New York, on a budget

Thomas

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:06 am
@chai2,
But that makes you represent New Jersey, but not Setanta's remark about it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:26 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
That's the Manasquan River, flowing out into the Atlantic at the top of the picture.
I grew between those 2 bridges, ....

That explains a lot.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:38 am
@shewolfnm,
I stayed at the YMCA on 63rd, but even that was right around $100. That was in 2003, but last I checked it was still around there. On the other hand, I had a private room and bath. I'd have to double check, but I think they have differing room choices.
Osso in New York

I whined about the Y in a piece I wrote at a2k, but my complaints at the time were not about matters that would be usual. And the location was terrifically convenient, in my opinion.

I've long had ehBeth's Seaman's place on my NY Hotel list (now where did I put that), and agree re looking around Brooklyn or Hoboken as a likely smart alternative.

Adds, there's a photo museum I didn't get to that might interest you, International Center of Photography or a similar name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 10:38 am
@Setanta,
http://www.sihnyc.org/contact-seafarer-mission.php

call 'em

The location is outstanding. Subway and buses within a few minutes walk. Union Square (with its phenomenal Greenmarket) just around the corner. Fantastic fantastic Strand Books is maybe a 10 minute walk.

Check out Yelp for great food/party options.

I've stayed there 4 or 5 times now. Walter H, brendalee, The Empress and I stayed there. I'd recommend telling them you all want to stay on the same floor up front - see if you can get all of the rooms in one section. Then the 'shared bath' (separate toilet/shower rooms for about 2 - 3 single rooms) becomes shared just within your group. As I recall, The Empress and I shared a double with private bath (fridge too, which was handy) for about $110.

yelp yelp yelp!
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:35 pm
Im so excited. :0)

I took the number off of that site. I will call them in a bit

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

New York.

Gosh. Now Im scared to death.
This will be my first airplane flight ever..

ever

oh my what have i done
Green Witch

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:53 pm
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
Now Im scared to death.
This will be my first airplane flight ever..

Just think about all the airports all over the world and how many planes take off every minute of the day and arrive safely. The odds are excellent that you will be fine.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:57 pm
@shewolfnm,
it ain't any harder than jumping a freight...

you will be fine.

I wanna hear how the city looks as you land, in your words...

have fun

(clean out your purse before you hit security...)
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:00 pm
You'll have to go to the Museum of Natural History and drink a cup of tea under the Blue Whale....

http://www.amnh.org/hostanevent/images/hol_large.jpg

And go to the Hayden Planatarium next to it...

http://www.visuallee.com/weblog/images/rose_planetarium.jpg

You can take some wonderful pictures of Grand Central Station, inside and out...

http://www.newyorkstatesearch.com/photos/New_York_City/photographs/Grand_Central_Station_Outside_Night.jpg
http://www.genestho.ca/genestho/images/20060604112224_nyc_grand_central_station.jpg

and the lions outside the public library...

http://www.worldalmanac.com/blog/0801NYPL%20Lion.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 01:21 pm
oh...I assume you're flying into Newark Airport.

Best way (I think) to get into Manhattten is the Newark Liberty Airport Express.
Round trip ticket is about $25, and it takes you to Penn Station, Port Authority, or Grand Central.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 04:06 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

http://www.sihnyc.org/contact-seafarer-mission.php

call 'em

The location is outstanding. Subway and buses within a few minutes walk. Union Square (with its phenomenal Greenmarket) just around the corner. Fantastic fantastic Strand Books is maybe a 10 minute walk.

I can vouch for that. See this thread.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 02:02 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

oh...I assume you're flying into Newark Airport.

Best way (I think) to get into Manhattten is the Newark Liberty Airport Express.
Round trip ticket is about $25, and it takes you to Penn Station, Port Authority, or Grand Central.

I prefer LaGuardia. (Closer to the city.) Ground transportation to and from the airport is (I think) $10 one way. You can google info about this.

I'm excited for you, Shewolf. Wolfie's comin' to da Big Apple.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:28 am
Yea, STRAND BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 03:38 am
Someone, I have no idea who, was talking about youth hostels (which take all ages, actually) in NYC recently, so I googled that and got this, among other things. If I'm readinbg it right, you can get a bunk in a multi-person dorm room for under $25 a night (and one I looked at had a private room, shared bath, for around $75). You have to click the "book now" button to find rates.
http://www.hostels.com/us.ny.ny.html
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 04:18 pm
@MontereyJack,
Isn't Strand just the best! I wear my Strand lapel pin on one of my winter coats (so, most of the year, eh Wink ).

I usually go in at least every other day on a trip. I always buy a couple of $1 books from the racks outside - read 'em and then leave them at the Seafarer's for the next bunch of readers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 04:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
I recommend that anyone checking into the hostel thing find out if there are actual doors and walls with their accommodation. A former coworker went to one of the Manhattan hostels a couple of years ago - there were about 20 people to a room - with sheets hung up as room dividers. She said it was a bit too noisy (even by New York hotel standards) to sleep.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:44 am
@shewolfnm,
So - who are you flying with, and what airport will you be arriving at.

Lots of options depending on where you land.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:38 pm
I will be landing at LaGuardia.. ? Is that how you spell it?

In Nj.

Staying in Manhattan.. taking some bus, or cabby or something from the airport to the hostel. Have yet to figure out exactly WHICH hostel.

Will be staying close to , ( looking down at a map right now) ... close to the southern tip of the island , close to land. Laughing gosh that makes no sense.

There is a passport office there. That is someones "need" for this trip. To renew her passport to sweden and some where else. That is actually what sparked this entire idea to begin with.

Traveling around the island is the plan besides that.
Oh yeah.. and meeting

*ahem*

Joe ( i feel like he is a celebrity ) Nation.
Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:43 pm
@shewolfnm,
Uh -- LaGuardia is actually in Queens, not in New Jersey. And if you travel together with your friends, I'd take a taxi. The convenience of not carrying your baggage around in an unknown city is worth the $20-$25 for a taxi to the South of Manhattan Island. Good plan about meeting Joe Nation!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:53 pm
@Thomas,
I gotta say, as the wallet watching wonder, that a precisely timed taxi can be well worth it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:55 pm
@ossobuco,
The thing I still don't know, as I think Diane and I split the fee on our taxis.. is that what happened re us is true, that 'a couple' splits the ride. Is this so?
0 Replies