Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 08:32 pm
@moneycometh,
homework?
farmerman

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 08:37 pm
@chai2,
try this from patio planners

Quote:
When you decide which type of bricks to use, you will need to figure out exactly how many you'll need to complete your brick patio design. A basic rule of thumb, if you are using 4 by 8 inch bricks, is to measure the square footage (length times width) of the area to be paved and multiply that by 5. Then add 5 percent to the total to factor for defects and wasted bricks.

For example, if your patio area measures 10 feet by 20 feet, that equals 200 square feet. 200 (square feet) times 5 (approximate number of bricks per square foot) equals 1,000. 1000 plus 5 percent equals 1,050. That means you would need to buy about 1,050 bricks (assuming they are 4" x 8") to pave this patio. When in doubt, always buy more than you actually need because it could be hard to find matching brick if you don't get enough the first time
chai2

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 08:48 pm
@farmerman,
yes, so buy 1055.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:13 pm
@moneycometh,
True 4 x 8's...it takes 4.5 of them to make a square foot...I just got home from laying some....but it depends on which pattern you choose, say if you are going to lay them on a diagonal, then a straight border around the perimeter...that can change the count a bit...more waste for the angles, unless you know what you are doing....but if you really don't know what you're doing....figure even more waste...but I'd say...about 3,250 bricks should do it.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:17 pm
@2PacksAday,
i've heard that brick laying is more difficult than brick stacking.

you are saying this is true?
2PacksAday

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 01:03 am
@Rockhead,
Do you mean as in laying them on a driveway, vs building a wall?

Well for me personally, laying them flat would be far easier....being that most of my work in the past 20 odd years has been more on the ceramic tile side of things as apposed to verticle brick laying...really depends on several things, if you were laying over existing concrete....pavers....I don't even have to think about it to lay those...but if you're doing an open patio...sand application...or even the real deal...beaten into a fresh mud bed....then that gets a lot more difficult, the prep work and such.....so I'd say the average person might fair better verticle...vs flat in that case...really depends on how fast they pick up on the brick trowel.

It's all a matter of practice, but working the trowel is prob the most difficult thing to teach someone....you can show them the moves, and that's about it...they have to learn it on their own. Verticle brick laying, leans heavy on proper trowel use...and it isn't an easy tool to learn...I've trained...eh 30 guys probably, mostly in the ceramic tile field, and when I would get a stone or brick job...no matter how good they were with notched or flat plastering trowles...none of them could work a brick trowel for ****. Eh, of course the first time I would screw with them by handing them my trowel I call "Stoney"....he's the big boy, that I use when I'm backfilling...or just moving a lot of mortar...stone work....but once they cried, I'd hand them the normal sized one.
0 Replies