am i unamerican??? why fireworks...

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:19 am
@boomerang,
glad you weighed in-I love 'em too, but alas, this was the first year I didn't set them off in front of the ol' hacienda with 30 kids yelling OOOOHHHH! It rained

This town is funny about fireworks. There's a sign as you get off the interstate that warns: Fireworks are illegal in this city!But...

There's a bricks and mortar retail store where you can buy anything you want, as long as you aver that you are an agent (for)
Quote:
"railroads or other transportation agencies for signal purposes or illumination or when used in quarrying or for blasting or other industrial use."

or that they are...
Quote:
"to be used solely and exclusively in frightening birds from agricultural works and fish hatcheries." Those sorts of uses will be regulated by the Department of Agriculture,
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Hell I am pretty sure living is pretty dangerous, we should ban it!

Excellent point, Robert. We find reasons to worry about the damndest things. I imagine there are statistics to show that crossing the street against a red light while chewing gum is more dangerous than crossing the street against a red light while saying the lord's Prayer.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

dadpad wrote:
It would be interesting to see the stats on hospital treatment of fireworks injuries and fires.

Then we can look up stats for bicycles, skateboards, cars, beer, scuba diving.... Hell I am pretty sure living is pretty dangerous, we should ban it!

Well, living is not illegal. In many places fireworks are illegal. Even if one can handle fireworks safely, they intrude on one's peaceful existence. Big deal the Brits lost a colony in the 18th century. They ultimately lost an entire Empire. Or rather, big deal that we freed ourselves from a bunch of pompous Redcoats. We are still speaking their language, and still have many of their attitudes/prejudices. We might not be so unique, except for the fact we are a good chunk of a hemisphere, rather than an island nation.
Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:18 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
am i unamerican??? why fireworks...

Doubly ironic, I think the idea came from England, and from a Guy who was a terrorist.
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:25 pm
@Eorl,
ha

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 06:58 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

as I listen all day long to poor folks blowing up our little burg (we have visitors from the big city, cuz we don't have rules) I wonder how the tradition as it exists today got started.

What is the fascination year after year to making such a racket?

I heard on the radio (mainstream classic rock, not Rush) that the bill for fireworks this year was $750 million.

that's a lot of jack.

if it's anything like where I live, the poorest folks are blowing up the mostest stuff.

add in the fire damage (substantial around here) and the emergency room visits, and...

is it really worth it, America?

this year my family and friends held their annual roman candle war.

they said and i quote omfg! "its ok, this year we are being safer, we have goggles"

i for one, have never engaged in that activity, it does seem fun tho.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 06:59 am
@OGIONIK,
omg u guys dont understand from how i wrote that, everyone wears tank tops in the summer in las vegas ROFL!

they look so nasty afterward with burns everywhere,a nd once someone gets burned they stay in so they can revenge burn someone else ad infinitum..

*edit* and everyone makes piccolo pete bomvs, u smash them on one side and tape it and light it it blows up, they put on inside of some glass container one year,

after they blew it up , they sat like 10 feet away, i said u guys are lucky u have ur eyes still, the word of the day is "SCHRAPNEL"
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 07:01 am
@OGIONIK,
yeah, this year i didnt do ****, i took some hydrocodone pills so i could sleep thru the ruckus.

meh, im an emo.

HAHAHAHA
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 12:56 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Well, living is not illegal. In many places fireworks are illegal.

No kidding, and that's something I find pretty weird about America. In America there are way too many frivolous laws that try to protect people from insignificant threats.

The number of people killed by fireworks is roughly comparable to the number killed by dogs. And both are less than the number of people killed by lightning. In 2006 11 people died from fireworks[1] in the US , in 2008 23 people died from dog attacks[2], there are between around 60[3] to 73[4] deaths from lightning each year.

Why is this the kind of nation that will seriously consider banning water guns before real guns? There is something wrong here, America is weird. America ignores systemic threats to their health and safety and focuses on the less-than-lightning scenarios. I suppose it's human nature to focus on exotic dangers more than mundane realistic ones but there's something special about America that lets this kind of irrational concern manifest itself in law more often.

I'm all for trying to increase safety and fireworks certainly can be dangerous but why is there so much focus on insignificant threats? We let teenagers drive motorcycles but worry about fireworks?

Quote:
Even if one can handle fireworks safely, they intrude on one's peaceful existence.

So can dogs. Ban dogs! Might as well ban people too, they are often noisy.
OGIONIK

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
lol robert, true ******* that..

i hate to say it americans disappoint me rather often.

(family fued right now, i spent 250 dollar of food stamp on house, i eat pretty much 10% of that, now i owe people money for the food i eat?)

******* WTF?

one for all for none.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 06:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It is not the fireworks I dislike, it is the people that use them. And, in my opinion, fireworks might be used by some people to reinforce their subscribing to a popular culture that says, "fireworks are fun." Oh, are they? Who is having fun, and at whose expense. Sort of like not being scared of a fearsome dog, but being more scared of the type of people that would own a fearsome dog. I have to believe that some of the fireworks aficianados are very cognizant of the irritation their fireworks cause people/animals, and they may be rejoicing in it. Like I said, it is not the fireworks I dislike, but the people that use them.

JTT

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 09:02 pm
I wonder what a chemical analysis of this type of combustion would reveal. How would it stack up against, say cigarette smoke?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 09:34 pm
@Foofie,
Well then you'd certainly dislike me because I think fireworks are fun.

You'd also be hard pressed to find anyone who loves animals as much as I do. (Just last night I had a stray as an overnight guest while I attempted to find their owner. (Success today!))

Yes, I'm aware that they annoy some people but those people need to get a grip. They do things that annoy me too. My fireworks annoy them for a couple of hours, one night of the year. Their superior attitude annoys me 364 days and 21 hours a year.

Animals that are afraid of loud noises are almost always the victim of their owners reinforcing their pet's insecurities (Oh... poor Fido.... he's so scared... come to mommy....) I tell my pets to "knock that **** off" and give them affection when they knock that **** off. I'd never be able to turn a stray animal loose in my house for the night if my pets didn't know how to knock that **** off.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 10:44 pm
I don't mind if people use fireworks. The complaint I made earlier was just about the ones who are not careful enough.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 11:26 am
http://punditkitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/political-pictures-michelle-barack-obama-celebrates-freedom.jpg
JTT

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 12:01 pm
@boomerang,
Therein lies much of the problem.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2009 07:32 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Yes, I'm aware that they annoy some people but those people need to get a grip. They do things that annoy me too. My fireworks annoy them for a couple of hours, one night of the year. Their superior attitude annoys me 364 days and 21 hours a year.

You just gave me another reason to not feel comfortable with your beliefs. I do not understand why some people take another's supposedly "superior" attitude personally. Many people are actually superior to me in many spheres. I might be superior to others in some other sphere. We might have all been born equal, with the same grey matter in our brains, or equal in the eyes of any God we believe in; however, by the time we are functioning adults those computers in our heads called brains were all not programmed the same, by whoever got the opportunity to program (teach) us this or that. We are all not equal. That is kindergarten propaganda, in my opinion.

So, you, in my opinion, are causing your own discomfort, by empowering those with a superior attitude to annoy you. I am not lighting my own fireworks.
0 Replies