Do I need to ground my cat?

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 06:16 pm
I think you know that when it comes to cat discipline, Roger, we are the ones who generally wind up losing.

Be sure you stock up on bandaids.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 06:17 pm
@dlowan,
Sort of. It's close to dark, and the next time he comes in, the door closes for the night. I'll load up the squirt bottle and be ready. I'll be keeping the screen door closed, and the main door open for the heat. This is going to be tough. The screen door has a cat proof (really, it is) grating, but as you mentioned, he can use it to make an intolerable racket.

Nermal doesn't get mad, but he sure knows how to look totally heartbroken.
margo

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:43 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Nermal doesn't get mad, but he sure knows how to look totally heartbroken.

He's not looking heartbroken - that's his evil "What can I do to this geezer" face!

Repeat: Stock up on bandaids. Make sure your health insurance is paid up!
roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:49 pm
@margo,
No. Really, he's not like that. The trap is sprung and he's just looking mournful. So far, only squirted once for clawing the screen door. Even though I'm the evil doer, and he knows it, he still comes around for sympathy - and gets it.

Not sure on the rest of the plan. I freshened up the bowl, and he took a nibble. Am I supposed to put it away now, and send him out on his morning rounds on an empty stomach? Not sure I can be so heartless.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:52 pm
@roger,
oh, good grief.
roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
So, how would you like to put in a full day's prowling around without breakfast?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:00 pm
@roger,
Be strong, Little Rat.

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:01 pm
@dlowan,
<whimper>
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:02 pm
Good first step.

See how you go tonight!
KiwiChic

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 01:48 am
@margo,
My two spawn of evil, get fed twice a day 8am in the morning and 5.30pm at night....my Mother always said don't over feed them, but feed them twice a day and they will always come home....which they do, and god help me if their meals aren't out......they carry on as if I starve them to death!
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 03:02 am
@KiwiChic,
I just keep kibble out for them. Spooky overeats; Nermal is content with a token bite when he comes in. It's hard to accommodate two radically different creatures.

So far, so good. The screen door has only been assaulted twice, and only one quick squirt for emphasis. Cat's dry and I am uninjured, so day one wasn't as bad as expected.
dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 03:21 am
@roger,
Righteous Rat!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:05 am
@roger,
Quote:
So far, so good. The screen door has only been assaulted twice, and only one quick squirt for emphasis. Cat's dry and I am uninjured, so day one wasn't as bad as expected.

Reading along with considerable interest, Roger.

So, scores @ round 1:

Roger = 1
Cats = 0

Good luck with round 2! Very Happy

0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:57 am
@roger,
Quote:
I just keep kibble out for them. Spooky overeats; Nermal is content with a token bite when he comes in. It's hard to accommodate two radically different creatures.

Sounds like you've got it all under control, Roger. Glad to hear it!

The indoor/outdoor thing is always tough with cats. I find each of my cats is different: Some cats will rip every window screen out, trying to escape to outdoors, and some will never even seem to notice there IS an outdoors.

They do, in fact, now make those underground radio fences for cats. They're pricey, however, around $200 (yikes!). We have one of these for our 3 dogs, and it's been Wonderful!

Oh, I also leave food out at all times for our cats, and have always done so.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:18 am
Did a bit of Internet searching for possible cat tracking devices...

One intriguing option is the "Loc8torLite," about $80 on eBay. Uses RF, not GPS, to find your cat up to 122m/400ft away. Reasonable price, but you'd have to waterproof the tag to put it on your cat's collar. Still you get 2 tags with the device, and the tag is light enough for a cat collar.

Review link here:
http://www.mypettrackingcollars.com/gps-and-radio-frequency-tracking-collars/

Apparently GPS trackers are not only very pricey, but usually the transmitters are too heavy for kitties.

Interesting!
roger

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm
@BorisKitten,
Interesting idea that I probably won't follow up on. By the way, did you ever see the cat cam photos that Craven posted?
BorisKitten

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:31 pm
@roger,
Quote:
...cat cam photos...

Yes, and LOVE 'em!

I just might get the locator thingie for my 2 outdoor cats. Will think about it for a while first!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:32 pm
Oh, and have you all seen the prices on those outdoor cat enclosures?

Zowie! Shocked
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 04:22 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Interesting idea that I probably won't follow up on. By the way, did you ever see the cat cam photos that Craven posted?

There's a whole cat cam WORLD out there.

Just google cat cam.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:08 pm
@roger,
Hang tough, little ass.