New York, on a budget

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:59 pm
@Thomas,
everything I will bring with me fits into a back pack Smile Including my camera.

I dont know about anyone else, but I am traveling light because I want to see the entire island if possible.

Metro 7 day pass? Sounds cheaper for inner city transport then a taxi.
Getting from the aiport? Taxi. definitely
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:00 pm
And oops..

Wrong airport.
Airtran - Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Flight 575 [Non-Stop]
Departing Atlanta, GA (ATL) at 12:09 PM
Arriving Newark, NJ (EWR) at 02:24 PM
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
Actually, with only a back pack to carry, you have a better option: Take the New Jersey Transit commuter train to New York Penn Station.

Metro 7 day pass is a good way to get around in New York.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:15 pm
I seem to recall there being a bus that goes from Newark Airport as well. I took it once a few years ago. It was pretty quick and easy. I forget how much it was, but I know it has to be cheaper than the train. It dropped us off a block from Grand Central. If you're really being budget-conscious, that might save you a couple-few bucks at least. Then you could buy me a drink with it at the Frying Pan.

Of course, I would have to sit at one end of the bar and you and your friends would have to be at the other, lest I piss myself with fright.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:22 pm
@kickycan,
Oh, lordie, Kicky and Shewolf. Two people I'd really like to meet each other, never mind all our a2k bs. Unlikely, but, hey.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:24 pm
@kickycan,
(nods) Kicky is a shy and withdrawn one. Don't expect a conversation from him or anything, Shewolf.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm
@Thomas,
Snorting, even though I've not met the Kick.

I took the airport bus from Newark. Consider alternatives.
0 Replies

ossobuco

@Thomas,

0 Replies

ossobuco

@Thomas,

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 08:14 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I seem to recall there being a bus that goes from Newark Airport as well. I took it once a few years ago. It was pretty quick and easy. I forget how much it was, but I know it has to be cheaper than the train. It dropped us off a block from Grand Central. If you're really being budget-conscious, that might save you a couple-few bucks at least. Then you could buy me a drink with it at the Frying Pan.

Of course, I would have to sit at one end of the bar and you and your friends would have to be at the other, lest I piss myself with fright.

That's the Liberty bus I was talking about in another post.

Shewolf, you said there were 5 of you going? You won't all be able to fit in one taxi.

Thomas is right about the train too. That's fast.

Kicky, one of these days I'm gonna get up there, and I'd love to meet you too!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 10:41 am
@chai2,
Aak, sorry for the triple post.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:02 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Kicky, one of these days I'm gonna get up there, and I'd love to meet you too!

I would love it too! Osso, you too! One of these days...
Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:11 pm
@kickycan,
Osso doesn't much care for New York. Too close to Joisey, I guess....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:19 pm
@kickycan,
I have a mini plan to meet with Thomas and then hit manhattan, sometime in the future.

At such time I'd simply demand to meet the Kick and Mr. Nation, and others, Frankie, Robbie, Green Witch, even, oh gad, does a curl, HoT, whatever name. That would be a blast, cough.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:28 pm
@ossobuco,
But, back to shewolf's trip, which I'm all enthused about.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:35 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Then you could buy me a drink with it at the Frying Pan.

I would be honored.
It will be the best water with lemon you have ever had
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:36 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

(nods) Kicky is a shy and withdrawn one. Don't expect a conversation from him or anything, Shewolf.

Ahhhhh..

I wont be taking my friends with me Wink
So he does not have to be scared.
None of you do. I promise to be on my best behavior .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 04:40 am
As for transportation, we are not ALL doing the same things.
There are a few in the group who are only going to shop. They want clothes.

*yawn*

Then there is ME who wants to see everything. So I dont think it will be odd that the transportation issue will only belong to me because Im not about to spend a few days in NY just looking at expensive clothing. I mean, for entertainment purposes.. yeah.. I might take a glance at a pair of jeans for a couple hundred dollars, laugh at the very idea of owning a pair and then move on.

But I want to sight see.

I want to walk around China town and eat new things.
I want to listen to the language in Little Italy ( If that is close enough???)

Learned yesterday the beach water is.. well.. this side of toilet water so Im truly bummed about not getting to stroll the beach either.
I want to walk around a city where you have to bend and fold to make it down the sidewalk because it is bursting at the seams with people.
Then.. I want to find the patch of nature called central park.

I want NEW YORK style pizza.

I want photos of naked guitarists

Dragqueens

dancing homeless people

too many taxis

I just wanna be on busy city overload. **** shopping Smile
Roberta

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:12 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

But I want to sight see.

I want to walk around China town and eat new things.
I want to listen to the language in Little Italy ( If that is close enough???) Little Italy and China Town are right next to each other. No problem getting from one to the other.
Learned yesterday the beach water is.. well.. this side of toilet water so Im truly bummed about not getting to stroll the beach either. Not so sure about this. (Haven't been to the beach in a while.) Schlepping to the beach might eat up too much of your time, but if you really want to do this, investigate Jones Beach. Slightly outside the city, but one of the better ones.
I want to walk around a city where you have to bend and fold to make it down the sidewalk because it is bursting at the seams with people. Only during rush hour--mostly in midtown.Then.. I want to find the patch of nature called central park.Not hard to find. Enjoy!

I want NEW YORK style pizza. Try this when you're in Little Italy.

I want photos of naked guitarists Never saw a naked musician (in the street), and I've been here a long time. But you could wander around the East Village and hope for the best.

DragqueensShouldn't be too much of a challenge.
dancing homeless peopleAnywhere, if they're off their meds.
too many taxis No such thing. There's never enough taxis.
I just wanna be on busy city overload. Rush hour is time for transportation overload. It takes practice getting your footing on moving transportation. Have fun with this. **** shopping Smile Ditto.

Enjoy, enjoy.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:19 am
@shewolfnm,
Shewolf, if you just want to walk along the beach, and you're fine not going into the water, you might want to consider Coney Island. I'm not sure about the water, but the beach looked clean there.

Coney Island is in Brooklyn, so Roberta isn't familiar with it.