Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:09 pm
Yes, yes, I know, it's the bearings, but...

So, I bought this refrigerator new in 1999. Thus it is ten years old.

I've had a varied refrigerator history.
- My first one was a trade for a drawing of a horse, and I swear I don't remember the details of that, except that it was from a friend's boyfriend, Bruce - but it lasted for the year it needed to.
- A rental place refrigerator, no problem.
- A new one my husband and I bought at Sears eventually went into bearing song, alas, but it was within appropriate years. That is how I recognize the noise.
- In our gallery, we bought a St. Francis de Paul refrigerator (swirling brown robes) to keep the lunch stuff, and it lasted about six years.

So, when I moved into this house in Albuquerque and got the fridge out of storage (money flowing), it was fine for, say, a month, then it started tweeting.
Roger visited and said, you know, this can be a matter of balance, and so I moved the refrigerator a bit, and it shut up. I tried with the wheelie things and couldn't move them at all, no matter what the level above said, I can't ratchet them. I have been moving the refrigerator since then. Let's say that was in 2007.
Every two or three months, the tweets started and I moved the thing and it shut up.

Balance, I get that, and I have a good long level, 48". I already know it is off level, as the door tends to close on its own. I have a good pry bar. I know there are little wheelies to level the fridge at the bottom, but I can't move them, nor work the pry bar.

So, my question is - is this worth hiring someone to come balance the refrigerator? To reiterate, it doesn't sing all the time, but does a bit, at the least, every day now. What are the chances that if I get it balanced, it'll last a while longer? It's a Sears Amana, not low end, but, 1999.

Given the price of a new refrigerator and the price of hiring someone, what would you do, if money were spare.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,735 • Replies: 19
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
I wish I knew enough about these things to advise you, osso. But sadly I don't. Let's hope someone in the know comes along!

What song is it singing, btw? Wink
dadpad

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:19 pm
Most newer fridges are designed to lean back a little so that the door closes, as yours does.

Use a wedge or chock rather than a pry bar. Use the pry bar to lift the fridge push the chock(s) into place with your foot. adjust the wheels, lift the fridge again on the pry bar and kick the chocks away.

I supect you need a fridge mechanic to look at the motor and compressor
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:24 pm
@msolga,
Thanks, ohla..

I am suspecting it's worth it, but would be bummed if after spending x it keeps going into refrigerator song at length, and all that means.
I'll admit I didn't try with the pry bar (which I call the spearchucker), if I said so I was exaggerating - just the wheelie things. Maybe it's me that should shut up until I see if I could make that work.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:25 pm
What about just slipping some shims under which ever wheels need raising?
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Thanks, ohla..

Surprised Ha! Wink

Good luck with your tinkering, osso!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:35 pm
@dadpad,
I'll believe you, dadpad, re motor and compressor.

I used to be pretty capable re some of this but not so much now, especially as this is in a moderately tight space.
My fear is throwing dollars at a visit and hearing tweets the next morning.

Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Snort, it's quiet now. Finally it got some attention, which it had been whinging for.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Yay! Very Happy

Glad it was so easy & didn't involve lots of $$$, osso.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:48 pm
@Butrflynet,
Right. The shims I'm used to are wood, and cheap, I get that, and I can probably play with spearchucker refrigerator raising, testing, testing, but I don't know that I have a clear view on how to go about it, if I choose to accept the assignment. All this happened, on a dark stormy day, after the tile was put in. Which, truthfully, may be neither here nor there as to relevance.

I admit I've not dared to put the spearchucker under the refrigerator, nor do I have any kind of wide access to do that, or maybe the muscles. I used to have pry bars, but they were eliminated before I moved stuff. (I've an ex gardener with lots of my crap.)

But yes, I can lift a refrigerator slightly and toe in a wood shim. I can at least play with that. Thanks for the shim check.

chai2

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:54 am
Have you considered how much more energy efficient a new refrigerator would be?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:59 am
@chai2,
Of course, how clueless do you think I am?
I happen to be in a slough of despond re money. I am looking at making the f.king refrigerator work for a while longer.
chai2

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:04 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Of course, how clueless do you think I am?
I happen to be in a slough of despond re money. I am looking at making the f.king refrigerator work for a while longer.

I didn't mean it like you were clueless.

I was thinking how long/short a time it would take to recoup the cost.

jeez
ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:06 am
@ossobuco,
Of course tonight, The Fridge is quiet. Meantime, a fly is driving me nuts.
lmur

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:08 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Meantime, a fly is driving me nuts.

Fly too? heeheehee
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:10 am
@chai2,
That was the basis of my question, given getting guys out to spark up a refrigerator, so instead of railing at you, Chai, I get your point.
roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:20 am
@ossobuco,
You have a recent pm.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:23 am
@chai2,
Recouping the cost means you can front the cost.

0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:34 am
john hartford's washing machine song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kchV7-sAcI

rap
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Let me know when you're ready to give it a go and I'll come over and do some of the lifting for you.
0 Replies