Rumsfeld is almost Toast

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:23 pm
Rumsfeld 'not told' of postwar shake-up
By Peter Spiegel in Colorado Springs
Published: October 7 2003 - - Financial Times.com

Donald Rumsfeld, US defence secretary, said on Tuesday he had not been told by President George W. Bush or the National Security Council that the White House was to restructure the handling of postwar Iraq before the media were briefed on the plan by NSC officials.

Mr Bush has ordered the creation of an "Iraq Stabilization Group," which will be run by Condoleezza Rice who is head of the NSC, which co-ordinates foreign policy in the White House.

In an interview with the Financial Times and three European news organisations, Mr Rumsfeld insisted that the new NSC role appeared to be no different from the policy-co-ordinating structure that had existed for more than a year.

He said he did not know why Ms Rice, Mr Bush's national security adviser, had felt it necessary to send a memorandum about the new organisation to cabinet officials or brief the New York Times about the move.

"That's what the NSC's charter is," Mr Rumsfeld said. "The only thing unusual about it is the attention. I kind of wish they'd just release the memorandum."

Mr Bush on Monday welcomed the new organisation, saying: "Condi's job, and Condi's team is going to make sure that the efforts are continued to be co-ordinated."

Mr Rumsfeld declined to comment on the perception that the move was an attempt by the White House to strip control of the rebuilding from the tight grip of the Pentagon. He sought to portray it as a reiteration of existing policy and seemed perturbed that Ms Rice had decided to draw attention to the memo by "backgrounding" the media.

"I don't know quite what the purpose of the backgrounding was . . . she gave a background, she said what she said, and the way I read the memorandum is that it is basically what the responsibility of the NSC is and always has been, which is what's been going on," he said.

Mr Rumsfeld added: "My impression of it is that that is what is the charter of the National Security Council, and I haven't been able to detect any difference from the memo - unfortunately it's a classified memo, it shouldn't be, there's nothing in it that's classified."

Mr Rumsfeld said he was not upset that he had not been told about Ms Rice's memo beforehand. Senior administration officials frequently produced such policy memorandums and distributed them to "principals" without informing them the missive was being produced.

But people close to the Pentagon said on Tuesday that Mr Rumsfeld's account appeared to be at odds with that of Ms Rice who told the New York Times that she had devised the new structure with Mr Rumsfeld, Colin Powell, the secretary of state, and Dick Cheney, the vice-president.

Before issuing her memo, Ms Rice had been criticised for giving the Pentagon too much control in Iraq.Paul Bremer, civilian administrator, and General John Abizaid, chief military commander, report to Mr Rumsfeld.

Full transcript of interview with Donald Rumsfeld:

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1059480413395&p=1051389668635
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 631 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:27 pm
I'll believe Rummy is out when it happens. I think Bush would be fired before the dark forces are ousted!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:30 pm
And another thing
In today's Bush Cabinet meeting, I noticed that Paul Wolfowitz was sitting at the president's left where Rumsfeld usually sits. Strange since Wolfowitz works for Rumsfeld.

I wonder if Rumsfeld will resign soon.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:32 pm
I could see them substituting Wolfy for Rummy, but then I also suspect they will put Rice in Powell's jump boots. Rummy is certainly expendable. He has very poor public skills, and has been the butt of jokes for at least six months by the public (remember the Rumsfeld Haikus?).
This bears watching. Sharp eyes as always BBB.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 09:34 am
Rummy Wars
Rummy Wars
US News & World Report Whispers

Has the bickering between State and the Pentagon over Iraq cooled? Defense Secretary Don Rumsfeld apparently has caved in to State's bid to expand its corps in Baghdad. Despite complaints from some of Rummy's aides that the Coalition Provisional Authority already has too many State "Arabists," CPA boss Paul Bremer has asked for more. And Secretary of State Colin Powell is more than happy to send an additional 58 over to help out the U.S.-led occupation government.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 05:36 pm
White House backtracks on Rumsfeld
White House backtracks on Rumsfeld
By Guy Dinmore and James Harding in Washington
Published: October 8 2003

The Bush administration's shake-up of its policymaking structure for Iraq was overshadowed on Wednesday by an admission from the White House that Donald Rumsfeld, the defence secretary in charge of reconstruction, had not been consulted.

Backtracking on the assurances he made at the beginning of the week that Mr Rumsfeld had been "very involved in this process", Scott McClellan, the White House press secretary, said on Wednesday: "Maybe I should not have characterised it that way."

Mr Rumsfeld told the Financial Times on Tuesday he had not learnt of the Iraq Stabilization Group, a new co-ordinating body headed by Condoleezza Rice, national security adviser, until he received a classified memo from her. Mr Rumsfeld said he had not been briefed beforehand.

Ms Rice had told the New York Times over the weekend that she had devised the new group together with Dick Cheney, vice-president, Colin Powell, the secretary of state, and Mr Rumsfeld in August.

With the president's poll ratings sagging, concerns about US casualties in Iraq growing and the White House facing its first criminal investigation, the administration's shake-up of its policymaking structure for Iraq has exposed, rather than resolved, differences in the president's national security team.

Ms Rice's appointment at the helm of the group was viewed as an effort to restore the authority of the National Security Council, which has been criticised for handing over the reconstruction effort to Mr Rumsfeld's Pentagon.

But Mr Rumsfeld's comments on Tuesday were dismissive of the new group, suggesting that it was just a restatement of the NSC's responsibility and hinting at puzzlement that Ms Rice had chosen to provide a "background" briefing to the media.

On Monday, the White House reiterated the line given by Ms Rice. Mr McClellan said Mr Rumsfeld had been "very involved in this process". But yesterday Mr McClellan retracted his remarks, insisting instead that Paul Bremer, the US administrator for the occupying powers in Iraq who reports to Mr Rumsfeld, had been consulted.

The confusion reflected what commentators have called a "civil war" within the administration. William Kristol, a neo-conservative ideologue and publisher, wrote in the latest Weekly Standard magazine that the administration had been virtually "invisible" in making its case for an extra $87bn in spending on Iraq and Afghanistan.

"One reason for this is that the civil war in the Bush administration has become crippling," he wrote. "The CIA is in open revolt against the White House. The State Department and the Defense Department aren't working together at all."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 05:42 pm
Somebody gotta voluntarily fall on their sword.

They will let the volunteer know as soon as he/she is chosen.

Looks like Rummy's may finally win a lottery.

But my guess is he will only go kicking and screaming -- but subtly kicking and screaming.
0 Replies