Got a good, basic seafood risotto recipe, anyone?

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:12 am
@margo,
Thanks, margo. You found it!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:22 am
@farmerman,

Quote:
When you are in a land with good seafood, my suggestion is DO NOT mix a bunch of flavors like seafood and chorizo together. Id think that they would be too busy fighting each other. AND, one of the rules of cooking (the way Cav used to say), try to keep it as simple as possible without losing the integrity of the dish.
Sometimes too many spices can interfere with the nice flavor of the seafood.

I hate all lobster dishes in which the lobster is all creamed up or mixed with something like tomatoes and bay leaves. Lobster (as with most seafoods) are flavors themselves and dont need any major masking (Unless of course youre in Albuquerque where seafood has to travel several days before even getting to a store)

I hear what you're saying & it does make sense. (And as if I'd ever disgree with anything Cav said about food & cooking! Smile ) Particularly IF the ingredients (fish) a really, really good. I'm reasonably comfortable though, to "interfere" with the natural flavours a bit (with other interesting flavours) if the fish is just "pretty good", or reasonably OK .... (if you can get what I'm trying to say here! Wink )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:25 am
@farmerman,
Ah! Thanks for that, farmer!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 01:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Checking in but not posting yet, from the land of totally awful seafood.

Really??? Shouldn't the shores of New Mexico be brimming with delicious fish?
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:12 pm
@Thomas,
That would have been the PErmian Sea, and then youd only have trilobites.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:32 pm
OK, so I cooked the simple seafood risotto last night. I chose that one mainly because I wanted to keep the meal as inexpensive as possible. (Over-spent on a few other essentials - tight budget going on here.) Anyway, not bad at all for my first effort. Lots left over for tonight. I know it's not PC to reheat (you're supposed to make arrancini (sp?), or something, out of it, I understand Wink) But seafood risotto again tonight!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:10 pm
@msolga,
Sorry for my soporifc post earlier, but I agree with myself, all fish is awful here. Ok, ok, some is flown in at much expense, but I don't go to those markets, they are a dozen or more miles away. I'm living in fish nada. I'm used to Santa Monica Seafood, well regarded, and certain purveyors in Humboldt County. This is fish hell. Virtually every fish in every restaurant comes frozen and pre encrusted, and arrives on your plate as a shelled thin layer of fish like substance in a carapace. This is startling.

I'll guess there are four or five restaurants that have a clue about fish, but this is not the norm. We are in Concrete Fish Land.

msolga

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:55 am
@ossobuco,
Sorry to hear this, osso. Especially if you are very keen on seafood!

But (I'm supposing) there are local specialty foods in your area that the rest of us us might die for. Yes?
0 Replies