Just got rid of my landline.

chai2

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:05 pm
I'm experiencing a momentary "urp, how will I function without a telephone?"

I'm sure just fine.

Wally only uses the cell to make calls. Maybe once a month picks up the telephone to make a call.

I'm at work during the day and can place calls from here.

I have a pay as you go to make calls while I'm running around.

We never answered the phone anyway. Based on the number of hangups, they were mostly telemarketers.

Am I missing something, or was it just that easy to cut the cord?

Does anyone here run into problems with telemarketers on their cell?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 3,244 • Replies: 28
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:07 pm
@chai2,
No, but I like to lay in bed and talk to my family and friends on my land line. It's really, really cheap for international calls - 2 pence per minute. I can't get that with a cell phone - but maybe you don't have to worry about that.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:17 pm
@chai2,
Two things for me :
1) during the black-out 5 - 6 years ago, only landlines worked. Old-skool, no fancy doodad landline phones were it. If you didn't have one, you couldn't keep in touch with the outside world. So, the $20 or so a month is cheap insurance to my way of thinking.
2) significant difference in the cost of international calling. I haven't been able to find a phone card for cell phones that has rates anything like the rates you can get for landlines.
chai2

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:34 pm
hmm..

don't make international calls....hardly make long distance ones. I'm not much of a phone talker.

In the event of a blackout, I don't think I'd really care about contacting someone in the outside world. If I had too, I could find a phone to use (neighbor).

so far, so good....

aidan

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:36 pm
@chai2,
then it's not an issue
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 03:39 pm
I keep one mostly for 911 calls. Not that I've had to use it. Land lines automatically tell the operator where you're calling from. From what I understand, not all cell phones will pinpoint your location.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:54 pm
I think it's been 5 years since I've had a landline. I just have no need for it due to my particular lifestyle and also having excellent cell coverage in my home location. However, I'm not elderly in fair to good health, have no wife, no kids and mostly work from home.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Two things for me :
1) during the black-out 5 - 6 years ago, only landlines worked. Old-skool, no fancy doodad landline phones were it. If you didn't have one, you couldn't keep in touch with the outside world. So, the $20 or so a month is cheap insurance to my way of thinking.
2) significant difference in the cost of international calling. I haven't been able to find a phone card for cell phones that has rates anything like the rates you can get for landlines.

You can sign up for Yak and get FREE long-distance calling for cell phones.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:07 pm
I'd get rid of my landline in a minute except that my dsl is tied to my despised telephone company. It remains less expensive than cable, cable making no sense to me as a person sans tv. I did try to cancel my cell phone out of financial concern and they suddenly offered me a minimal cell connection that fit my usage already, with much lower price, so that was a kind of lucking out.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:10 pm
@chai2,
trying to figger up when the last landline I had was...

prolly KC, which would be pushing 10 years.

as long as you get good cell signal at home (I don't right now) and you don't give your number on applications and surveys that wind up sold to evil people, it is great.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:21 pm
Once we got all of the family their own cell phones the land line was never used. I kept it for a year because there is an army rule that all soldiers must have a land line. Thing is this rule is almost universally ignored by young soldiers, young people don't have land lines now. After cutting the phone I decided that the land line was as useless as I had thought that it was, I paid the phone company for a year for no reason.

We get internet from the cable company, which is high speed and pretty terrific. If not for that I would cut the cable tv as well.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:50 pm
There's the little matter of always having the cell phone charged, not a problem for me lately, but it was with my first cell (either something wrong with the first one in the nineties or they're all vastly improved), and it might be a problem as I approach dotage. Let's say there is potential for it not to be charged in times of stress, electrical brownout, whatever. I sort of like having both, though I remain despising the phone company.
Foofie

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:58 pm
A cellphone can be on loudspeaker mode. That might be safer than having it next to one's ear. I do not like all the signal strength going though my head, so I prefer a landline. Also, right after 9/11, I think only landlines worked in NYC. Same with power outages.

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:08 pm
@chai2,
I've lived most of my adult life without a telephone. When i had employers who insisted that i be "reachable," i've always made them provide me a pager if they insisted. Later, i had employers who provided a cell phone, with the proviso that i pay for personal calls. So, i never gave out my cell number, or only gave it out to a select few. Later, i got a cell phone on a pay as you go basis, with no roaming charges, and no charge for incoming.

To me, it was always a blessed relief not to have had a phone, the more so as i saw how other people were tied and bound by their phones. I'm sure you'll have no problem with this.
djjd62

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:11 pm
@Setanta,
can you hear me now?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:12 pm
You'll have to speak up . . . i have a banana in my ear . . .
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:13 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Same with power outages.

phones working during power outages was always way cool. But it has been many many years since I have had one that did that, as I went to wireless phones, as did most everyone I knew.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:23 pm
@Mame,
however, if during that (or any) power failure, you had a landline that was a cordless phone (as most do), it'd be as dead as a doornail.

Also, if you do some more research, you can find International long distance for cell phones very cheap.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Cell phone batteries (as is the case for most small electronics) have vastly improved batteries. I always keep a backup fully charged rechargeable JUST in case.

In the case of my digicamera, Lithium Ion rechargeable is the best way to go. However, NiCad rechargeable are more than adequate.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 07:35 pm
It would be ironic if the Duracell bunny uses a landline.
0 Replies