Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 06:56 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,158 • Replies: 9
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:49 am
I'm frigging confused slavery @ $47,643 per year seems decent for a "worker" slaving here in the USA.

So what IBM is saying is let's move the job to where we can get cheaper slaves?? So what they gunna call the new employee - endentured servants?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 11:04 am
The article is a parody regarding massive layoffs at IBM husker.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:11 pm
In this day and age - it's almost to real!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:26 pm
That's the beauty of The Onion's humour, it's almost always right on target. Laughing
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 06:44 am
Love it, Cav.

We are right back where we were during the Gilded Age of the late 1800s. Mega-mergers are creating new monopolies. Loopholes in labor laws permit Fortune500 companies to lay off full-time workers in favor of part-timers who receive no benefits beyond an hourly wage and the labor unions are toothless tigers.

And, of course, euphemisms rule. The Onion is right on target. That is exactly how IBM would like to portray the massive downsizing if they thought they could get away with it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:12 am
Read this the other day (over crumb cake, mmm). Almost as funny was an interview in one of the local weeklies with Jon Stewart. "Is it strange doing stand-up?" "Well, I've been doing it for fifteen years, so no, it's not." "What do you think the importance of satire is to our culture?" "I don't think it's important at all. At least, it's not as useful as, say, filling potholes." "What is your role in the news media?" "The same as the role of the robots in Mystery Science Theater 3000. We sit back and shout derisive things at it."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 07:22 am
LOL!!!!!!!

And - looking through a glass onion is a damn fine thing to do - too.

I believe it IS real, Husker, BTW.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:06 am
Truth is stranger than fiction.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 08:59 am
pd -- love your transcript of that interview! I think interviewers on talk shows get special training in how to ask the most inane questions. Unfortunately, most interviewees don't realize they've been provided with a perfect 'straight man' and thus respond just as inanely. Stewart took full advantage of the opportunity offered, though.
0 Replies