should screaming at work get me fired?

Mame

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:15 pm
@OGIONIK,
And what could one possibly say to that?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:37 pm
@Mame,
you want fries with that?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:41 pm
OGIONIK tombstone is going to read:

"This is all your fault."
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:44 pm
@Green Witch,
what i dont blame anyone. i just criticize.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:44 pm
@OGIONIK,
ps

i wont have a tombstone, im not that vain.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:49 pm
so how exactly do i go about changing my temperament?

seriously id like to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperament

In psychology, temperament refers to innate aspects of an individual's personality, such as introversion or extroversion. A great many classificatory schemes for temperament have been developed; none has achieved general consensus.[1]

Historically the concept was part of the theory of the humours, which had corresponding temperaments. It played an important part in pre-modern psychology, and was important to philosophers like Immanuel Kant and Hermann Lotze. More recently the relationship between temperament and character has been examined with an emphasis on the biological basis of personality, though biological correlates has proven hard to confirm.[1]

im an introvert. so your telling me to become an extravert?

i tried acting outgoing for years, and all it does is sap all of my energy.

but its fine, i dont care. time = money, not effort.

all an employer wants from its workers is to show up.

from my personal experience anyways.

leading me to another topic..
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:53 pm
@OGIONIK,
temperament is mainly implanted by genetics, however one can always get better at wearing a social mask, get better at acting.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:54 pm
@OGIONIK,
I'm an introvert and just because I am does not mean that I can not lead meetings and "act extroverted" if need be. It is not my comfort zone, however, to be successful and do well in my job, there are times when it is necessary to be an extrovert.

It doesn't mean that you always act as an extrovert - just when it is in your best interest.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 01:59 pm
@Linkat,
yeah but.. nevermind lol!

see i just do the smart thing and dont apply as "open" anymore.

sorta limiting, but i can be myself.

hooray!
chai2

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 02:44 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

here's a concrete exercise that will 100% guarantee you won't voice your criticisms.

Take your upper lip, align with your bottom lip, and have the two gently press together in such a way that no part of your mouth is open.

You don't criticize, you whine.

There's a time and a place. Some one will come in my office and say, "I need to vent"....I do the same. With that phrase the door is closed and the person venting is allowed 5 minutes to say whatever they are feeling. Not asking for advise, just saying it. Then, feeling freer, they can come to some sort of solution.

Yeah, this forum is a time and a place to do that....for a while. Then, it becomes obvious you just want to whine, without looking to change a thing.

with DD12, a change can actually be seen, in a remarkably short time.
you're talking the same **** as when you originally started here. What's the statute of limitations on this sort of thing.
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 02:46 pm
@OGIONIK,
Sure - you have the choice.

You can be extrovert when it is in your best interest to be successful and do well. Yes, it will be more difficult and you have to work harder if this is not natural or uncomfortable for you.

Or you can do what makes you more comfortable or is easier for you - just realize that it will limit you.

Neither is wrong or right - just that you will be limited if you do not work harder.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 02:49 pm
@OGIONIK,
Ogionik: A Word to the Wise:

The customer is everything in a business. A happy customer, through word of mouth, repeat business = more sales, whether you own the shop or just work there. So the secret to success is to make sure they're happy. To make sure they're happy, you need to read body language, really 'hear' what they're saying, anticipate what they might like, be unobtrusive but present... I'm talking about just about everywhere except a fast food place, although even there that would work.

In a restaurant, a server who is never present is as bad as one who is always present. No one wants to be interrupted or ignored. Reading body language is one of the finest tools a person can learn. 'Oh, looks like they want something', and over you trot. 'Oh, looks like they're heavily engaged in a conversation', so leave them to it.

Knowledge of your product is of extreme importance in saving them time and in making a sale. For example, if a customer says they want this very same thing but in blue and you KNOW you don't have it, say so, rather than lead them around to every rack just to show them similar items. They'll be pissed at you for wasting their time and you'll have wasted your time on someone who's not going to buy what you don't have.

It's all about the customer and your products - do you know what you have? Do you know what they want?

And another thing when you're working in fast food, is to say, "You've ordered blah blah, but for $1.20 less, you can get basically the same thing which is xyz." People really appreciate saving money. Unless you plan to be a manager at a fast food place, you will likely never get mgmt recognition for what you do, but it's a fabulous place to hone these skills.

Hopefully when you work, you have loyalty to your employer and work to make them money and that it's not all about you and the bonuses and perks you get but in a huge organization it's never going to be about you when you're in the takeout window...

Figure out what you really want to do, learn and hone those skills and then move on and up. At the end of the day (each day, in fact), you want to be able to say Yes to questions about whether you did your best, learned something, improved something, etc. For me, that's what it's really all about.

All really good workers get appreciated somewhere along the line - depends on the company and the managers, sometimes, but keep on going until you find the right fit. Somebody, somewhere, out there will appreciate you and what you have to offer, but only if you have something to offer. You're in control of that, so make the best of these years and soak it all up.
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 03:28 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

OGIONIK wrote:

here's a concrete exercise that will 100% guarantee you won't voice your criticisms.

Take your upper lip, align with your bottom lip, and have the two gently press together in such a way that no part of your mouth is open.

You don't criticize, you whine.

There's a time and a place. Some one will come in my office and say, "I need to vent"....I do the same. With that phrase the door is closed and the person venting is allowed 5 minutes to say whatever they are feeling. Not asking for advise, just saying it. Then, feeling freer, they can come to some sort of solution.

Yeah, this forum is a time and a place to do that....for a while. Then, it becomes obvious you just want to whine, without looking to change a thing.

with DD12, a change can actually be seen, in a remarkably short time.
you're talking the same **** as when you originally started here. What's the statute of limitations on this sort of thing.

and how will this affect me typing?
OGIONIK

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 03:30 pm
@OGIONIK,
wow um i realized something, yet again i always realize it after i question why so and so blah blah.

****. me.

sometimes i just forget, but its all good
stupid me.
Mame

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 04:21 pm
@OGIONIK,
Does anyone here know what he's (you're) talking about? If so, please enlighten me.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 04:30 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
To make sure they're happy, you need to read body language, really 'hear' what they're saying

Given that IMHO most forum troll type sadsacks are borderline (or worse) ADHD/autistic spectrum types, that may be a pretty tall order.
0 Replies