Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 06:47 am
@dlowan,
Therein lies the rub.
Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I am a LOT grumpier.

Really? You already look plenty grumpy to me in that Monty Python movie about you from the 70s. But you could be right, of course -- I do that to people.
dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:15 am
@LionTamerX,
Because you tame them?

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:15 am
@Thomas,
Adolescents are often grumpy.

I was an adolescent then.
Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:38 am
@dlowan,
Yeah, Monty used to complain to me a lot about how difficult you were to work with. Talk about "having a colleague for breakfast"!
dlowan

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:11 am
@Thomas,
Ha! Caught.

There WAS no "Monty".
LionTamerX

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 07:09 am
@dlowan,
Do you know how to catch a unique rabbit ?

You neek up on it.
Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 07:27 am
@dlowan,
Of course there was a Monty! He's just not getting any recognition because John Cleese wanted all the credit. My good friend Pink Floyd had the same problem with Roger Waters. This has been giving Pink and Monty depressions to this day.
dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:04 am
@LionTamerX,
LionTamerX wrote:

Do you know how to catch a unique rabbit ?

You neek up on it.

Oh dear.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:05 am
@Thomas,
Understandable.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:29 pm
@fresco,
To (maybe?) clarify, sometimes I like to have a bit o' fun:

1) Did A2K change me or did I change A2K?

2) Could I even tell if A2k changed me given I would have no prior frame of easy reference?

3) Reinterpreting the word “myself” in my original post one could say: I’ve changed myself through intent and not just by exposure to A2K.

This reminds me of the old man who goes to the doctor, the doctor asks the old fella if he tends to be forgetful, the old guy replies “how would I know if I can’t remember if I forgot!”
Pantalones

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:45 pm
I'm pretty sure A2K has changed me, it made me believe in internet forums as a whole. I was amazed of it's power when people I didn't even talk to much on the site met with me in person while I was in Europe.

When I first joined I used to stay in A2K for hours reading a little bit of everything and doing most of my contributions to the site on the Philosophy section. Right now I mostly just use it as a gateway for Fantasy Baseball. A2K reflects that I have changed and a few times it's been the reason why I have changed.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 01:00 pm
@Chumly,
Thanks for that answer. I think the relativity issue is answered for me when I attend "real life" philosophical meetings in which I am often "surprised" when I am asked to explain from first principles. I "forget" that those guys haven't read years of my posts and don't know where I'm coming from.

What I am saying is that I think there is a certain mode of discourse particular to forums like a2k which can require constant expansion and revision of our ideas beyond that which is required in normal verbal exchanges. It may be that this written medium is being used as an appendage to verbal memory requirements within exchanges and it the experience of that which "changes us".
Chumly

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 12:38 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
First Principles is also the title of a work by Herbert Spencer. In philosophy, a first principle is a basic, foundational proposition or assumption that cannot be deduced from any other proposition or assumption. In mathematics, first principles are referred to as axioms or postulates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_principle

OK, although I'm not too sure how strongly I adhere to a set of first principles, I guess I might come across as having at least some, but for me I more try to find the logic of the moment if there is one :-)

In any case sure, there is an ongoing expectation of a some sort of cyber-persona.
0 Replies