HOW TO: Can I bleach a Jean Jacket?

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:01 pm
My son just bought a Dark Blue 1000% cotton Jean Jacket. He wants me to bleach it to make it lighter. Can I do this safely? Does anyone know how I can do this without making it splotchy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 17,249 • Replies: 19
No top replies

zrock

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:00 pm
sandpaper can be used instead of bleach to aviod the splotchy effect. I would suggest testing a spot inside the sleeveor on an older pair of jeans first.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:15 pm
Is that one of those that is 10X bigger than a normal jacket?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:17 pm
Actually, no! He's very "Retro". 14 and likes metal bands from the 70's and eighties! Rock and roll all the way! Weird?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:18 pm
zrock wrote:
sandpaper can be used instead of bleach to aviod the splotchy effect. I would suggest testing a spot inside the sleeveor on an older pair of jeans first.

Hmm. Thenks for the tip. I don't think I want to work that hard... Just want to throw it in the wash if I can.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:18 pm
Try washing it in HOT water and soap first. If a couple washings doesn't lighten it up enough, they try 1/2 cup of bleach and soap in hot water (large setting), but make sure to fill the tub and agitate before adding the jacket, or you might ruin it. If that still isn't enough, then try more bleach.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:19 pm
My 10X comment was in reference to "1000% cotton".
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:22 pm
Ha! Ha! I thought you meant Baggy clothes!

That's what I thought I'd try. Just wanted to get some reassurance on not making it splotchy. I guess you have to make sure you dilute the bleach evenly first.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:04 pm
If your worried about it being splotchy, take it out of the water and put it back in a couple of time, just to make sure it's not all scrunched up. Otherwise, it will probably have some darker and lighter areas.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:13 pm
Thanks everyone. It's in now-- we'll see.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:18 pm
I'm late and have no advice since I never did this, but I'm waiting to hear about the results. Good luck fealola ;-)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:00 pm
fealola wrote:
Actually, no! He's very "Retro". 14 and likes metal bands from the 70's and eighties! Rock and roll all the way! Weird?

Well... it may be too late for this. But what he REALLY wants is to bleach it using a squirt gun.

try it with a dark Tee shirt first
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:03 pm
Well, I ran it through twice with soap, hot water and lots of bleach. Nothing happened! Maybe the squirt gun direct approach is the way. He would enjoy that anyway!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:18 pm
I just took it out of the dryer and it looks a little bit more used. Very subtle though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:24 pm
I think a lot of these new bleaches are "color safe". You haveta get the evil industrial-strength kind.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:26 pm
Ohhh. I figured it had to do with something like that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:38 pm
Off topic as usual, but I have never found a bleach that was safe for socks with elastic ankles, regardless of claims on the label.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:42 pm
Where is kuvasz when you need him?
and ... where is kuvasz?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 11:49 am
This thread reminds me of a TV commercial where a young boy in dark jeans sees a store display that says "faded jeans are in." He goes home and washes his pants over and over with some detergent, but they don't fade. Finally he sees "Prevents Fading" on the detergent label!

If I had a very dark jacket that I wanted to lighten several shades, I wouldn't use the washing machine or soap. I would get a BIG tub of some kind (or use the bathtub) and put in about four or five inches of hot water. I'd wet the jacket and take it out, then add a quart or more of Chlorine bleach and stir it until it was completely mixed. Then I'd put the jacket back in and leave it in the bleach until it looked like I wanted it to. Try to submerge the jacket, perhaps with weights of some kind, or keep turning it over or stirring it often.

The only warning here is that Chlorine bleach will eat away at the fibers of the jacket -- it will be softer, which is good, but if you leave it in the solution too long it will tear easily -- not good.

Then wash it with detergent and no bleach, and dry.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
I think I'll try that the next time! Maybe add the bleach little by little until something happens.
0 Replies