What is "Real"

MattTravis

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:16 am
Surely you cannot be false, as there is no such thing as nothing, and therefore, by deduction of the elementary sense, we are real.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 09:35 am
@MattTravis,
Yes, it would seem that any action or thought that happens is an indication of that.
But before you can say "I am real" you have to be clear on precicely what you mean by "I".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 11:18 am
@MattTravis,
Yes, I guess that "nothing" IS something, in the sense of a meaningful property or quality, but I wouldn't try to sell it.
Are there perhaps degrees of reality or "realness"? And is there finally something we can call Ultimate Reality?
Buddhism talks about our "reality" as illusory, but this refers not to our immediate experience--i.e., the prereflective awareness of the primordially given (as experienced in meditation properly done)--it refers to our construals, our translations of immediate experience into symbolic references to what we construe as absolute and objectified things rather than moving sensations that are always changing and relating to other moving and changing sensations. The latter are REAL, reflections of our true self, as "it" relates to all "things." I refer to them as objectified and distinct "things" only because my language requires it. But that is a look at the illusory nature of our "reality."
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 04:03 am
@mars90000000,
Quote:
What is "Real". How do you define "Real"?

real is everything really

except of course everything that's unreal

real can be true

really and truly

get real

anyone infringing the copyrights of this product will be held
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:52 am
@oolongteasup,
After discussions in other threads I have come to suspect that "real", to most people, is a concept that we subjectively infuse with meaning according to our specific needs in any given situation. But ask most people what "real" means and they will give an explanation that basically equates "real" with "physical".

I tend to think of it simply as "real" is what is. If you can dream it up it is real, if only as real as a dream can ever get. "Sane" people seem to think I am insane to suggest this. It's quite funny.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:14 am
@Cyracuz,
Very good, Cryacuz. I agree, and I think that while we may both be a bit unsane, we are not insane. I have said somewhere here that a mirage is real, a real mirage. But we should not confuse it with a lake an attempt to bathe in it
JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:14 am
@Cyracuz,
Very good, Cryacuz. I agree, and I think that while we may both be a bit unsane, we are not insane. I have said somewhere here that a mirage is real, a real mirage. But we should not confuse it with a lake an attempt to bathe in it
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 12:01 pm
@JLNobody,
Yes, I was thinking about your post with the mirage as I was writing. Smile

It seems to me that people tend to think that first a thing was real, then it was percieved and became real as a concept to us aswell. People seem to assume that everything begins with physical existence, and that consciousness is secondary. Never mind the fact that many things that have physical reality started out as ideas in consciousness.

As I see it, a statment that would perhaps describe reality in a better way for us might be; reality is a state of consciousness that exists as a tangled hierarchical process.
It assumes, of course, that reality is, at it's most fundamental level, consciousness rather than physical.
The oposite is generally regarded as truth, but it is also merely an assumption. It also leaves us wanting answers to how consciousness came to be and where it came from.

0 Replies