would actually buy one.
Do you still have yours? Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:48 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

interesting

i wasn't as big a fan of the episodes that took place in america, they seemed a little slapstick to me, but i do own the whole set on dvd

WELL!!! There's a thing. These episodes I happened to buy DO happen in America.

I will try borrowing some set in England ones.
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:49 pm
@dlowan,
ha, there you go
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 05:49 pm
I have to go to work now, but I'll comment more and thank people and such when I get home.

Thank you all so much.
0 Replies