What is "Real"

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

PQ,

I am a now a semi-retired school director having taught and researched the psychology and philosophy of language many years ago. Both the "leadership role" of my current occupation and the psychology of "retirement" are aided by an ability to stand back and objectivise the concept of "self". I should add that this mode can come with the price tag of isolation (as in Camus "The Outsider")

Thank you Fresco.
Do you think this understanding ever had any benefit to the research you mention?
I don't know the nature of your research, but do you think that there was ever a point where you achieved something because more 'options' were open in your mind due to your stance- Enabling you to follow thought trains unavailable to others?

I can imagine this position is extremely isolating- especially considering Cyracuz's last comment. Do you find that a frustration?
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:08 am
@JLNobody,
I would agree with Fresco that you understand more than you are claiming, but I like your approach of not claiming authority and remaining relativist. However, I suppose this only works 'inside' the construct. Fresco transcends this by 'disregarding' language in a sense and becoming 'objective', whereas you present your opinions from 'inside?'
I think the positions are pretty much the same?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:11 am
@JLNobody,
Also, JL, sorry the same question goes to you-
Quote:
Do you think that there was ever a point where you achieved something because more 'options' were open in your mind due to your stance- Enabling you to follow thought trains unavailable to others?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:14 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Thanks for the explanation fresco.

I have been so focused on the unity of all things lately that the mechanics of dualism have started to appear strange to me, as once oneness did...

Cyracuz, how does this change the way you operate in 'everyday life' which demands that you communicate with others in a dualistic fashion? If you are so focused on unity, is it easy to snap back into acting in accordance with the 'conventional' manner of understanding?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 12:40 pm
PQ, everyday life is a blend of the concepts unity and dualism. The concept of unity is in itself only valid as an oposite of something. Language is naturally restricted by this, but not thought. One thing that becomes simpler with this in mind is to remember things. If you deconstruct the dualisms into a single mental image or landscape you have one single object to remember.
Of course, dualism isn't eliminated, you merely applied it consciously in a way that benefitted you.
In most aspects of daily life, wether to percieve dualism or unity in any given object or situation is determined for us, perhaps subconsciously and collectively. But there are exceptions. Times when it is not given which concepts apply where. And then there are times when you have to let all these things go and become a seamlessly integrated part of whatever function you are performing just to get it right.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 01:38 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Hardly "enabling" ! I left psychological research with the distinct realization that most of behaviouristic psychology was pseudo-scientific bunk...a view that has yet to be changed. What it did do was push me towards philosophy in the sense that so-called "difficult" stuff like the later Wittgenstein's philosophy of language, or Piaget's "genetic epistemology" seemed obvious to me. Little "me's" could certainly get frustrated with others who could not understand some of these areas, but "self-transcedence" can ameliorate that frustration.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:20 pm
@Cyracuz,
Very good!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 03:20 pm
@Cyracuz,
Very good!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:36 pm
@fresco,
I wonder if the question can be answered mathematically?
fresco

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 05:57 pm
@JLNobody,
Unfortunately the word "real" takes on a particular significance in mathematics being the adjunct of "imaginary" in complex number theory. I remember being slightly "mind-boggled" at age 16 when I was taught that the "imaginary numbers" are multiples of "the square root of minus one" and lie on an axis at right angles to the "real" number line !

On the other hand, it has always been my contention that we lack the mathematics which describes the mutual interaction of "thinger" and "thinged". Some attempts have been made at the edges of this concept such "second order cybernetics" (the observation of observation) and "non binary logic", but I don't see any signs of a general solution.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:24 pm
@fresco,
Mr Goswami, who I have become very facinated with, starts with the idea that the world is inherently consciousness and that physical existence is secondary; a result of conscious activity. He claims quantum physics makes this "clear as day".

He says that subject and object arise from tangled hierarchical measurement in the brain, but it is not the brain that is causing them. From the inside of consciousness, he says, it seems like subject creates object and object creates subject, but that is an illusory manifestation of consciousness.

I would really like to hear what you guys make of this.
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:44 pm
@Cyracuz,
Ask a bloke before he's shot by a firing squad. He could give you a definitive answer.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 12:48 pm
@spendius,
Spendi, you are still inside the thing we are looking at...
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 02:25 pm
@Cyracuz,
By your argument we are still inside what Mr Goswami is not looking at.

Are you imagining this thread?
fresco

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:07 pm
@Cyracuz,
We would need to read more of Goswami to understand this point. But in as much that "subject" and "object" are normally thought of as "separate" and"physical", I would concur that that is a pragmatic "illusion". It is the equivalent of separating a river (consciousness) into "the water" and "its bed".
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:15 pm
@spendius,
Yes, I am imagining this thread. What else?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 05:45 pm
@fresco,
Blimey fresco--do you not understand quantum physics. Quantum physics makes it as "clear as day". Can't you read or what?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:03 pm
@fresco,
Yes, more reading is neccesary. But so far it seems to me he is trying to connect consciousness to quantum mechanics. He refers to the world as probability, and what actually happens as choice.

I think I've linked this video in at least 3 different threads now, counting this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s42mrdhKwRA
Sorry for the spam..
spendius

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:15 pm
@Cyracuz,
He's a weaver of the winds Cyr. Intellectuals with names such as he has always are.

Does he make his statements as subject or object or both or neither?

I suspect he is rounding up a sort of harem of Oxbridge ladies or rock stars who have run out of ideas.

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2010 06:22 pm
@spendius,
That sounded like wind to me.

Yes

More wind.

But hey, wind rocks the boat
0 Replies