Opening a Stubborn Pickle Jar

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:01 pm
In total frustration, I come to you folks for tips on opening the most stubborn pickle relish jar I have ever met. I live alone so handing it over to a muscle-headed guy isn't an answer unless I go knock on neighborhood doors to see if one lives nearby.

So far I've tried banging the edge of the jar lid on top of the counter several times.

I've tried running cold and then hot water over the jar lid with no success.

I've tried one of those flat rubber disks that help grip the jar to give you more traction.

I've wrapped a rubber band around the jar for traction.

I've rapped the side of the jar lid with a table knife.

I've banged on the bottom of the jar in hopes of breaking the vacuum.

I've run outta ideas....heeeeelp! Any one else have any?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,835 • Replies: 15
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:04 pm
I keep a gun in the house for such occasions.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:19 pm
LOL! Try using a can opener. You might ruin the lid, but you'll have your pickles.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:22 pm
Actually what I meant to suggest is a bottle opener. You know the ones with the pointy claws. You can borrow mine of you don't have one. If that doesn't work you could punch a hole in the cap to release the pressure.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:50 pm
What always works for me is to run the lid of the jar under hot water for about two minutes. Then, take a large metal spoon by the handle, and rap the rim of the lid with the spoon two or three times in the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:37 am
Aw, give up on it. For years I played "macho lady", and refused to open jars with anything but my hands. For awhile, I could not figure out why I developed arthritis in my "jar" hand, and especially hurt when opening jars, Duh! Embarrassed

Later in life, I bought myself a jar opener, and solved the problem completely.

Haven't tried this one, but it looks like it would fill the bill.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-bin/kitchen/prod/49oxeb2.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:00 am
I was about to suggest a ballpeen hammer, but, Dys has offered a solution that will work at least as well.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:30 am
So, Buterflynet, did you ever get the jar open?

This gadget works for me:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/capability/jarpop.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:08 pm
Yep, I got it open. This morning I bribed one of the maintenance guys to open it for me. Of course, he made it look easy as pie!

I was afraid that if I did any more banging on it, I'd end up breaking the glass in frustration.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:10 pm
Gotta love those maintenance guys ;-)
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:11 pm
Hmm, that jar pop thing looks interesting. I've tried those jar opener thingies before and most the time all it did was spin around on the lid without much traction.

That jar lid popper looks like it would do the trick. It's a fancy version of Montana's suggestion with the church key.

I don't own a church key so couldn't try it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:22 pm
I also have done all of the games of water, banging, knives, spoons, rubber lids, etc etc.
I bought an under counter can opener that came with a jar opener, a bag opener, tab top opener...which all comes in so handy!!! I certainly got my 15.00 worth Smile

Ohhh...heres the new version with all kinds of stuff! Looks like about 25-30.00. Its worth it.

Presto Hide and Sleek
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 04:29 pm
That thing looks pretty cool Quinn. I should get one for my mom for when my son and I are not home. Me and my son are the jar openers of the house when mom has a problem. She'd love that thing :-D Thanks for the link.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:04 pm
The best I've seen (but not tried) is called a gillhooey, honest. It has a vee shaped set of jaws which grip the lid, kind of on the same operating principle as a pipe wrench, which I have used with some success. The gillhooey is mounted under a cabinet so you can use both hands on the pickle jar. Salsa jars are worse, if anything.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:12 pm
The jarpop I linked above is perfect for salsa jars. It's like a churchkey, but better.

My mom used to love her under the counter opener, but she's given up cooking, so she doesn't need it anymore!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:14 pm
Personally, I think we all need a maintenance man ;-)
0 Replies