more nukes for peace ala Orwell

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 12:01 pm
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - The Watts Bar Nuclear Plant is days away from becoming the only commercial nuclear station in the United States to produce both electricity for homes and isotopes for bombs.
The single-reactor station, owned by the Tennessee Valley Authority, will become the government's new source of tritium, a hydrogen isotope that enhances the explosive force of thermonuclear weapons.
Support for the station's new role, though, is far from unanimous. Opposition has come from both the private and public sectors.

Two federal officials, Democratic Rep. Edward Markey (news, bio, voting record) of Massachusetts and Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, tried to kill the proposal, (news - web sites)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 572 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 12:19 pm
The US nuclear deterrent is already formidable. Before reading this post I was just thinking about the fact that the dimplomatic message that procuring additional nukes sends is not worth the negligible difference in the deterrent capacity that would result.

Simply put, North Korea has withdrawn from the NPT. While they were bound by the NPT they were still suffering the same panelties that they would have suffered had their violations been known.

So it's a no-brainer for them to make nukes. It would be sheer folly not to.

Since the US has no legal right to demand the end of the Korean nuclear program we have to rely on the carrot (normalized trade relations etc) and the stick (already being employed in the form of delibating sanctions).

In such a tricky dance it's insipid to be seeking nuclear augmentation. We need more nukes like we need a third ass. The negligible difference it will make to our capacity for deterrence is simply not worth the glaring duplicity of the act when we are trying to coax cooperation out of a nation that sees no advantage to it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 01:29 pm
Tennessee Valley Authority is not a private entity, it is owned by the U.S. Government. That is where it all gets blurred, they can say it's more economical to have a dual use reactor, then again any country could use that dual purpose argument.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 01:36 pm
TVA isn't only 'owned' but 'governed' by the USA:
Quote:

TVA's Board of Directors consists of three members who are appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the Senate.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 04:25 pm
This is real old news. The enabling legislation is at least 10 yeRS OLD. The entire compact was printed in the RECORD , I believe in 2000. All this occured while guess who was president.
The point is, we already have a stockpile of thermonukes. AND they all contain Tritium and deuterium. The fact is, all thermonukes lose their "punch" by about 5% each year, due to half life. So , Congress, way back, recognized that all our weapons would have to be "regassed-up" before 2005, when the half life decay would start rendering them useless.

We arent creating any new bombs, were just re stocking the old ones.
I know, we shouldnt have "any" bombs. But no matter whether we agree or disagree on the strategy, I prefer being the toughest kid on the block. My only problem is whether our leadership is competent to hold these responsibilities.
Truthfully, I think Id make a better president than GW.
Im an ex alcoholic
I think Im ADD
I make up words and misunpronounce the real ones
My papa was highly decorated in WWII
I dont know how to run a baseball team either.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 04:36 pm
The current admin seems to be in luurve with "nukyuler" weapons. Consider the fact that they increased funding for smaller "friendly" tactical nukes. I have a feeling that before January 2005 Bushy-Poo II will authorize the use of these "happy friendly nukes" somewhere.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:46 pm
farmerman wrote:
We arent creating any new bombs, were just re stocking the old ones.

This is not true. The current administration has been making moves to develop and test smaller nuclear weapons.

Quote:
I know, we shouldnt have "any" bombs.

I disagree. The more the merrier.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:25 am
new weapons programs aside,what I meant was that the original purpose of the tritium production facility was to create enough tritium to reinflate existing thermonukes.
This was all accomplished by the Clinton admin (actually as a result of Congressional oversight)

Im going to work to make sure that the 'present administration" is lawfully retired.
0 Replies